Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Monkeytrucker

Fire cause investigators just left.

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

The insurance company sent 2 fire cause investigators here today from Indianapolis, IN.  Had to cost them a grand at least just to see the cause of what caused the building which they will only cover to $2,600.  That is before they take out $500 deductible and then depreciate a 100 year old structure.  

The investigators moved all of the roof tin out of the driveway so they could get "good photos" of the bike.  They pilled it on the building remains and now we will have to remove them to get to the ash pile to document items in building.  

I felt like a baby blubbering when I saw the bike all naked.  The lead guy said he has a 76 naked Gold wing.  Maybe he will have a spot of sympathy for us.  As he was getting ready to leave he did say that it appears to have been a spark in fueling as the cause.  However he has to research plastic gas cans and static electricity.  

Because of the prospect of rain I wore my jacket and a rain hat.  I showed them the liner material singed.  However they pointed out that the bottom corner of the jacket outer material was melted.  Neither Estella or I had seen that.  I am truly lucky that I had my safety gear on.  If not I would be sitting here, if I was lucky, with this darned greasy stuff all over me instead of just my face.

Now that they have photos I can go get my beard trimmed today. 

OnaWingandaPrayer

Hopefully now that they have seen the remains , a check will soon be in your hands. 

The bike is replaceable should you want to. The sad part is all the priceless historical items that are lost forever. :(

Monkeytrucker

After lunch Estella and I went to the barber.  We took the camera to get photo of trim but I forgot to put the camera card in.  Barbers wife who is an LEO was in there and when he looked at my damaged beard his question was what happened.  I told him and his wife said "That was you?  I heard the call and immediately called home to see if it was his bike." 

He trimmed all of the burned ends off both beard and eyebrows.  We forgot to get the long section he trimmed off.  Estella was happy because the barber has his almost 4 year old daughter on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  She is supposed to stay in the back room but she came out to ask daddy a question and Estella made an instant friend.

I miss stroking my long beard already.

Monkeytrucker

Now the insurance company is wanting us to sign a release to all of our financial information.  I am balking at that.  If they want to check they can send our "AGENT" here and we will gladly show them that we owe nothing but a little bit on Estella's car and if/when I sell the antique John Deere model A that will be gone.  

I had less problems when I went thru my security clearance years back.

And the motorcycle insurance is saying they will look at the average sales value of Gold Wings in our area to determine what they will pay.  Again I have looked on cycle trader and all are in the 12-13,000 range less accessories.  Wanna bet against them finding some rebuilt wreck for $5,000.  Paid our bike insurance for the whole year at the start so we expect a good and fair settlement.

I have demanded a new adjuster on the property damage.  This adjuster is the one we forced to pay for the damage at a fair and actual value on the building when the tree fell thru it.  He is out for revenge I am sure.

Ghost Rider 2

12 to 13 range is high around this area. you can pick up a 2012 or 2013 for that range.   A 2010 with 9,800 miles just sold here for $9,200.  I have had my 2002 on market this best offer I have had is $4,000.   The are looking at what bikes are selling for not what people are asking price for them.  I am not saying they are right but with a world of bargin online insurance quotes and premiums they cut cost one way or the other.

Monkeytrucker

I sure hope they do not talk to you.  In our area Wings are rare on sale.  We know we are probably going to be put over a barrel.

Parman

I'm thinking about selling mine. I ran the KBB and the NADA on it and it is in the $10000 - 13500 range depending on condition and miles. That's a 2010 with XM/Nav/comfort [package and I'm just shy of 45000 miles on it. The average is 39000 miles on a 2010 so I'm a little above the average.

Monkeytrucker
59 minutes ago, Parman said:

I'm thinking about selling mine. I ran the KBB and the NADA on it and it is in the $10000 - 13500 range depending on condition and miles. That's a 2010 with XM/Nav/comfort [package and I'm just shy of 45000 miles on it. The average is 39000 miles on a 2010 so I'm a little above the average.

The insurance company said those book prices are not for insurance use.  Our mileage before we took the 200 mile trip was as shown.  These are the photos we sent the insurance company to prove they were on there and today Estella and I cut all of the burned corrugated roof into 5' lengths and stacked them on the trailer.  Finding things already like my missing small tool box.  Found the Father in Law's chainsaw that we thought the other son in law got.  Hot work and now the dirty work begins.  Photographed the parts that were on the bike today. Found the circuit board for the GPS. Had to be because it was laying on top of the instrument circuit boards and did not have the shape of the display board which was in the jumbo.  This afternoon I am going to get Frankentruck down there and lift the bike up and move it out of the way so we can stack pieces of what we will be finding in the ashes. 

Still think the adjusters for each company will blame the other.  If we do not get a different adjuster for the building Estella will have to handcuff me to a post when he comes here.

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

youngnbald

Who is the insurance company?  I have Progressive and my agent will fight tooth and nail if any issues arise.

Monkeytrucker

Pekin insurance out of Pekin, IL on the building and contents.  Safe Co on the motorcycle.  Both were sold to us by the same "AGENT" who is Estella's cousin.  In fact Pekin has 2 policies on this place due to the house Estella's mother lived in and it has her artifacts in such as her Hammond organ.  We have registered our displeasure with our "AGENT" about Pekin sending in the adjuster who we took to task when the tree fell thru my shop roof and forced him to cough up much more than what he wanted to give.  Guess it cut into his "Screw the Customer Bonus."

So we feel he is going to try to get even.

The fact is that we hired an "AGENT" to find us the best value for the money.  The name above their door says "Co***** Insurance AGENCY"  We always had our agents in the past stand up for us.  Guess times have changed, maybe the term AGENT just stands for sales person who does not represent their customer.

The Safe Co insurance on the motorcycle has been quiet even after I sent them the photos of the items on our 1800.   

• Sad 1

youngnbald

I had different agents in my past, but the one I have now can't be replaced.  She has several insurance companies to choose from and she really goes to bat for me.  Answering questions, giving scenarios and hunting all price options given the toys, camper, motorcycles, house, etc.  I had to use progressive once for a claim on the previous motorcycle and my jaw dropped at the amount they came up with, in a great way!  Basically paid me to fix my bike.  $3,000 for accessories as long as I could prove they were on there.  Showed a photo and done.  I was told NEVER use Geico!  You save money because they don't have agents local to fight your rights.  A friend dealt with them and the person was in California.  Totally got screwed.  They state a number and that was it.

My agent would shove back and research why that answer is not allowed.  Years ago I did have Pekin insurance through my agent, but no claims so I can't say how they would have been.  She put me with Safeco on the camper.  Said they would do well with that toy.

Good luck buddy!  See you soon and hopefully your agent acts more than a sales person.  I have seen agents be fighters and win.  Not sure how that business works.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Today, after much cajoling and complaints from the adjusters about my being combative with them, our agent, Estella's cousin, finally came out and looked at the mess.  I explained to him that if he had come out the next day an told us what was to go on then things would have been much better.  

I took him on a tour of the things we have pulled out, the things we can see still in there, asked him if we can move the lump that was the 1800, and what to do with all of the roof metal we have on our trailer.  He told us that the fire inspectors preliminary report was plastic gas can static when it touched the metal funnel.  Now we are to list all items down to bolts, washers and nuts.  I pointed out some expensive items that I have the new value on.  Big question is am I going to have to buy a $863.99 receding 1"-1.5"-2" pipe threader or a J.H. Williams Vulcan 14 chain pipe tongs at $360.00 to get paid.  My health says I am not going to be wrenching 16" pipe or threading 2" pipe. 

So on the 1800 our adjuster is supposed to make sure things are going to progress.  AND, if we find their offer short then it will be his agent duty and try to get more.  Maybe if we can get $$ for the bike loss we can hire someone to sift thru the building. 

Monkeytrucker
Just now, Monkeytrucker said:

Today, after much cajoling and complaints from the adjusters about my being combative with them, our agent, Estella's cousin, finally came out and looked at the mess.  I explained to him that if he had come out the next day an told us what was to go on then things would have been much better.  

I took him on a tour of the things we have pulled out, the things we can see still in there, asked him if we can move the lump that was the 1800, and what to do with all of the roof metal we have on our trailer.  He told us that the fire inspectors preliminary report was plastic gas can static when it touched the metal funnel.  Now we are to list all items down to bolts, washers and nuts.  I pointed out some expensive items that I have the new value on.  Big question is am I going to have to buy a $863.99 receding 1"-1.5"-2" pipe threader or a J.H. Williams Vulcan 14 chain pipe tongs at $360.00 to get paid.  My health says I am not going to be wrenching 16" pipe or threading 2" pipe. 

So on the 1800 our adjuster is supposed to make sure things are going to progress.  AND, if we find their offer short then it will be his agent duty and try to get more.  Maybe if we can get $$ for the bike loss we can hire someone to sift thru the building. 

A second question is who is going to pay for the building.  Agent said the motorcycle insurance saying "you cannot burn your own building" sounds wrong.  "If you are burning leaves and the fire gets away from you and burns down your house then it is an accident and your insurance will pay."  So being the building fire was cause by the exploding gas can....  Maybe....

m2102

It sounds like you have a battle on your hands Gary. When o wrecked my 1500 my agents office ran me around d. State Farm. I called their 800 # znDC told them what they were doing. I was told to deal direct with main office. I asked when an adjuster would be sent to look at the bike they told me they dont have adjusters for bikes. Not sure I believe that. They asked my opinion on value and I told them what I found on nadas and kbb. They contacted the dealer it was taken to, a honda dealer, and he said it was totaled. I got the gear I was wearing, thank goodness, replaced and after the $500 deductible I got about 1k more for the bike than I originally paid for it. It was enough that I paid cash for my 1800.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I was out there today taking photos of some emerging Chevy engine parts.  Lifted up on a section of board and found our canoe outboard.  I thought the grandson had got it when he got the canoe.  Needless to say it will not run again.  About $660 to replace it.  

Still waiting for Liberty Mutual (safeco) to step up and cover the building and contents.  Think they are going to protest a bit.

Now it looks like we are going to have to replace our furnace.  When it rains it pours....

• Surprise 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,