Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
dwsonar

Idle acting up

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

dwsonar

About 2000 miles into a 2600 mile trip, the idle started acting up. First it slowed to about 600. Later it was 1000 and surging slightly. Runs fine on throttle.

Trash in Jet? Vacuum leak? 

dwsonar

Also, sometimes when I stop, it idles properly when restarted, but not always

Dusty Boots

Quite often turning the knurled idle set knob a few turns in either direction will solve this issue.

25884536766_567659990e_b.jpg

• Like 1

Parman

Beat me to it Dusty.

That was always the issue with my 1500. I'd get those surges,  low or high idle. Once I twisted the idle knob back and forth a few times it would clear it up.

Galaxyhunter
49 minutes ago, Parman said:

Beat me to it Dusty.

That was always the issue with my 1500. I'd get those surges,  low or high idle. Once I twisted the idle knob back and forth a few times it would clear it up.

Same Here

dwsonar

When I bought the bike, it surged 3-600 rpm's. fixed that with SeaFoam and idling til it was warmed up. cooled down, did it again, over and over.

This is about 100 rpm surge.

I increased and decreased idle as needed this time to keep it running, but probably not enough to fix anything.

dwsonar

Finally home and going to look into the idle issue(been offshore for a month). By the time I got home from my trip, the idle was really getting bad. Not quite dying, but close. Ran fine on throttle though.

My question now is, when running on throttle, does any fuel pass through the idle jets? 

Monkeytrucker

Put the recommend amount of Sea Foam for the amount of fuel you have in the tank and ride it.  Sea Foam will clean out any crap in you fuel system. 

It also works in the crankcase.  At a place I worked they had a 1 ton box truck that they were told by their major work repair shop that the 427 Chevy engine was going to have to be replaced.  The cost was more than the truck so it was used for local stuff running on 6 of the 8 cylinders.  I was going to buy it and put the   427 into my truck.  I had to drive it 30 miles to deliver some stuff so I put a can of Sea Foam in the engine.  All problems went away and so did my getting a 427  

AZgl1800

bought a '94SE which surged from 600 to 3000

Sea Foam and twisting that Idle Screw by the gas tank fix it....

took a while, but it did the job.

yooperfan

Maybe syncing the carbs will help or checking the screws for doing that task.  I remember when Mike was going to sync the carbs on his old 1500, he found a loose screw where the tool would screw into.  After tightening that screw, the wing ran better with no need to sync the carbs.

dwsonar

Still doing it. When first started, runs fine. Get off choke, still running good. After it warms up some more, idle drops about 1-200 and it kind of sounds like a cylinder isn't firing.Give it throttle and it's all good.

I keep idling it with SeaFoam in the tank when I get some time, but hasn't helped yet.

dwsonar

I'll have some time to play with it today, hope I have some energy. Gonna try spraying starting fluid to see if I have a vacuum leak.

Monkeytrucker
8 hours ago, dwsonar said:

I'll have some time to play with it today, hope I have some energy. Gonna try spraying starting fluid to see if I have a vacuum leak.

I use choke cleaner to do the same thing.  It is not as volatile as ether.   Less chance of bending a rod or breaking piston lands.

dwsonar

Had it idling great this morning. Let it run, all was normal. Went for a ride, after I got off the interstate, idle was acting up again. Still does fine on throttle.

dwsonar

I may have found the problem. Vacuum line on left side, with the 180 degree bend. The bend was collapsing under vacuum, slowing the idle. The slower idle caused less vacuum, opening the hose and speeding up the idle. Over and over, making it surge up and down.

At least I think that's what was happening. 30 minute ride, it did fine. As a temporary fix, I cut the bend off and used copper tubing and new vacuum line, along with a couple hose clamps.

Keep your fingers crossed

Mountain Rider

Fingers crossed!  🤞

dwsonar

Nope. 10 minutes into a ride this morning, started idling bad again. Guess it can't be avoided, have to pull the carbs