Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

For you Army guys, and other services.

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Estella and I attended the funeral/Celebration of life, for Army Reserve Captain, Bryan J, Addington held in the Unitarian meeting building in Carbondale, IL.  To say the least, the Army stepped up and made the celebration of Bryan's life and service a very memorial one.  First the Command Chaplin for the Southeast Medical group (sorry if I got the Colonel's title and affiliation wrong)  co-presided the celebration with the Rev. Doctor Cynthia Stewart of Nashville, Tn and is dating Bryan's brother.  Upon the Colonel's command 2 officers came down the aisles and un-folded and re-folded the Flag  and another presented it to the Captain's widow.  Then another Lt. spoke of Bryan's drive to make those he was responsible for to want to step up and strive to be the best they can be.

Bryan's Dress uniform was on a stand made by his father and there was more spaghetti on the left side and his other medals and patches he was allowed to wear on the right side.  We had no idea that there would be that much more than the Bronze Star he earned in Afghanistan.

Needless to say I was in tears the whole time as I have known him for 31 years of his 44 years.  His widow who is undergoing chemo for breast cancer was told not to make much contact with people due to her immune system being compromised.  However I believe she hugged every person in that room in which they had to bring in more chairs and people were standing in the foyer.  The 7 year old boy who saw the sad event was trying to keep up a strong presence, but the 3 year old girl and the 5 year old boy would just say their daddy went to the doctor.  

My friend started to lose it when talking before the Celebration but that will come later.  He calls the grand kids, including one his other son has, the monkey circus.  Three years ago when Sau started working to make money to take her children back to Thailand to see her parents my friend literally threw a shoe because he did not want kids into his tranquil home.  Well the kids trained him well and now they will probably be his sole thought.  Of course that 900 pound gorilla in the room, cancer, might make things much more of a battle. 

Thank you to the US ARMY for taking care of their own.

• Like 3

Mountain Rider

There's more to be done, hopefully they will.  There's a widow and three small children who need every bit of support they can get right now.  I'm hoping they assign a support officer to help put the family in contact with counseling services and any other programs that are available to them.  So sad, RIP Cpt.

Monkeytrucker

The Army has assigned a support officer.  We are hoping that Bryan had taken advantage of the insurance available.  I do know he had to take the kids to get their military dependent ID cards within the last year.  I am hoping that the social security system will be able to provide some help as he was working as a substance abuse counselor at an Impact Incarceration Camp so he had to be paying SS.

One way or another the children will be taken care of even if that 900 lb. gorilla named cancer can not be defeated.

brianinpa

The hardest job I ever did in the Navy was that as a CACO...  Casualty Assistance and Calls Officer.  They are the ones that knock on the door and tell the loved one their service man or woman will not be home, or they present the flag and Presidents respects at a funeral.  That is the part I had to do, and that was tough enough.

A friend of mine was called into duty following the bombing of the USS COLE.  His job changed for the next year, so yes Gary, the Army will be doing more for the widow and the children.