Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

A dark side question

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

As most of you know, I run on the dark side already.  So here's a question for future endeavors, what are the pros and cons between run flats and standard tires?  I currently run a standard tire on the rear, and it handles pretty well, but I do notice it wiggles a little when in a tight corner.  Would a run flat handle a bit better, having a stiffer side wall?  The wife won't let me ever return to a bike tire as she likes the feel of the wider more stable tire, but if I can improve things even more, I will.

Ghost Rider 2

I run a Pirelli P1 run flat.  That was first tire I tried and have stayed with them.   I never noticed a wiggle in a turn.

• Like 1

jobe05

I ran the Yokohama advid envigor run flat and loved it.  When I initially made that choice, it was because of the stiffer sidewall and the ability to not crash and burn if a blow out ever occurs, I can still ride at least another 50 miles with care.  I never noticed any strange feelings at speeds, just that slow uneven surface that we all know about.

I should add, because it's run flat, you may never know it's flat when something does happen.  It is highly suggested that some type of TPMS be installed so you can always monitor the tire pressure.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

That's good info guys, thanks. My standard tire does great, but in the Twisties when I get up on the edge, I feel just a tiny wiggle. It may just be me, but it keeps me looking for it and if I'm looking for it I'm not focused on everything else on the road. We're planning a longer trip in a couple months and the run flat may be worth looking at before we leave. Worst case, I pick up a spare wheel and I have a spare ready at a moment's notice. 

Parman

I'm running a Yokohama Advid Invigor runflat and love it. I've pulled my camper coast to coast and never had an issue. I've also run the curves in the Smokies and tire handles them fine. I did prematurely wear my first one out by running it with to much are. I've found that tire pressure between 28-32 psi is the sweet spot for this tire.

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

Don't know about the other brands but you can buy the Pirelli in a V or W rated higher speed tire.

OnaWingandaPrayer

I have never used a "standard tire" Iand so I am not sure of this wiggle you mention. I began using the Dunlop Wintersport ROF on my 1500. The 1800 came with a Michelin run flat and now I have another Dunlop Wintersport ROF.  Cost and wear were considerations in going darkside. Run flat I consider to be an extra measure of safety for MrsOna riding with me.

Have adjusted tire pressures? perhaps a different pressure would make you more comfortable. With my run flat I find cold tire pressure of 38psi agrees to my liking. Here in the FL heat it may climb 6-8 PSI while riding. I use a DORAN TPMS .

Dusty Boots

I had used the Federal Formoza 175/60-16 on my 1500 and experienced the same vague handling coming out of corners, even when aired up to 48 PSI and would never go back to that, or any 60 series car tire again as the sidewalls are too flexible for anything but straight line riding.

I am now on my 2nd Yokohama Avid ENVigor ZPS 105/55RF-16 run flat and all those symptoms vanished 

Mountain Rider

So I guess the question now is, having looked at the Pirelli and the Yokohama, what size do I run?  I'm running a 195/75-16 now, but don't see anything in that size available with these two. I'd like to stick with something that keeps the speedo fairly close to accurate. 

jobe05

My Yoko was a 195/55

Ghost Rider 2

On a 1800   195 55 16

Mountain Rider

Well, I'm feeling special!  Checked my tire and don't know what I was thinking, it's a 195/55-16, not 195/75-16.  :puzzled-smiley-emoticon:  So, Jerry, are you saying the Pirelli has a somewhat rounder profile?  I'd try anything of quality, but something with a rounder shoulder just seems to make more sense.  

jobe05

Don't think about the shoulder, you will not feel any difference

Mountain Rider

Yeah, probably overthinking it a bit. I'm going to shop around and see if I can get a run flat coming. Our trip the end of August will be the longest Les has ever spent on a bike, and everything I can do to make her more comfortable is a plus. She knows when I fuss over her and worry about little things, so not having a flat on the road helps. She also noticed when I took some corners a bit differently and ask about it. I told her it was nothing, but again I look for that little wiggle and she knows. 

Thanks again. 

jobe05

If you want to make her more comfortable, change the rear spring to a progressive spring.  Not a hard job if you have a spring compressor.  I did my 2001 when I had it.  I thought it rode nice till I changed that spring, Made a huge difference!!!!  I could hit bumps and ridges i the road, like bridges and stuff when there is a sudden jaring different elevation in the road, with the new spring I couldn't even feel them anymore.  Best improvement you could make.

Monkeytrucker

Do not change the spring.  When you hit the bumps it will make her feel better by thumping you on the helmet.  Give them something small like that to thump you and when you do something to aggravate her and you are not wearing your helmet she will be too worn out to thump you.

very funny lol GIF

• Haha 1

Dusty Boots

Yok 195/55RF-16 on my 1500   ....

1153571845_OWMO8671-1.thumb.jpg.6401b50e78d463fd79153e5b6a529c37.jpg

and on my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour   .....

176535558_IMG_2166-1.thumb.jpg.10d48e12f7aab44c497d14d119392c7f.jpg

Dusty

Mountain Rider

I like it!

Ghost Rider 2

Yes the Pirelli is little rounder coming off tread.  My adjustment was pretty quick.  Slow speed parking lot seemed the worst.

Mountain Rider

I like the look of the tread on the Yokohama, but the tread on the Pirelli , not being uniform looks a little different.  How's that feel on the road?

Ghost Rider 2

Turns a Cadillac into a Maserati.  Tire is marked inner and outer.  Mount with outer to the left or kick stand side.  Seems like most area tire stores don't carry them.  I normally order from Tire Rack. I ordered one 2 weeks ago over my lunch break, it was on my doorstep the next afternoon.

• Like 1

Parman

I always get mine form Tire Rack. Usually one to two days its on my door step as well.

Ghost Rider 2

Bottom line Tire Rack is place to buy.  Pirelli P1 run flat is tire to start with.  The rest is up to you.  Also P1 is in W V and H series.  I prefer the V.

Mountain Rider

OK, Jerry

I did the deed.  Got on Tire Rack and ordered the Pirelli P1, 195/55-16 run flat.  It should be here Wednesday, I'll use the shop tire machine to mount it Thursday, and on Sunday we'll give her try through the twisties  at Palisades.  I've got a line on a spare wheel, so I'll take the Hankook and mount that as a complete spare.  

Mountain Rider

Got the P1 mounted tonight.  Jerry, I will never doubt you, the P1 is amazing.  I didn't put beads in this one, I used the Ride-on liquid.  Not really needed for its sealing properties, but I like the way it balances.  Tomorrow night I'll redo the front, removing the beads and installing Ride-on in it as well.  I love this tire, it corners like it was on rails, maneuvers across the lane like a Sport bike, and there is absolutely no wiggle when cornering under power.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,