Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Bluthundr31

Sight-Glass repair/cleaning for clutch/brake reservoir

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Bluthundr31
(edited)

The sight-glass, used for viewing the level of fluid in the clutch and brake reservoir, is "cloudy" and useless for checking the level of fluid.  I have no doubt that prolonged exposure to the sun added to my "mucked up" glass.  I've put "hex-head" screws on both cover plates, , but it'd be easier if I could just "look" and see the fluid level.

Does anyone have a decent method of "repairing" or "cleaning" them so that they are more "see-through" and usable?  

I have lots of cleaning products but I don't want to damage the reservoir.  Would a dremel with polishing wheel do the trick?  Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. 

Edited by Bluthundr31

roscoepc

If that window is plastic and I suspect it is I would NOT use a Dremel as there would be too much chance of getting the plastic hot due to heat.. A mild/fine abrasive used with a Q-Tip might work.

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Take a look on eBay, there are several cycle vendors that sell a window replacement kit.  

Just an update, I checked eBay and found kits for your 1500 for between $11 and $21.  New glass, problem solved.  Good luck.

Edited by Mountain Rider

Bluthundr31

Don:  Good point, , that window will heat up rapidly if dremel rpm's are too high.  Thanks

Dave:  I'll check em out, , , thanks !

I was hoping to figure a way to fix the plastic window with some sort of cleaning, or polishing, , , but maybe "glass" is the way to go and solve the problem.

Mountain Rider

Dennis, I believe these are just replacement plastic lenses, not actual glass, though I could be wrong.  But they are new, clear, and come with new seals and clips.  Considering the number of years its taken to cloud the originals, these would probably perform well for quite some time.  

• Like 1

AaronzDad

This is what I bought for my '87 GL1200 just a couple weeks ago - and I understand the 1500's use the same master cylinders.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N20CXY0

I did a complete rebuild of the clutch hydraulic system with rebuild kits in the master and slave, new oil seal in the clutch cover, and new stainless wrapped hose from HEL Performance.

Getting the old one out was a bit of a struggle, but getting the new one in was a royal pain in the @$$.

I used a small socket inside the Master and just leveraged a screwdriver against it to press out the old one. After it's out you have to double and triple check to make sure you get the metal sleeve out as well. The lens just pops out and that metal sleeve outer part is stuck in there tight.

There are several youtube videos and forum pictorials showing folks pressing in the new window with a socket but I didn't have any luck with that. I just ended up smooshing the metal sleeve of the new window and had to try again with the other one. I was VERY happy to have the extra at that point lemme tell ya.
I finally got it pressed in using a small chunk of relatively soft wood and a C-clamp. Even with my wife helping I just couldn't get the C-clamp, master cylinder, socket, and sight window all lined up properly. With the wood it was less slippery and much easier to handle.
I called that thing several unkind words.