Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Bluthundr31

New Modular (Flip-up) Helmet, , , Pro's and Cons

35 posts in this topic Last Reply

Bluthundr31

Many of you know that I have my BEAST back on the road (thanks to many of you for the great tips/advice), after 8-10 yrs of wet storage, , , and the old Nolan modular helmet was about 5 yrs old when the bike was parked, , , I GOTTA GET A NEW HELMET.   But "What do I want?"

I know that even though a full-face helmet is the "safest" because of the solid chin-bar area, I also know that I do NOT want a full-face because I wear glasses, , ,I'm a smoker, ,  I prefer the choice to get "wind-in-my-face", and don't get "strange looks" from the clerk at the gas station/convenience store unless I forget to lift the chin-bar.  I loved my Nolan modular and decided to stay with the "modular" style, , , ,seems like the closest choice to a full-face, with the chin-bar down its tough to distinguish the difference between modular v. full-face.

Now to decide "Which one will fit my melon, , which is the "safest", , ,which one has the best "bang-for-the-buck", , ,which one is easy to acquire without goin all over hells-half-acre?"

Which one will fit?-  measuring my melon showed I'm a MEDIUM  on most charts,  , but LARGE on others.  I also seem to have an "Intermediate Oval" shaped head.

Which is the safest?  WOWWW, , ,I knew the helmet HAD to be DOT approved, for the U.S. , , but was shocked to find that DOT only sets "specific standards" that the helmet companies have to meet, ,but each individual company determines whether the helmet meets those standards.  An independent "third-party" does RANDOM testing on helmets on a "hit-and-miss" basis, , , but its more "miss" than "hit".  Another rating guide is the SNELL rating, , , However, since SNELL has NEVER approved/tested a "Modular" helmet, and infer that "any Modular would fail the testing process", a SNELL rating isn't possible.  Additionally, I went to as many websites as I could find to determine what helmets were "tested" for safety but could not find ANYTHING definitive from SNELL and/or  DOT.

I then ran across "SHARP" which does "impact" tests on specific helmet brands and models in the U.K. The testing is extensive and detailed, and they give a very comprehensive explanation of their results.  They seem to focus on European helmet mfgs, but there are a few of the larger U.S. helmet mfgs too.  They determine if a helmet qualifies for the ECE safety rating, which is a requirement for the European countries.  For anyone interested in checking about your specific helmet, the Sharp website is:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk

Since the only 5 star modular helmet that stayed "latched" 100% of the time was a BMW System5 helmet, I began looking for one, but they are like "unicorns" here in the U.S.

I found a few 4 star modular helmets that stayed "latched" 100% of the time and, after much effort searching/researching, I found that the HJC brand was VERY popular and widely sold here in the U.S., it qualified for the tougher ECE rating,  and the price ($188.99) was in my wheel-house.  It seemed to be the "safest", available in my size, convenient to purchase (Revzilla), and was the most cost-effective.

I purchased an HJC Brand, "IS MAX II" model helmet for $188.99.  I transferred my BT-S2 Intercom/headset from my 'old" Nolan to the new HJC,  and the transition was seamless.  I took the BEAST into the shop to fix the leaking fork seals and the new "rig" was an OUTSTANDING piece of gear.  I'm pleased so far.

Please give feedback on which modular helmet you have, , why to like it, , and what you'd change on it (if you could).  

Mountain Rider

The HJC is exactly the helmet I went with, an love it. I found the same convenience using it as I also wear glasses, but prefer a full face. The vents work very well for getting air in and around my head, making it more comfortable on warmer days.  The chin vent works alright, but on cooler days, my breath still fogs the visor a  bit.  Also,because I wear glasses, I found the sun shield to be a great addition, and on really bright days I can throw a set of prescription sunglasses under there to really darken things up. I bought a set of the BT-S2's as well, and they fit great, but just don't work for me (another story for another time), so I installed the standard headsets back in the new helmet. The only thing I had to modify was the foam core where the ear pieces set. I had to recess them so they didn't rub on my ears. I think you did well. :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Mysticfour

I bought the IS max II modular helmet as well,  still need to get another for my wife 

AZgl1800

I have an older HJC modular and it served me well, right up to the time it came off during my Penske truck accident.

My fault I think, had a bad habit of leaving the strap across my chin, instead of under my neck....

I now have a Shoei NeoTech modular that is 2 years old. Prior to buying for good, CycleGear allowed me to try out two other helmets for 30 days each to see if I can wear them..... nope, kept having to get a better one.....

The Shoei NeoTech modular is a great helmet, IF, it fits you.

No two skulls are the same, so go to a brick and mortar store and try a bunch of them on....

CycleGear can't be beat for having a huge inventory of helmets.

and the manager moved my EdSet comm gear to each helmet for me, no charge, and they still make that offer in their advertisements.

• Like 1

Bluthundr31

Dave and Ronnie, , do you have the Internal Sunshade that is retractable with a spring and the "button" on top?  Does the spring lose its "snap" after awhile? The spring on mine is fine but I wonder if leaving the sunshade down for long periods of time will eventually make the spring lose its "memory".  Do either of you use the vents often.  I'm real impressed with the amount of air-flow over my head with the top vent full-open.  Do either of you wear ear-plugs to dampen wind/road noise?  How about a chin-curtain?  Does that help with wind/road noise?

John, is that Shoei Neotec have the "round", or is it the "intermediate oval" shape for your head?  How's the ventilation through the face/forehead vents?  Do you have any wind/noise dampening items that you use regularly?

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Mine has the internal sun shade, and so far the spring hasn't been a problem. Over time it may weaken, but if I understand the mechanism correctly, it be good for a long time. 

I use the vents all the time and love them. Great air flow through all of them. I wish there was a bit better flow for the visor as I still fog up the bottom on cooler days. 

I don't wear ear plugs, though I might give that a try. I did try the chin curtain, but didn't care for it as it blocked my mike. 

Edited by Mountain Rider
  • Like 1

AZgl1800
On 6/5/2018 at 1:33 AM, Bluthundr31 said:

John, is that Shoei Neotec have the "round", or is it the "intermediate oval" shape for your head?  How's the ventilation through the face/forehead vents?  Do you have any wind/noise dampening items that you use regularly?

Shoei looks round from the sides and front, but as to what design it is, I'm not sure, will look inside and see if there is any labels on it, bought it almost 3 years ago. it has been superseded by a newer NeoTech now.

Mysticfour

I have only had my helmet for a couple months,  I didn't think the airflow through vents was as much as I would have liked 

AZgl1800
11 hours ago, Mysticfour said:

I have only had my helmet for a couple months,  I didn't think the airflow through vents was as much as I would have liked 

that is exactly what I thought about my Shoei, right up until I bought the Madstad and dropped the screen down to only six inches above the dash..... then the vents started making a difference, I could feel air circulating around the back of my head.

• Like 1

Mysticfour

Guess that makes sense,  windshield blocking the air needed to get airflow through the helmet 

Bluthundr31

Great advice/suggestion John, , ,I'm gonna try lowering the windshield on my BEAST before the hot part of summer gets here.  I will sometimes "raise" up off the seat slightly at times to get the air-flow into the upper vent which really helps.  DUHHHH, , , never thought of lowering the windshield for the "hot" weather til now.  The simplest solution is sometimes beyond my sight/vision, , , ,

Mysticfour

I don't think mine will lower, I  believe its down all the way

Bluthundr31

THANKS AGAIN JOHN!!! I lowered the windshield on the BEAST only about 1/2" and went for a ride in our 95degree weather.  Just that small amount made a world of difference and I can feel the air-flow in thru the upper vents and out the "exhaust vents". 

BTW, that Shoei Neotec is one of the BEST rated helmets on the market with respect to "Safety" and impact ratings.  There isn't a test yet posted for the Neotec II but I bet it'll be atleast as good, if not better than the original.  I love the Hi-Viz Graphics on the Neotec II but it was a bit out of my budget range. 

Mysticfour

Me and my wige were out yesterday and was stifling hot, wound up pulling over in rest area and took the fave shields off,  so much better,  they will not go back on until it cools back down a little bit or rain or inclement weather is called for. Without the shields it was much more bearable and more enjoyable 

RogueWing936

We have HJC Sy-Max II, they are good helmets however mine is starting to come apart on the inside snaps aren't holding any more and the inters want to come out everytime I take it off.. So the next helmets will be Shoei Neo Tec II   

Bluthundr31

Snaps on the Sy-Max worn out, ,, ,OK thanks, , I'll be cautious with the ones on the IS-Max just to be safe.  They ARE cheap looking little plastic snaps for sure.  How long have you had the Sy-Max and when did the snaps begin to give you trouble?  I've already removed the cheek 'inserts" twice to mount/remount my headset.  I'm sure I'll be washing/cleaning the inserts as time goes by, , , , but if the snaps are a problem, , I'll be selective on "unsnapping" them.

ALL OTHER BRAND OF MODULAR HELMET REVIEWS ARE WELCOME TO POST HERE!!! LETS SEE ALL THE PRO'S AND CON'S OF YOUR MODULAR!!!

RogueWing936

This helmet is about a year old, it started giving me trouble about 5 months ago, the 3 snaps at the forehead cushion unsnap everytime I take it off unless Im wearing a due rag  

RogueWing936

My biggest beef with all the helmet manufactures is the lack of a solid HI VIZ offered now days... After getting T Bone some years back I cant get enough "can you see me Gear"

Bluthundr31
(edited)

Yep, , they charge an additional $20-$50 for the "Graphics" helmets with Hi-viz, , , then they discontinue the graphics on new models.  Its frustrating for sure.  I'm contemplating putting on some "stick-on" Hi-Viz graphics on my new (black) helmet.  I like the Hi-Viz yellow with "reflectorized" flakes but haven't found exactly what I want yet.

So, within 7 months the darn snaps got worn out??  Dang, does HJC warranty them?  My cheek pads snap in, and the snaps seem to work OK for now, I haven't fiddled with the larger "Head" liner, so I hope its OK

Edited by Bluthundr31
additional response

RogueWing936

yep, I think Im going to go with a white shoei next

RogueWing936

I was reading helmet safety reviews on modular helmets, HJC came unlatched 78% of the time during an impact. Shoei  did much better, thats one of the reasons Im switching

AZgl1800
16 hours ago, RogueWing936 said:

My biggest beef with all the helmet manufactures is the lack of a solid HI VIZ offered now days... After getting T Bone some years back I cant get enough "can you see me Gear"

Getting hurt bad, sort of changes our view point don't it?

Suddenly that hot, heavy helmet makes a lot of sense.

The cost of my Shoei Neo Tec sort of snuck up on me, having gone thru 2 cheaper ones at a time, and with CycleGear allowing me to wear it a while, and then learning that I needed a better one.  chucking out $200 at a time hurt a lot less than $600 all at once

RogueWing936

I was wearing a HJC Sy Max I when I got T Bones, it did its job with out flaw... That's the main reason I bought the one I have but its not holding up well so I think I will try Shoei, with that being said I have to but everything in 2's  so that 600 dollar helmet is now 1200 but I don't have a problem with it... 

Bluthundr31
(edited)

The Sharp Lab testing results had the Sy-Max 3 "unlatching the chin guard" 60% of the time,  , ,but the IS-Max II was rated as staying latched 100% of the time.  It seems that the MODEL of helmet within a BRAND makes quite a difference too.  Not all HJC's rated out high, and the same can be said for Shoei.  Its tough to find the best "bang-for-your-buck" helmet that is comfortable and looks good too.  

Scott, do you remember which "helmet safety review" site you visited for the info you shared on the HJC and Shoei? 

Edited by Bluthundr31
additional information

RogueWing936
11 minutes ago, Bluthundr31 said:

The Sharp Lab testing results had the Sy-Max 3 "unlatching the chin guard" 60% of the time,  , ,but the IS-Max II was rated as staying latched 100% of the time.  It seems that the MODEL of helmet within a BRAND makes quite a difference too.  Not all HJC's rated out high, and the same can be said for Shoei.  Its tough to find the best "bang-for-your-buck" helmet that is comfortable and looks good too.  

Scott, do you remember which "helmet safety review" site you visited for the info you shared on the HJC and Shoei? 

No I sure don't it was last year but Ill look through my PC history see if I can find it again. I do remember looking specifically at the Sy Max II since that's what I have