Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Bluthundr31

New Modular (Flip-up) Helmet, , , Pro's and Cons

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

RogueWing936
19 minutes ago, Bluthundr31 said:

The Sharp Lab testing results had the Sy-Max 3 "unlatching the chin guard" 60% of the time,  , ,but the IS-Max II was rated as staying latched 100% of the time.  It seems that the MODEL of helmet within a BRAND makes quite a difference too.  Not all HJC's rated out high, and the same can be said for Shoei.  Its tough to find the best "bang-for-your-buck" helmet that is comfortable and looks good too.  

Scott, do you remember which "helmet safety review" site you visited for the info you shared on the HJC and Shoei? 

Here's one article  https://www.webbikeworld.com/flip-up-helmet-safety/ Im still looking

RogueWing936
27 minutes ago, Bluthundr31 said:

The Sharp Lab testing results had the Sy-Max 3 "unlatching the chin guard" 60% of the time,  , ,but the IS-Max II was rated as staying latched 100% of the time.  It seems that the MODEL of helmet within a BRAND makes quite a difference too.  Not all HJC's rated out high, and the same can be said for Shoei.  Its tough to find the best "bang-for-your-buck" helmet that is comfortable and looks good too.  

Scott, do you remember which "helmet safety review" site you visited for the info you shared on the HJC and Shoei? 

Here's another article claiming SY Max III chin lock stay shut only 40% of the time...  https://billyscrashhelmets.com/hjc-sy-max-iii-modular-crash-helmet-review/ 

Bluthundr31

REALLY GOOD INFORMATION SCOTT!!!   I used the link you gave and read the reviews for the HJC models and the Shoei models.  Very interesting results for sure. 

Thanks for sharing that site.

Ghost Rider 2

Been riding since 1968.  Been down and once in 2008 extremely hard.  I wear only Shoei helmets I think the are the best. and they fit me well.   They cost little more but can save your life.

• Like 2

RogueWing936
5 minutes ago, Ghost Rider 2 said:

Been riding since 1968.  Been down and once in 2008 extremely hard.  I wear only Shoei helmets I think the are the best. and they fit me well.   They cost little more but can save your life.

I also have been riding since 68, T boned in 2005 by F150, and yep were switching to Shoei in the very near future.. 

• Like 1

wlkjr

I have a Gmax in Hi Viz yellow that I really like. It even has a blinking LED on the rear.

Bluthundr31

Which model GMax,  , and where'd you get the LED for the back of the helmet?  What would you change on it, if you could?  Any internal sun-visor?  Speaker pockets? Ventilation adequate to stay comfortable on long rides?

wlkjr
6 hours ago, Bluthundr31 said:

Which model GMax,  , and where'd you get the LED for the back of the helmet?  What would you change on it, if you could?  Any internal sun-visor?  Speaker pockets? Ventilation adequate to stay comfortable on . Itrides?

The Gmax is the 54S. I've barely used it as my son gave it to me when he got a new one. It does have the internal dark visor but I  broke the mechanism that makes it slide. It will still slide if you grab it from inside. It has vents around the chin, sides, top front and back. Not sure how well they work as I haven't ridden with it in very hot weather. They are small slots.

The LED is a red bar that is built into the back of the helmet. Can't think of anything I'd change. Sorry I'm not more help, just haven't used it much.

• Like 1

Scott in PA

I have a Klim TK1200 Hi-Viz helmet that is going on 1 year old. Aside from the fact it fits me perfectly, it has a Transitions visor so I don't have to carry sunglasses....and it gets plenty dark enough.

Airflow is very good on hot days, and the neck drape helps on cooler mornings. All-in-all an outstanding helmet.

Bluthundr31
(edited)

Good looking helmet Scott.  The Hi-Viz is a real "plus" when out on the roads.  Is the "transitions" visor standard, or did you add it afterward?  How's the ventilation, and is it a modular helmet too? Do you use an intercom with it, and how is the wind/road noise? Would you change anything about it?

Edited by Bluthundr31