Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
yooperfan

lights

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

yooperfan
(edited)

I don't use my high beams often, but when I do, it seems like I blow a low beam bulb out soon after.  This happens about once a year, and after changing the dead bulb, the other side burns out a couple of weeks later. I'm always careful not to touch the bulbs. Last time it happened, I upgraded to a pair of better, brighter bulbs, both at the same time.  That's part one.  Part two to the saga is a rear bulb in the center trunk is burned out, but I can't get one of the crown nuts off from inside the trunk to change it.  I happened to check the rear one day and noticed all 4 tail lights were on.  Another day, the one bulb was out and another day, it was back on and later off again.  Part three,  I used my high beams a few times recently, so I checked the headlights and both were working.  A few days later, I checked again and one was out, but the tail lights were all on.  Now to the question.  Is there a connection between the headlights burning out and the tail light working or not working?  When the headlights blow out, they are definitely shot, but the tail light seems to be maybe more of a wiring issue, not a blown bulb.  Everything else seems fine with the wing.

Edited by yooperfan

AZgl1800

I solved that one, put the Low Beams on a relay activated by the Oil Pressure switch.

they are Always on, and never turn on until the engine is running.

The high beams?  mine are HID and I usually have them on all the time also.

yooperfan

I'm not sure what you solved by doing that, other than eliminating switching between high and low beams, which I don't do very often.  Some others have said they run the high beams all the time during the day to save the low beams for night time by avoiding burning them out.  The only problem with that logic is that running with high beams in means all 4 lights are on, so the low beams are not being saved.  I'm wondering more if there is a connection between running the extra power for high beams affects the low beams enough to blow a low beam and also why the other low beam is quick to follow, within a couple of weeks maybe.  I also wonder if the voltage change from a blown bulb up front would affect the bulb at the rear.  Could there be a hidden grounding issue and where do I begin to find it?