Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

Plans are in the works for a trip to Washington

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Since my family is in the Yakima area and I haven't been able to get home in two years, we've decided to visit and make this our first long trip on Black Beauty.  We've started putting together luggage for the saddle bags and trunk, got cup holders installed, and are doing other due diligence to get ready.  The plan right now, is to roll out of Rigby on August 31st, heading North through Challis and Salmon, then over Lolo heading West, spending the night in Orofino, Idaho.  My younger brother and his wife will be there also, doing a ride with friends, so we can meet up for the evening.  The next day they continue on their ride, and we continue on to Yakima.  Sunday or Monday, we plan on taking a ride to Packwood, Washington, for their annual flea market and possibly a meet up with John (Jluvs2dive), and anybody else in the area who wants to show up.  My brother returns home on Monday, so Tuesday and or Wednesday, we'll be riding with both my brothers with a brief stop at the cemetery where my father is located.  The rest of our time will be spent with my Mother, celebrating her 86th birthday, and barbequing.  :thumbs-up:  Friday we head home, debating whether we want to use the same route or take I-90 through Spokane and Missoula with a layover somewhere in the middle, then I-15 South to our exit.   Sunday we rest!!

Edited by Mountain Rider
I made a booboo

Mountain Rider

We've got the bags for the trunk coming, hopefully we can prepack them so everything is ready early. I've been thinking about mounting the little video camera to capture some of the trip. The Vivitar is ok, but we're thinking about upgrading to a GoPro Hero 4. I found a good deal on a refurbished one with the accessory pack. Got the reservations made for Orofino. I've really got to get the maps out and fine tune our route, don't need any wrong turns. 

terryj

Enjoy the trip, Teresa and I were in your part of the world last week, we were delivering a 79 Blazer to her brother who lives in Billings, MT. We trailered the bike behind the Blazer and then rode the bike back to Medford, Oregon. Lolo Pass is beautiful, we stayed the night at Lolo Hot Springs on our return trip. All in al the trip was very nice, it was the first time Teresa and I have had the chance for a long ride. Raising the grandkids have really put a halt to our bike riding, so we take it as we can. 

Be safe out there.

Terry

Mountain Rider

Glad your return trip went well. We're planning on going over Lolo on the way out. Was there much construction up there?

oldmopars

Sounds like a Great trip you have planned. I live in Selah, just outside of Yakima. Let me know if you ride over to Packwood Sunday, I might be up for a ride and love to meet new people.

Mountain Rider
(edited)

That's awesome!!!  I'm actually from Selah. My younger brother is the Fire Chief. 

As for Packwood, we haven't been up there in years, so Leslie is all ansy to go. I'll let you know. We should roll into town Saturday afternoon, September 1st.  Look forward to meeting you. 

Edited by Mountain Rider

terryj

There was a little construction going on, not bad at all. 

Mountain Rider

Awesome, thanks Terry. :thumbs-up:

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, today is the last day before we ride, and seeing as we plan on doing almost 2000 miles in the next 10 days, we thought it would be fun to document our trip. So, as the day and our first long trip progresses, I'll post up some pics from my neck of the woods, hopefully for you entertainment. 

jluvs2dive and oldmopars, we should be in Selah on Saturday, and the current plan is to head to Packwood Sunday morning (exact timing to be fine tuned once we get into town). Hope to see you guys. 

Edited by Mountain Rider

Mountain Rider

That's cool, but saddly I don't have one, at least for this trip. 

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, Black Beauty is clean and shiny and the bags are just about packed. Leslie has a few things left to pack once she gets home from work. The fuel tank is full and the trip meter is set. Who knew you could pack so much on a motorcycle. :SmileyTooth:

20180830_183837.jpg

20180830_183732.jpg

Edited by Mountain Rider
  • Like 1

Monkeytrucker
1 hour ago, AZgl1800 said:

do you have a SPOT tracker?

they are very useful for see where you have been.

Here is my link, which I tested 2 days ago to be sure it is working

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0gqTg56QDrd6CDbZa9PvVAoyo4CbCZmdR

John, this is easier, just ask the NSA where you have been!   As I am typing we just had a couple of heavy Army helicopters pass over.  They make things vibrate.

oldmopars

So do you know what time you will be leaving on Sunday? I have church in the morning, I get out around 10:30. Any chance you will be leaving after that?

Mountain Rider

Would 11 work for you?  We thought about 9, but Leslie doesn't want to rush. We could meet at Savon around 11 and head to Packwood from there. That should put us there around 12:30ish. Let me know. 

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, we're in Selah tonight. It's been an interesting couple days. We hit the road around 6:30 Friday morning. Stopped in Salmon for gas and breakfast. If you're ever there, the Coffee Shop is excellent. Good food, plenty of it, and fair prices.  Fuel prices are high right now, $3.84 for premium. About 2 1/2 hours later we arrived in Lolo, and topped of the gas tank before the push to Orofino. Going over Lolo pass, we found quite a bit of road work with the worst section being a number of miles where the pavement was stripped so we rode on the cheese grater for a while. We finally arrived in Orofino about 5:30, so a long day. The end of the day was awesome!  We met both my brothers and the group they rode to Orofino with. The steak dinner at the Konkelville hotel, cook it yourself, is amazing. $16.95 for a huge New York steak, a large baked potato, and a salad. The comradery was great, with no end to the jokes and stories, so we went to bed tired, full, and with a smile on our faces. 

20180831_071342.jpg

20180831_105755.jpg

20180831_164507.jpg

20180901_093739.jpg

Edited by Mountain Rider

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Today, we hit the road about 9:30 with my baby brother and his wife in tow.  The gang came out to see us off, but before we left, Leslie gave  us one last laugh.  Where we parked , the parking lot dropped away and was covered with shrubbery.  She went to open the trunk, misstepped, and toppled over backward into the shrubs.  When my brother and I rushed to her aid, we found her, head down hill, on her back, laughing her  butt off.  With the help of another guest, we got her recovered, none the worse for wear.  We topped off the fuel tanks in Orofino and headed down Hwy 12.  We had lunch at a Micro brewery in Waitsburg, Washington, and one last rest stop in Prosser for Starbucks, before finishing our trip into Selah. 

Two long days, but fun and memorable. Tomorrow we're heading to Packwood for the whole town flea market. 

20180901_093552.jpg

20180901_093630.jpg

20180831_164502.jpg

1077.jpeg

Edited by Mountain Rider

AZgl1800

looks like you are having a good time, upsdie down and all. :) 

Fuel prices are high right now, $3.84 for premium.

just curious, if you are riding the 1800 Goldwing, why buy Premium fuel?

87 Octane is all it needs, and in high elevations, 85 is all it needs...

I paid that $3.84 today myself for 91 non-ethanol fuel for my Suburban, which drank up 27 gallons of that "low priced" fuel.

I am pulling a heavy Toy Hauler and E-10 just does not give enough power to the ground, for the transmission to ever get out of 1st gear

Mountain Rider

We ran the premium because that's all that's available in ethanol free up here. While we're home we have a few more options. I can't complain though, we're averaging about 44 mpg, and Black Beauty showed to be pretty peppy around all the Harley guys. :SmileyTooth:

Hopefully we'll be meeting up with oldmopars this morning for the ride up to Packwood. I also plan on a lot more pictures since this area is so beautiful and I'm not on a schedule. 

oldmopars

I am really sorry, I am not going to make it. I had something come up and not able to ride today. Please have a great ride and maybe we can meet up another time. 

Mountain Rider

We'll keep you on tap. Worst case, let me know and we can meet up while we're in town for coffee or a beer. Have a good day. 

oldmopars

That would be great

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Well, yesterday we took the ride up to Packwood, Washington, not far, only about 150 miles round-trip. Traveling from Yakima, North on Hwy 12 over White Pass, the scenery is amazing. For those of you who like the Twisties, this is your ride. We saw a ton of rafters on the river traveling toward Rim Rock Lake. This time of year they dump extra water from the reservoir so the white water outfitters can give their clients a great experience. When you reach the top of the hill approaching the dam, you pass through a tunnel in the rock, coming out to see Rim Rock Lake. From there, it's miles of twist and turns past lodges, camp grounds, and ski areas. Arriving at Packwood, you see bumper to bumper traffic going both ways, and a sea of people on both sides of the road, not to mention the vendors booths from one end of town to the other. The locals even throw in their yard and garage sales for good measure. We wandered from booth to booth until about 5:30 when we figured we better head home. You don't just get deer crossing the road here, elk tend to cross as well, and it hurts when you smack one of those. Back in Yakima, we stopped at Denny's for dinner, then back to the house. It was an awesome day!

20180902_123216.jpg

20180902_123458.jpg

20180902_131057.jpg

20180902_153655.jpg

20180902_164135.jpg

Edited by Mountain Rider

Monkeytrucker

You my friend make us envious.  It is a long drive to see a tunnel or even one of those highways they bury under fake cover.  The rapids are just in the big ditch that cuts our place diagonally.  When it rains hard it drains about 200 acres so it flat boils.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Gary, glad you enjoyed it. How are you doing?  Feeling better I hope. We've got another 6 days till we're home, so I hope we don't give you envy overload. I don't know if it's allowed, but I've got some video of sections of our ride I'd like to post at some point. We'll see.  Have a great day everyone. :SmileyTooth:

• Like 1