Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

1800 front wheel bearings

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I'm going to replace my front wheel bearings, and the kit I bought comes with 4 bearings. Is there really an inner and outer bearing on each side?  The 1200 was pretty straight forward, so does the 1800 just double up, requiring a little more disassembly?  

OnaWingandaPrayer

Looking at the online parts fiche, it shows one bearing on each side . The diagram ( because I cant really call it a photo) could lead you to believe this "radial ball bearing " may be a double row ball bearing. 

OnaWingandaPrayer

So I should have looked at my service DVD set first . It does show 2 bearings per side on the front wheel of an 1800 .  

Questions lead to learning .

pwhoever

Yes, 2 bearings on each side. At least with the All Balls. I was able to get the old bearings out on mine but had a devil of a time getting new ones in. I even put them in the freezer for a couple of hours before trying. I gave in and ended up hauling the rim down to the Honda shop and had them finish it.

Mountain Rider

The All Balls Kit is what I bought.  I have access to a press, so it shouldn't be to painful...…..I hope.   

Trip

Replaced my front wheel bearings with All Balls recently. As everyone has mentioned, there are four bearings for the front. Had my favorite dealer do the work due to the press work involved. Also had my fork bearings replaced (All Balls) and new seals, guides and fork oil for the front forks. Now I can sleep at night. LOL. 

youngnbald

How did you know when to do the bearings?  Noise, feel, oh crap moment?  I check mine when I do the tire install.  I basically verify they turn freely and tight.  Anything I should know more about?

Ghost Rider 2

I replaced a wheel bearing on a GL1100 years ago.  It had a whine in  front wheel.  I have riden 2 1500's well over 100,000 miles and my 2002 has past 120,00 and climbing and have never touched anything since the old GL 1100.  
Mark my inspection is exactly the same as yours.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

I started to hear a whine in the front end that became worse when I threw it into the corners.  I thought it was the tires at first, but I started to feel a bit of play front to rear.

• Like 1