Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
RRRep

transmission noises

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

RRRep

I have finally narrowed down the noises I am hearing. I normally ride with a full face helmet so this may have been happening for some time and I just did not hear it.

A few weeks ago, I started the bike up to do some maintenance and noted a different noise coming from the bike. It sounded a lot like when the bearing went out on my timing belt tensioning pulleys. I verified then and they were OK. Here is what I currently know. When I first start up the bike, I hear a raddle or ticking noise until I pull in the clutch level. at low speeds and RPM, I can here the noise until I am in 4 or 5 gear. I do not hear it as much when the transmission if loaded, underpower going forward. In those same gears when I back off the power or coast, the noise is heard again. If I have the clutch in and am coasting down - coming to a stop, the same noise is there.

To me that sounds like a bearing is going out or has gone out but I do not know which one. I am asking any of you experts out there that might help guide me to further troubleshoot this issue.

This bike is my daily commuting bike and I currently have 96,000+ miles on it. I am assuming I will have to pull the motor out of the bike and split the case to fix this. Any inputs would be appreciated at this time.

OnaWingandaPrayer

Removing the engine is not a simple task . Splitting the case is requires some special tools to remove the clutch and tools to put three pistons back in the bores when lowering the case halves together.

It would likely be much simpler to source a used 96-2000 engine which had transmission upgrades built in. I have purchased used 1500 engines for less then the gasket sets cost from mother honda.

RRRep

Thanks Mike, I just placed my 1995 on CL and got a 2010 with only 15000 miles on it. If it was going to be a 'project' I would have found an engine and replaced it but I did not want that project in the middle of summer in Texas. Anyway, I had been looking to get a newer bike with less miles on it and the transmission just provided me (and the wife) additional motivation to make the move. So now I have owned a 1200, 1500 and now 1800.

OnaWingandaPrayer

I wish you many more happy miles now on the new set of wheels . I went thru this last summer. My 94SE trans was making noise at 209K miles . So I picked up an 03 from a member here on the forum.

I am tackling the engine replacement on the 94 and hope to pass it along to a new owner once repairs are complete. 

Mountain Rider

Congrats on the 1800, sorry to hear about the 1200 and 1500.  Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.  :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM: