Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
bikemanbrad

1985 Starter

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

bikemanbrad

I have read many posts on various sites about replacing my starter on my 85 GL1200 Limited.

On my 1100, it was so easy.

On the 85, someone said he wiggled the starter out without removing anything but the shift lever, no exhaust or crash bar.

He said it just took a lot of patience.

Tried for hours last night but it is blocked by the crash bar from backing out enough. The crash bar though scares me because it has a large bolt going through the engine.

Some guys say to only lower the exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated ?

Thanks.

roscoepc

Welcome to the Site Brad!! The best I remember I took the crash bars off my Ltd Ed several years ago when I went through a major clean up on the bike and it wasn't really a big deal to remove and replace them.. I've removed one starter from a 1200 but it's been so long I don't really remember much but I do remember it was kind of a pain.. Take yer time and you'll get it!!

Good Luck!!

BTW,, We REALLY like pictures around here!!! ;):59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

bikemanbrad

Yes but the crash bar has a long bolt through the engine ?

roscoepc

I'll take a look at mine tomorrow..

scraper

Why let the engine bolt give you pause. Just take the but off and push it in a little. No need to take it out. And you could put a Jack under it if you think it will help.

bikemanbrad

But the left side where the bolt is has just the head of the bolt and the right side has the nut.

When I turn the left side ( where the starter is) , the bolt starts to come out .

Right side is just as you say,  the nut would come off.

?

Thanks, Brad

Steed

I can't recall if there were 3 or 4 engine mount bolts on the 1200.  You can easily remove and replace one bolt at a time without the motor shifting, so long as they are all properly torqued when you start.  Most folks drop the left side exhaust and use the side stand so as not to lose the starter drive chain/sprocket while wiggling the starter free from the motor.

I've watched it being done.  Never actually did it while the motor was in the frame...

bikemanbrad

Yes, I had no problem last night with the gear but seems the crash bar bracket under the valve cover was stopping it from me getting it out...you saw just the exhaust dropped without removing the crash bar ?

wlkjr

When I took mine out a couple of years ago I wasn't aware of the possibility of the sprocket dropping down. Fortunately I didn't have that happen. I did however have to drop the exhaust system to get it out. Probably a search on youtube might help with a solution.

bikemanbrad

Did you remove the crash bar or just lower the exhaust and was that hard to do ?

Thanks.

wlkjr
9 hours ago, bikemanbrad said:

Did you remove the crash bar or just lower the exhaust and was that hard to do ?

Thanks.

I did remove the crash bar and totally dropped the exhaust. It was one of those deals where the starter almost came out but needed just a hair more room that I couldn't seem to manipulate around.

• Like 1

bikemanbrad

O.K. but the right side crash bar has a nut that would come off the long bolt going through the engine but this side has the head of the bolt so it would have to come out.

So many different opinions, just frustrated with it , hate trusting someone doing it but I guess I'll have to give up.

Thanks though.

wlkjr
3 hours ago, bikemanbrad said:

O.K. but the right side crash bar has a nut that would come off the long bolt going through the engine but this side has the head of the bolt so it would have to come out.

So many different opinions, just frustrated with it , hate trusting someone doing it but I guess I'll have to give up.

Thanks though.

It's been two years ago and my memory is not what it used to be. Seems like I remember having trouble getting one of those bolts out but eventually did. I was just 65 at the time so it was probably much easier than it would be today.😁

Jluvs2dive

Thanks though.

I don't know if you have taken this to someone else yet but this is not a big deal to pull that front engine mount bolt.  There are 5 other other engine mounts besides that one, the two on the upper sides, two on the lower side, and one on the top of the front.  If you're really concerned about it shifting simply put a jack under it and put it firm against the bottom front of the engine case.  It's highly unlikely to move though.  Even if it did it's no big deal to re position the engine.  I've had the engine in and out of 1200's many times.  Getting them positioned when going back in can be a little bit of a pain but they aren't even that heavy so it's pretty easy to wiggle them around on a jack.

• Like 1

bikemanbrad

So being familiar with it all, can you please tell me what you, yourself do to replace the starter in the 1200.

No two people seem to say the same thing....remove nothing, remove the crash bar, lower exhaust, don't, etc.....

Thank You VeryMuch

Jluvs2dive

Removing the exhaust makes it easier to get the starter in and out but as I recall it's not completely necessary.  You may need to remove the shift lever though, which is also not difficult.  

bikemanbrad

I did remove the shift lever but the starter has the crash bar bracket keeping it from coming out.

No one agrees on exactly what needs to be done.

Sorry but very frustrated with it.

Thanks Anyway.

Jluvs2dive

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause more confusion.  I thought you understood that the crash bar does have to come off.  Come to think of it, one of the versions of the crash bar as I remember requires the exhaust to come off.  Sorry it's been probably 5 years.  I have not worked on a limited but I would guess they are like the Aspencades which had the crash bar style that.  I think some of the confusion with people telling you what needs to come off is that there were multiple versions of the 1200 which come apart a bit differently.  The interstates were less complex and came apart easier than the Aspencades and I'm sure the Limited as well.  None of it is overly complex, just a little time consuming.  If you pull the exhaust, do it in one piece.  If you pull the mufflers you will probably need replacement gaskets where they connect to the headers and that's a pain.  You can usually get away with reusing the header gaskets/donuts though.

brianinpa
(edited)

The last time I did it... last summer, I took the shift lever, floor board, engine guard, and exhaust off to put the start back in.  Somehow, I got it off by just removing the shift lever and a stud for the exhaust header.  The term: p!$$ poor design comes to mind!

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

bikemanbrad

So you did remove the crash bar or the exhaust stud ?

The shift lever I know but you mention 2 different ways you did it ?

Thanks, Brad

bikemanbrad

Yeah, that's the Engineers

brianinpa

To remove it, I had the shift lever and the stud out, everything else was still installed, but I could not get it back in like that.

bikemanbrad

I'm confused.

When I tried to remove the starter and couldn't....after all the wiggling it around, I put it back.

It always started slow when hot.

Now we just had 90-95 degrees for over a week and it starts pretty good no matter how much I ride in the heat.

I have an appointment at a very good dealer ( the only one I trust) to put the new one in . Any idea why it seems better now ??

All mixed up...maybe best to change it anyway ?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,