Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
brianinpa

Safety Chains... Why Bother?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

brianinpa

On my trip home from Willville yesterday I was on I-81 North of Harrisonburg, VA.   I stayed on the BRP for all of the morning and then it started to rain, so I  gave up on my plans to ride the Skyline Drive...

Anyway, I was riding along doing about 80mph when the bike lurched and I heard this horrendous grinding noise.  Then I felt a huge thump as something ran into me... oh, $%*#, my trailer came un-hitched!  Or so I thought...  I guess God has other plans for me still because I was able to just get off the throttle and cost the bike to a stop on the shoulder... it sounds benign but there were a few tense moments as the trailer slammed into the rear of the bike a few times as I was bringing everything to a stop.

It turns out the bolt that threads into the ball vibrated loose.  The ball was still locked in the tongue of the trailer, but the bolt is gone.  So what to do...  I tighened the chains up in a way that kept the trailer tight on the hitch ball mount and limped two miles down the road to the next exit, unhooked the trailer, found the nearest Wally World and bought a new ball.  And just like thst, I was up and running again.

So, if you ever think safety chains on a motorcycle trailer aren't necessary... you'd be wrong.  I lost about a 1/2 inch of metal from my jack stand, but the chains kept the trailer right behind me rather than on top of me.  I'm glad it happened on a straight road, and not one with twists and turns like the Skyline Drive... 

20180603_204134.jpg

• Like 1
  • Surprise 4

jobe05

Holy Crap!!!!  That could have turned out very bad, Sure glad it didn't and you were able to fix the problem.  Another annual area to inspect before long trips I guess.  O have a spare ball on my shelf in the garage, but Im now thinking it may get relocated to the trailer whereas I would have it if and when needed.

So glad you made the trip Brian, it was great seeing you again, I hope you can make it for future M&G's.

• Like 2

brianinpa

A few miles before this, one of the chains fell off and was dangling since I gave Ken my rubber chain keepers.  I'm thankful both the chains were hooked when this happened.

• Sad 1

roscoepc

I've got a 3' crescent wrench that I use specifically for trailer balls! That way yer balls won't loosen up at all!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

WADAMINUTE..... That didn't come out quite right eh??!!!! :roflmao:

• Haha 1

brianinpa

I actually found a garage that was open at 4:00 on a Sunday that left me use an impact gun, socket and air hose.  5 minutes and I was out of the guys hair.

Monkeytrucker

We hooked up our trailer at Carlyle lake last year.  That is 3/4 of the way across IL.  When hitching I always go thru a verbal, out loud cadence.  Hook, latch. safety pin, safety chains light connection, check lights.  We got ONE (1) mile from home and was on what we call the shock absorber test road and the trailer came off and dropped down.  Pulled in the clutch and let it drag us to a stop.  When we put the brake on just as stopping the trailer hitch went up under the bike.  We pulled it out and there was the trailer ball latch standing up like a certain part on a 13 year old boy upon reading his first Playboy.  A guy had walked up and was asking questions about that fantastic camper his wife had seen inside of (The Bride loves showing her 2nd home).  I just plain and simple did not start my hook up cadence over again.  So now I go thru it and then rinse and repeat just to check if I got everything.

That is the one problem with an Aspen Camper.  People like to watch a camper pulled by a motorcycle fold up into a camper the size it does.  Then when you set the A/C in place their curiosity is too much.  We always invite them to have a look inside and when they see that king size bed and the space in the dressing area the 99% of the time word is WOW!!!!!  When they talk about their brother or etc. having a bike and they like to camp we always hand them a Aspen Camper booklet.  Do not know if Brady has sold any because of our passing his pamphlets out but at least we try.

We go by El Paso, IL several times a year.  Emily or Brady have never been there but their staff always refill our pamphlets.

brianinpa

This afternoon I got to cleaning everything up from the weekend rain and riding in a downpour and I got to cleaning the ice chest.  Problem is, this spot isn't coming off...  I guess the ice chest prevened the trailer from going too far under the bike. 

20180604_132421.jpg

Monkeytrucker

Pat that cooler on the back and call it a bumper.  What ever happens to prevent a disaster is good.

Galaxyhunter
8 hours ago, jobe05 said:

Holy Crap!!!!  That could have turned out very bad, Sure glad it didn't and you were able to fix the problem.  Another annual area to inspect before long trips I guess.  O have a spare ball on my shelf in the garage, but Im now thinking it may get relocated to the trailer whereas I would have it if and when needed.

So glad you made the trip Brian, it was great seeing you again, I hope you can make it for future M&G's.

Something else to add to the Pre-Trip inspection,  Check your receiver pin.   Last week I had some rectal canal remove my pin while my truck was park in a municipal parking lot @ work.  It turns out a co-worker had his hitch stolen.  Two weeks ago I made three trips the the landfill without any problems,  Last week my only trip ended up on the side of the road when the receiver pulled out. 

Dusty Boots

I'm so. so glad it turned out fairly well for ya, Brian.

All I could think of was that I was the cause of it with you donating those keepers, which are working excellent  by the way

brianinpa

No Ken, that had absolutely nothing to do with this.  That hitch ball gave no indication that it was coming loose... no banging, no clunking.  Just a sudden happening.  The chains did what they are meant to do and kept everything hooked up.  I don't know how, but that cooler contributed to me staying upright as well.

• Like 1

Steed

Glad it all worked out for you brother.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,