Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Riggerman

Thermostat.

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Riggerman

My bike is from Canada but I am now riding in the Georgia area. Do I need a different thermostat then what I use in Canada ?????? I am over heating, the coolant level is good, and the fan is working. Any ideas ?????

pwhoever

Doubtful on different thermostat. But more info is needed to find a solution. What year bike? When is the last time the coolant was changed? When is the last time you cleaned out the radiator fins? Does it happen on level roads or when going up grades? Does it occur at slow speeds or at highway speeds?

Riggerman

Some clarifications. I bought it new in 96. I never really paid attention to the coolant until now. When I am moving (highway) it seems to be descent, as in not in the red zone. But in traffic, it is over heating. Before now, seem the level of the coolant was not an issue. But now I think it does evaporate due to over heating, I check it quite often now. I think I am going to "TRY" to change the thermostat this week. Been told it is a biatch of a job. But so is everything in My boat LOL.

pwhoever

You can change the thermostat if you want which would also accomplish the coolant change at the same time but keeping it simple would be the best way to start. Do a flush using a cleaner safe for aluminum engines then flush with distilled water and then new coolant. Make sure to clean the radiator fins too.

Also, do you get a antifreeze smell when it warms up? More than a few 1500's have developed a crack near the filler neck where the overflow hose attaches that will cause a coolant leak which might explain the coolant loss. Also check around the  top of overflow tank where the overflow hose attaches. And also pressure check the radiator cap. They dont last forever.

The 1500s where also known for leaks at the radiator outlets. When the radiators were fitted at the factory, there was a clear tape that was wrapped around the outlets that were supposed to ease in getting the rubber hoses attached. That tape deteriorates over time and can cause the hoses to no longer fit tightly creating leaks. The tape needs to be removed and outlets cleaned. Then put hoses back on and make sure to tighten clamps.

Also the clamp holding hose onto the thermostat have been known to looses up and need frightening. Not sure if that tape was also put into the outlets of the thermostat but wouldn't hurt to check.

And also if you are insistent on changing the thermostat, when was your timing belt last changed? They should be done every 10 years or 100,000 miles. Since you will be draining out the coolant, this might not be a bad time to do that if time...