Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Veterans Affairs is amazing.

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Went to the Veterans Affairs office again today after they called and said they had some information we were looking for.  Have been looking for information on my Dad, his Dad and his brothers.  I had Grand Dads Medical papers from 1945.  Had my Dad's younger brother's papers from being in the V-12 program starting in 1945 to orders authorizing his last flight in an A5 and was told those were way more than the Navy Reserve would have. He was a Commander in the USNR at Alameda NAS at San Francisco. 

On Dad's older brother they were able to get his separation papers but they were almost unreadable due to how they had been copied and we could read some of the Hull Numbers he served on. Same with my Dad.  However both of them after being immobilized at the end of the war continued to serve even though they had been discharged from the regular service. 

Uncle Walter was an officer in the Navy for years and Dad was a 1st Sgt in the Illinois national guard.  Dad's WWII discharge papers in 45 had him listed as 1st. Sgt. so that confirmed what we thought.  Dad kept his service records and medals in the pacific as part of the Americal  division and their Action at Guadalcanal in a shoe box and my mother put them in a shadow box but it got raided by my sisters kids or she hid medals some where.  I do know when he left the states in 42 he was a private.  When he was brought back in late summer 43 to train recruits dragged out of the hills he was a 1st Sgt.  The Veteran Affairs guy commented on his fast rise in rank but considering where the Americal Division was at he could understand it.  We also know there was a Purple Heart in the medals as he was given a small disability for service related injuries.

Due to the fire at the Paige Avenue Records Depository all of Walters and Dad's records other than their discharge papers, that were probable filed somewhere else, from the regular service were destroyed.  Do not know where they found it but they found on original copy of Grand Dad's death record and Grandma's filing for survival benefits.  That is the earth shaking thing for me.  It is being accepted by the US Government (we were told) so we can get Granddad his Bronze marker for his grave 72 years after his death.  We just have to get a memorial company to fill out the few lines and we send it in.  The memorial will have to be sent to them, they will mount and set it.  We do not know how much that will cost us but the State of IL is supposed to reimburse $100. 

He was in the invasion at Normandy and had his heart attack while running for a slit trench during a bombardment in August or September and got shipped home.  His copies of his medical discharge proceedings show he had to travel to San Antonio for an exam and then later to the state of Washington to appear in front of a board of officers.  The papers have a transcript of his answers to their questions and was informed they accepted his medical discharge.

We found that he was in the service in 1927 but it is thought that due to supposedly being discharged and then doing the re-enlistment oath at the same time he might have been in the service earlier than the record they found.  He was born in 1892 which would have put him in the prime time for WWI duty.  He was listed in the IL National Guard yearbook as a Lt. and was medically discharged as a Lt. Col in 45.  How many years would those jumps have taken today.  

The Veteran Affairs guy was happy to help us get the memorial rolling for Lt. Col, Herman F. Auerswald.  I think it might be about time.

Pardon for my rambling and maybe disjointed writing.  The Rat Poison they are giving me is having cognitive problems with forming thoughts and verbal abilities.  The search for records is one full of surprises.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Gary, that's amazing, good for you and your family.  Don't give up now, if you can find anything that verifies their awards, there is a company, I believe in North Carolina, that will put together a set of their medals and mount them in the correct order of precedence for you.  The VA may do that as well.

Monkeytrucker

That would be great.  in a box in the basement of my grandmothers home we found a shoe box that had a couple of oak leaf and Lt. Col. collar pins. I have my dad's Americal division shoulder patch with the southern cross on it. That was the one thing he was proud of and would show it to me.  We also have his sharp shooter medal with a whole chain of qualifications from pistol to automatic weapons.

Getting their awards and having all four in a wall display box would be fantastic.  Even more fantastic would to even know about my ancestors in the Prussian army.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,