Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Kar650

GL1500 voltage gauge

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

Kar650

What voltage gauge do use and were did you mount it. Alternator went bad Friday evening 100 miles from home, If I had some warning maybe wouldn't have been that far away.

Thanks Ken  

pwhoever

I had one on my 1800 that the previous owner had installed. It was a small rectangular digital display and was mounted with velcro behind left speaker grille. That went bad early summer and I went with this one:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Monitor-12V-Battery-Meter-2-5-30V-DC-Auto-Gauge-Digital-Voltmeter-LED/112458276648?itemId=112458276648

It has a little wider faceplate than the other so I used some double double sided foam tape and then attached the velcro to that and mounted it in the same place. The display is a bit larger than my old one that makes it easier to read. It seems plenty bright.

Bluthundr31

Mike, that's a really cool looking digital unit.  The blue would match my dash/radio and look really cool.  Forgive my "rookie" question though, , ,do you just tap into the output terminal of the alternator with one wire, and the other wire goes to ground, then mount the display somewhere on the bike?

Mountain Rider

Mike, thanks for posting that link. I've been wanting to add one to the 1800, but looking at the price, I kept asking myself, "could it really be that good?".  I guess you answered that question. 

pwhoever
6 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

Mike, thanks for posting that link. I've been wanting to add one to the 1800, but looking at the price, I kept asking myself, "could it really be that good?".  I guess you answered that question. 

I was clued into it as a replacement for my defective one by Jobe. He has been using the same one and is happy with it. I decided to give it a try as well and so far so good.

pwhoever
On 8/21/2018 at 12:37 AM, Bluthundr31 said:

Mike, that's a really cool looking digital unit.  The blue would match my dash/radio and look really cool.  Forgive my "rookie" question though, , ,do you just tap into the output terminal of the alternator with one wire, and the other wire goes to ground, then mount the display somewhere on the bike?

I tapped into the positive and negative wires for the power port in the left pocket on my 1800. I put spade connectors in line to make it easier for the times I have to pull the dash. I also used the power port feed because it is switched so the display is only on when key is in On or Aux position. I'm sure there is some kind of wiring that you could tap into or you could even run wires to the aux in the fuse box.

And I also tested this volt meter directly off the battery and got the same voltage reading from there as well as the wiring for the power socket. To check further, I tested both locations with a multimeter and both pretty much displayed the same readings.

Mountain Rider

That's awesome, I've got a blue one coming. I should be able to have it wired in before we head to Washington, which would be good. 

pwhoever

Here is where I put mine.

20180822_103525.jpg

• Like 2

pwhoever

And here is a view from drivers position. I usually have my phone in that Ram mount on left handlebar holder and I can still see the volt meter

20180822_103556.jpg

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

Now that's clever, would never have thought of putting it there. I'd have been cutting holes in stuff. Thanks. 

Bluthundr31

That is great, , do you have one mounted on the 1500??  If so, is it in the speaker grille too?  I'll have to check the grille on my 1500 to see if one fits there.  It might be too big/deep to fit on mine, , , but it would be a great place to put one.

pwhoever

I just took a look at my 1500 and you are probably right. Not a lot of clearance between the speaker and the grille. I have a different volt meter on my 1500. It is the Kuryakyn 4219 shown below and I mounted it to the ignition panel. It has served me well but I do like having a digital gauge much more as it is more accurate. If it were me, and I was replacing the kuryakyn one, I would look into mounting it somewhere on the ignition panel. Maybe removing the Goldwing badge and customizing a replacement out of plastic to replace the badge??? Or carefully cutting out a rectangular hole also in ignition panel and fitting it there.

kuryakyn_led_battery_gauge_750x750.jpg

• Like 1

oldmopars

So this is what my bike came with, was this stock from Honda? I assume so as it looks like it would be. Its a 96 SE

dash.jpg

pwhoever

No, not stock. Those were an accessory switch panel that were custom made and sold by Firecreekacc.com but they sold out all their remaining stock some time ago...

2018-08-24 15.24.10.jpg

oldmopars

Oh, OK thanks. I knew I had seen them on very few other GL1500, but it looks like factory so I assumed it was. I did look at the parts fiche and did not see it, so I wondered.

Bluthundr31
(edited)

That accessory switch panel would be great!!!  Anyone have any idea if they can still be found.  I'd love to get one in bison brown though.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bluthundr31

Mountain Rider, , , That voltmeter install turned out GREAT!!!  I'm envious of the 1800's for having that spot for a voltmeter so convenient.  I'm not having any luck with finding that Firecreek ignition panel, so if the Drok voltmeter comes in before I find one, , I'll try to mount it BELOW the dash, inside the fairing.  I'll get some pics to show.

Bluthundr31

Things JUST changed, , , AZgl1800 (John) found/bought a firecreek ignition panel (no holes) knowing a few folks were looking for one.  I won the "race" to PM him so my voltmeter ideas are going to work out GREAT!!!  THANKS JOHN!!! 

AZgl1800

going to make some phone calls Tuesday to some local Plastic Manufacturers in the Tulsa, OK area that seem to be doing unique things...

dunno if any of them will take on a small hobby project, but if one of them will, thinking to order up some more made for future 1500 owners.

• Like 1

Bluthundr31

I received the Firecreek ignition/gauge panel on Monday, (Thanks again John), and it is in pristine condition.  I'm "HELL-BENT" on exploring the possibility of "reviving" this panel, , or something very similar for the 1500's.

I have no idea how this "project" is going to end up, , , but if there is enough interest in these panels,, , , it'll be fun. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,