Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
roscoepc

Home Central AC Info..

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

roscoepc

Saturday before dark, (Luckily!!), my wife noticed the AC wasn't coming on. I checked and sure enough the thermostat was not showing on the digital readout.. I got my meter and started looking for breakers which were not tripped.. Next I pulled the breaker panel off and checked for voltage on both sides of the breaker.. Good there. Next was taking off the electrical access panel on the unit it's self. Nothing there except for a bit of garbage and a dead corn snake!! The relay checked good with proper voltage going to the correct places..

So.. Back inside for a closer look at the thermostat to check for voltage there. After removing it from the wall I noticed there was 2 AAA batteries in it.. I thought 'Hmm.. For backup?'.. I said naw, it Can't be this easy?? I scrounged up 2 batteries, popped then in there, reinstalled the thermostat and Bingo!!! We have a functional AC again!!

The reason I'm posting this?? I've NEVER seen a thermostat for a central AC unit that ran TOTALLY off batteries and maybe this will help someone else on a weekend when the repairman's not really available!!!

Live and Learn!!

AZgl1800

OH I have two of those things!!!

one is in the RV Toy Hauler trailer.

why on gawd's earth would anyone install a battery operated thermostat???

( because that makes them backwards compatible with the old fashioned coil spring thermostats )

the one in my house has the option of battery, or line voltage, it runs on 12 VDC....

I ran line a/c to that thing.

Halfling

I believe battery operated units are pretty common although the new ones with wifi access etc all have to be powered with a 12 VDC line voltage. Now the trick is to figure out how to add that 12 VDC to your unit so that you can install one of the new thermostats! You have a couple of choices, one you can run a line all the way in from the outside unit (not likely for me!) or you can install a 12 VDC transformer somewhere and get a line to it that way (most likely for me). I've had one of those new thermostats ready to install for several months now (got a good price on one) and I need to get the 12 VDC to it before I can change it over.

Monkeytrucker

Simply because of places like us here.  We have power outages so often that if there were not battery back ups we would be having to reset every time the power dropped out.  

That said, our thermostat got zapped by a power spike when 2 power lines collided in a storm, or a dog peed on them, and our thermostat got zapped.  So we bought one that we can program (Honeywell piece of crap) by wifi. Yes it can be programmed by wifi but every time the power goes out and back on it messes with the programming causing us to have to reset it because it has no backup batteries.  We use 2 temperatures in our home.  77 during the day in summer with it set at 68 at night.  During the winter is is 74 during the day and 68 at night.  The thermostat does not like only times so we have wake up, go to work, return home from work and night time settings to deal with.  Finally had to call Ramodspcuudkulouces on their hotline and he determined we could only program it manually.  So much for being able to set the temp from anyplace in the world.  

AZgl1800

I have a cellphone app to check on, or reset my Thermostat.

IMO, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We set the stat to 80* going on vacation ( house plants ) and were gone for 13 days, heading home, I used the cellphone to set the 'stat back to 70* so the house would be cool for us when we got home.

was very nice, as it had been very humid and hot while we were gone.... raising the 'stat saved me some bux$$ for almost two weeks.  And, it lets us come home to nice cool home .....

the cool down is about 12 hours if the whole house is hot..... way too much thermal mass in a home that is not kept cool.

youngnbald

The voltage is ac, not dc for these units.  I have the wifi thermostat in my house, but the previous thermostat was wired 4 wires.  I don't recall the color codes off hand, but search google and you will find it easy.  Since the wifi thermostat is best if used with 24vac source voltage.  Some flat out state they do not work on battery only!  If you only have 4 wires, not the recommended 5 wire, you can cheat.  Take the (green, I think) fan wire and use it in place of the C-Common (which is to be Blue or Black).  At the furnace end, move the green to the location for the blue/black C-Common.  I never use the fan switch, so this option was the best, easiest and most clean setup.  You don't want a transformer wiring to the thermostat, would look like crap!

All this pulls up easy on google by searching "thermostat color codes 5 wire"

I had to check my colors codes to help type proper help here.

Monkeytrucker

I have no idea why but our home thermostat wiring has more wires (8) than needed.  The cable is not a telephone cable with twisted pairs in it or even the color coding that phone wires would use.  

AZgl1800

My a/c stat was 4 wire, and I tried to cheat and the WiFi stat to work, nothing doing, it refused to work.

So, I drilled a hole thru the wall behind the a/c wall socket below it, ran some jacketed a/c wires to the socket, and to a door bell transformer, than that to the stat.   all good now.

when the house sells, someone will ask why that wire is hooked to a transformer and just laying on the shelf in the closet??

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,