Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Mountain Rider

What are you running on the front?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

The title says it all.  I recently installed an Avon Roadrider and have about 1000 miles on it.  The down side is it's already starting to cup.  :facebook-reactions-sm:  I have Avon Cobras on the Aspy and have been very happy with them, and looked at a Dunlop E4 and considered one as well.  The reviews on the E4 seem to lean toward good handling, but poor mileage, hate the tar snakes, and a hard ride.  The Avons get good reviews for handling, smooth ride, decent mileage, and very forgiving on the tar snakes.  That being said, the reviews lean toward the Avon, but what else is out there that you use and would return to?  Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, tell your story, please.  

AZgl1800

I have an Avon RoadRider on the front, it is a rear tire mounted backwards.

do you have 44 psi in the tire?

if you don't it will cup early...

also, are you using Dyna Beads or other beads?

if not, it will tend to cup....

Mine is too new to even notice what it might be doing, but I had 14,000 miles on the previous tire with no cupping.

it had Dyna Beads in it, and I kept it at 44 psi.

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Mine is mounted backward as well , running 41 PSI, and using Ride-on to balance.  There may be an issue with the front bearings as well, I don't know.  I have new bearings ready to go in, and may clean out the Ride-on and switch to the Dyna beads or just pull this tire for now and get a replacement, at least for our trip.  

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bluthundr31

A few thousand ago I put an Avon Cobra on front with dyna-beads and the "reviews" are 100% correct, they also grip the road better than anything else I've tried.  The Avon Cobra replaced an old EII and the difference was eye-opening.  I plan on an Avon to replace the rear when it goes south, (Dyna-beads will be installed with the Avon). 

Parman

Dunlop E-4. I have about 9000 miles on it with no issue so far. I'm getting decent wear.

Trip

I installed E-4's this past April. Took a 3,000 mile trip from Texas to South Dakota this past June. So far, I'm very happy with the handling and wear of the E-4's. I've got over 4,000 miles and they look like they're brand new.

jlburnnn

I have E4's front and rear. Front has 15,115 and rear has 5,681, I just looked. The front shows very little wear looks like new and the rear look's like the day I put it on. I run 41 psi front and rear a little more. I ride about 2 miles at 35 miles an hour to the station to check the air most of the time, so my real cold psi might be around 38 psi. If I'm going for a long ride out of town I check and fill them up at home where the tire is cold and the psi is correct. My E4's handle great and ride smooth as a baby's butt, don't fellow anything except bad payment that need's repair. It not the tire it is the road. I'll buy another set the next time I need tire's unless someone show's me something better. Thanks

jlburnnn

Another thing I would consider with tire's is a motorcycle tire has a stiff side wall, and if you have a flat it is a little better getting stopped. Just my option. I have always heard this and don't know if it is fact. Dunlop makes pretty good MotorCycle tires. 

Mountain Rider

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the great info.  I think I'm going to go with the Avon Cobra, and a set of Centramatic balancers all the way around.

terryj

I ride on the E-4's also, have about 7K on them and they look pretty good. They handle good in the rain.  I went through 2 sets of Bridgestones before buying the E-4's, I like them much better. 

Mountain Rider

Terry, how do they act on grooved pavement?

terryj

Dave, the do very good on grooved payment, no problems

Pepe

I don't think I'm a complete idiot, some may disagree though.  I have just got back into riding after a lengthy hiatus, and obviously things change.  I am looking at replacing my  rear tire.  My buddy seems to think it's worn.  Bike is in winter storage (north of 49) so won't be able to check for another couple of months. In the interim I have been looking at E4s or Bridgestones.  My PROBLEM is I am completely confused when it comes to the use of Radials and Bias or a mixture of both.    If you guys/gals could help this aging mind I would greatly appreciate it.  

RogueWing936

Avon cobras with Centramatic balancers is what I run.. 

Mountain Rider

Scott, how do you like the Centramatics?  I'm seriously considering a set for my 1800.  

RogueWing936

Centramatics are great at speed (above 15 MPH) at slower speed you will feel a wobble, at first I thought I had something wrong but it was just the beads moving until I had enough speed

terryj

Steve, there are advantages to both type of tires, radial vrs bias ply, it depends on the type of riding. Seeing how you ride a heavy touring bike and not at break neck speeds then a bias ply tire should fit the bill okay. I know that Honda comes from the factory with radial tires and radial tires are fine. Radial tires have a softer sidewall and therefore allow the bikes tire contact patch to stay put on the ground a bit better due to the flex of the sidewall, also radial tires shed heat much faster than bias ply tires. Bias ply tires have a stiffer sidewall and are better at handling the weight that these heavy touring bike put on tire and because of the stiffer side walls they will not "wash out" in a turn as fast as a radial does. 

This is one reason I went with the E-4's, it's the way they are constructed, you get the best of both the radial and the bias ply in one tire. 

Pepe

Terry, as usual a wealth of information you are.  My riding is on secondary blacktop in eastern Ontario and the mountains north of Montreal.  Of course also some freeway.  I'm going with the E4's

terryj

Steve, the most important thing you can due with your tires is to keep them properly inflated. Tire manufactures recommend inflation pressures for a reason, this is for safety and tire life. 

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,