Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Monkeytrucker

Very Hard Decisions

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Household commander decided we are going camping for 5 days and 4 nights.  Got my tablet loaded with books to read and everything ready to go in the Fiat.  Not pulling with the bike due to some checkered weather prognostications.  We do not say that dirty 4 lettered word that starts with R.  If we do it happens, well unless you are wanting it to do all of your watering.

• Like 1

Halfling
25 minutes ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Household commander decided we are going camping for 5 days and 4 nights.  Got my tablet loaded with books to read and everything ready to go in the Fiat.  Not pulling with the bike due to some checkered weather prognostications.  We do not say that dirty 4 lettered word that starts with R.  If we do it happens, well unless you are wanting it to do all of your watering.

Where you guys headed Gary?

Monkeytrucker

We went to Lake Shelbyville at Shelbyville, IL.  Camped surrounded by woods is a little off the beaten path Army Corps of Engineers camp ground.  They had probably 40 full service sites and another 40 so electric and maybe a couple dozen tent sites with pads and fire rings.  Opossum Creek.  Or as we say Possum Creak.  

No internet, no radio, no news, did have cell coverage but very few know our number.  Did get one call and it was from Estella's dermatologist telling her the cultures that came back on her arm did show infection.  DUH! That is why we went back to them because where they froze a spot was obviously infected.  

Have not even looked at any news yet so if WWIII has started we would not know it.  If we did not have my MD appointment today, Visiting Nurses tomorrow for my rat poison level test, Estella's home health/help lady, and grass that needs mowing we just might have stayed a couple more days.  The weekend campers all left and we were only one of two campers in our leg of the camp grounds.

Had and interesting talk with a gentleman my age about he and his wife living in their motor home.  Not shappy but not fancy MH.  What he told me was shocking to me.  They had sold their property when there was a deal they could not turn down.  Bought the used home, fixed it a little by simply re doing furniture and some appliances, had the running gear all checked and repaired anything the diesel pusher needed.  They go to various Army corps of Engineers sites and like this one they can stay 20 days, file for an extension for 20 days and they if there is no need for their site they can stay for another 20 days.  Costs them $12 a night.  Electricity, water, sewer all in that price.  So for $84 a week plus their camper insurance, cell phone, and gas and insurance for their little car that is about it.  Say $400-500 a month.  Sure made me start thinking.  That is way less that what our utilities and other expenses are here.  We burn 5 gallons of gas a week mowing.

After much talking this camping time I think the Wing is going to be sold.  I am just scared of the gravel road, the macular degeneration in my right eye and it is starting in my left eye.  I guess there is a time when one's feeling of invincibility stops.  Estella still wants to ride but she does not understand how much is required to keep 1400 lbs. of bike and riders upright and safe.  A trike would be nice because she could drive but a trike is out of the $$ question.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Gary, not riding is a decision only you can make. You will have to carefully convince Estella it's for the safety of  you both.

I know trikes and kits are quite expensive. The outrigger style is much less costly and might allow you a bit more time . You might consider a small convertable ?  

Monkeytrucker

I keep looking at the wing and have much indecision.  It is a 2010 but we bought it new in August of 2012.  Other than having been driven in and out on a gravel road it has been well cared for.  Belly pan, keryakin back rest, arm rests, rivco trailer hitch, Isolater on lights, full Baker Wind wings, only Mobil one oil in it, Yokohama car tire on back, E3 on front, balance beads in both.  40,000 miles.  

I am really conflicted about this decision.  Maybe a camper like a 5th wheel from the money from the sale of the bike.  I have my 1985 D-100 dodge pickup back after my Grandson drove it for 5 years.  Slant 6, 4 speed but too small to pull a camper.  However I have a 2004 Dodge durango out back with no motor.  Might be fun putting that frame under the little dodge.  Find a good engine and transmission somewhere out of who knows what.  Do have a good 460 ford engine but the transmission is bad.  Would not be the first hybridized vehicle on the place.  That would blow peoples minds to see a little old dodge pulling a big camper.  Could even use Frankentruck to pull a 5th wheel. Would have to shorten the tool box and remount the welder in a different location.  

But then just staying home and flirt with the visiting nurses might be the thing to do.  Have lost 35 lbs since middle of June.  Another 10-15 to go.

Vito

My days of real camping are long past. We bought a 19 foot Vintage Camper that I tow with my Dodge Durango and in fact we are taking a 30 day "camping" trip starting next month. The worst part of this kind of travel, for me, is that I am giving up a good chunk of riding weather for this trip to please my wife. And at 75 I worry about giving up on good riding weather because no one knows what the future holds for any of us, if anything at all. But camping with a trailer that has a/c, a real refrigerator, a small but usable shower and toilet, a real full sized bed and kitchen area is like heaven compared to being in a tent, especially in rainy or very hot weather. The biggest hassles are the slow driving (I normally would be driving at 80 or 85 on the Interstate, but have to slow to about 60 and even then my mpg drops from 24 to about 12 while towing a camper), and occasionally, the challenge of finding a campground with full hook-ups for the night. And in all honesty, the work of hooking and unhooking the camper, and all the step up and take down work of RV camping is getting a bit more onerous as I age. But having a camper accomplishes three main goals: we don't have to eat in restaurants three meals a day, we sleep in our own bed every night, and we can take our small dog along on the trips with us. Good luck on your camping trip. 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I watch those big motor homes pull into campgrounds and detach the car on the back, back the camper into a camp spot, hit the automatic leveling jacks, push the switch for each of the 3-4 slide outs, pull out the sewage hose, connect the water hose, plug in the electricity, lower the awning and pull the curtains around the front and you do not see them again.  We watched a tandem diesel pusher come in and the guy had a cooper mini estate wagon on a front wheel dolly.  He backed the mini off the dolly. backed the dolly into the camp space for extra parking, unhooked it and then backed into the camper space.  I was amazed at how easy it looked like how he parked that dolly until I remembered he had a tv screen to guide him and like some new Ferd trucks the trailer was probably automatically backed.

Our great NAGF friend Galaxyhunter once said, "Those are people who have serious issues with their money."

Getting the camper is the easy part.  Then you have to have a hitch for your vehicle and then find out the trailer is more than the vehicle can tow, so a newer vehicle with poorer fuel mileage, hitch torsion bars, wiring kit, and most people who buy that stuff they need driving lessons.  I think there should be a drivers license endorsement for each trailer or motor home just like motorcycles drivers has to have.  Make them trailer specific down to the make and serial number.  Three quarter or more motor home drivers are not capable of driving those whales safely.

I cringe when I see these newer camping trailers that have the wheels free and clear of the living part making them so tall that I think a good gust would blow them over.  We had tall box trucks and had a couple of them blow over.  In the old days the camper body was down over the wheels that were half way into the camper body.  Then you see those very long and tall 5th wheel campers with a half ton pickup under the front.  But then you see the 1 ton 4 dr. every option trucks with dual wheels and a big diesel engine.  Which came first, the  $70,000 truck or the $70,000 camper.  Of course that is cheap when you figure the price of the $600,000 used motor home.

Ghost Rider 2

Gary as you know I have been around these units for years.  I have worked on everything from a 6 foot pop up to a 45 foot diesel motor coach.  In my opinion a diesel motorhome is just way to expensive for most people to maintain.  Some people get lucky and drive one for a few years and never spend more than an oil change for maintenance..  But when a transmission and conveter goes away BIG $$$$  or a turbo charger takes a crap.  For guys like  you and me, ( and most others on this board) if you want to go with a motorhome.  Late 90's or early to mid 2000's Gas powered your choice Ford or work horse Chevy. My choice would be Chevy they can still be worked on by average mechanic. With Chevy 90's 454 not bad but be easy on those trannys.  Later models with the 8.1 in my opinion are much better way to go,.  If you a Ford guy find a nice one with a V10.  Tow dolly for the car.  Flat tow to much wear and tear on towed vehicle. Lite open trailer for those trips that the Bike still just has to go,. there are deals that come up on motorhomes.  Figure out what you truly have to have space wise.  Best thing to remember the more fancy toys the coach has especially the electronic stuff the more to go wrong.  Basic is best. 

Monkeytrucker

On the Southern IL trader there was a 1972 Winnebago 17' motor home on a Dodge Chassis,  413 cu in, 727 transmission and supposedly only driven 4,000 miles.  I gave serious thought about just going across the state to look at it.  $1,500.  My curiosity was well peaked.  Could not buy it but the hook on the posting was awaiting discovery.

Today I am rebuilding the front 2 jack stands on our Aspen.  One the foot plate came off last year but was not worth the time or I thought about it when we were home.  Earlier this year the spring hook in one jack broke and let the jack fall to the pavement and the plate and a part of the inside square tube got about 1" ground off at just the exact opposite angle the foot was on.  So yesterday I removed both stands, today I cut a new piece to weld in to make the end ground off exactly like it was.  Made a new spring hook and am ready for the foot plates.  Did not want to use up the last little bit of 1.5" flat 3/16" bar I have because I make anchors out of it.  (the steel tariff is making steel like brass which is like gold)  Looked all over my metal scrap piles and found some railroad rail but figured that was over kill.  Decided to go to lunch and shazzam, saw a section of warehouse shelving support that had been crunched and I snagged it from who knows where.  So in a bit i am going to cut about 4" off of it, cut the center web out, hammer a little curl onto the edges and weld it to the tabs on the jacks.  

Also going to look for a worn down piece of oil field sucker rod to replace the 5/8" rod I have now to jack the legs with.  Getting where I cannot just pick up the corner to level it.  Well that and the boss is tending to topple over if she tries to step on the release lever.  She did trip on this last trip, did the studder step backwards, fell thru the tent flap and landed on her *** with only her two feet sticking out of the camper.  Bruised her elbow and her pride.  I wish I had a video of it that I could have played in reverse.  Would have been neat seeing her pop up out of the camper to the picnic table.