Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
pbollox

Turn signal/hazard lights

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

pbollox

Hi to everyone:

I have just purchased a 2001 Goldwing GL1800 ABS with just over 3000 miles on it.

I picked it up yesterday in Northern California and rode it home to Southern California, what an awesome bike!

One issue, when I put on the turn signals both sides come on?

When I put on the hazard lights they come on as long as I keep the button pressed in but stop when I take my finger off?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Mountain Rider

First, welcome aboard. Second, I'm having the same issue with my emergency flashers. I have yet to dig into it, but these bikes tend to have sticky switches as they age. CRC electrical cleaner can be sprayed in there to help clean things up, and seems to do a good job. A good spray in around the turn signal switch may correct that problem as well. AZgl1800 uses CRC 25 electrical cleaner and lube, I believe, and swears by it. It's also plastic safe. Congrats on the 1800 and good luck. 

pbollox

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the welcome and suggestions, will try and see what happens.

Love the bike, probably the nicest that I have ever ridden.

Regards,

Paul

Bluthundr31

+1 on the use of CRC electrical contact cleaner for the "sticky/stuck" hazard and turn signals.  My old "91 had its first sticky  turn/hazard buttons and a quick shot of cleaner fixed 'er up with no problems.  I picked up a can of the "Specialty" WD40 Electonic connection cleaner too.  It might do the trick too, , , just haven't tried it yet.

Mountain Rider

Paul just contacted me and says he got the turn signal switch cleaned up but it still turns on both sides when he uses it.  Any ideas guys?

Bluthundr31

Yes, , , On my '91 Interstate, the HAZARD button was stuck in such a way that even though the hazards weren't on, ,the switch made BOTH turn signals operate when I tried to use the turn signal button.  Have him make sure that the HAZARD button works properly FIRST, , , then see if that resolves the turn signal problem.

pbollox

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

I did as Dennis mentioned and took the hazard switch apart, cleaned everything but they won't stay on unless the botton is pressed.

However, having done this my turn signals now work perfectly......good call Dennis.

Thanks again to everyone,

Paul

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Hey, Paul

Glad you at least got the turn signals worked out. You're not alone with the emergency flashers, I'm fighting my switch as well. I may just have to replace the unit. :sad-face:

pbollox

Hi Dave,

Honestly not that worried about the hazards but the turn signals are important to me.

I will let you know if I do get them figured out.

Regards,

Paul