Sign in to follow this  
BigBob

Alcan is in good shape

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

BigBob

If your planning a ride to Alaska this year is the time to do it.  I saw a report from Wheeldog over on Motocampers.  He is a long time Alaskan rider who just drove it in his p/u with camper.

Came from NY to Alaska.......got in a little over a week ago. Alcan is in the best shape I have ever seen it in. No construction and decent pavement all the way. There is some bad potholes around Swift River area and about 20 miles of bad pavement before Beaver Creek. Tok cutoff between Tok and Glennallen sucks. That's about it. I was in a pickup with a camper......but no problems on a bike. I used diesel.....kind of expensive.....averaged around $1.35 a ltr cdn. Most was $1.499 at Toad River. They "say" fuel in BC is supposed to get high this summer.

This is good news!!  Some years it has not been so sweet.  I can't wait to hit the road for this summers trips.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Compared to the last time I drove it, that's an awesome report.  I drove it in 1975, the pavement looked like it was cut by a knife at the Alaskan boarder, and didn't see any pavement until the Customs station and that was just a concrete pad under an awning.  From there, there was nothing until White Horse, about 15 miles worth.  A lot of gravel travel back then.

BigBob

Yes back in the 1970's it was all gravel.  I moved to Juneau in 1975.  The first time I rode a bike on the Alcan was 1976.  I was heading north from Juneau to go see my brother in Valdez during the pipeline building days.  It was quite an adventure for a young guy just out of the Army.  My first time heading south on the Alcan was on my spanking new 1987 GL1200 Interstate.  By then of the 900 miles of Alcan I had to drive about 300 was still gravel.  This summer will be my 29th trip on a motorcycle on the Alcan of those only three where not on Wings.  My Bride also rides a Wing and 650 dual sports. She has been along on about 2/3rds of the trips.

BigBob

I will be heading out on my 30th Alcan trip in a couple weeks and will post a highway update before the end of the month.

• Like 1

BigBob

Road update:
Saturday afternoon  I got off the ferry in Skagway to head down the Alcan. The highway out of Skagway is paved, there was a bit of construction for a bridge replacement but was a snap. The highway on the US side is getting chewed up, pray for oil prices so Alaska can fix the roads.... The Canadian section up to carcross was in great shape. I turned there on the Carcross cutoff that takes me to Jakes Corner where I joined the Alcan.
South bound from here the road was in great shape with only one gravel section, it was about 4-5 miles long just north of Rancheria. Speaking of Rancheria, it was closed. So between Teslin and the Watson Lake/junction 37 there is no gas for about 150 miles.
The road was in good shape till around Profit River, they have construction signs signs posted. They were just patching chip seal, they were older patches so I kicked the speed back up then I hit the one fresh one and just about ended it with a tank slapper..... Fresh chips are a Witch, slow down :muutt
A lot of the roadhouses were not open so that limits your gas stops. I stopped at all of my normal stops that I posted recently and they were open for business.

Some of the lakes still had ice on them but melting fast, today I had temps as high as 86 near Fort Nelson, it was much warmer than I was expecting.

Bikes, I saw about two dozen bikes heading north bound

Bees.... from Fort Nelson to Fort St. John the darn bees where thick. The front of my Wing was slimy with bee splatter. I opened my helmet to take a drink and had two bees hit, one on my glasses and the other hit my cheek then crawled in my helmet and stung me before I could get stopped from 85mph...... ouch that hurt.

Smoke, Yup there was some smoke. There are fires in Northern Alberta and up near Haines Junction. It was thick enough that you miss seeing all the vista's south of Watson Lake.

Critters, Yup lots of critters. One Grizz, about 16 black bears, one Moose, 3 foxes, bunch of Buffalo and one critter that looked like a wolverine... I pulled over on a wide shoulder to take a pee and before I could shut down this critter came charging out of the ditch snapping and growling so I popped it in gear and got the heck out of there.

All in all my ride down the Alcan was real nice for my 30th trip! I will be heading back up with my wife in about a week, hopefully it will be a nice Adventure too

BigBob

We got home to Juneau Sunday night.  The construction season on the Alcan is in full swing.  From Whitehorse to the south there were 6 active construction zones and they were staging gear at a few more.  The longest was 40 km long.  None were real bad, the highway is chip seal, as it wears they tear it up and take it back to gravel, then put on fresh chip seal.  The gravel sections were smooth, some were real dusty and others were muddy.

When your in gravel with your Wing always ride with the bike in one gear higher than you normally would be in at that speed, it smooths out the bike and above all keep your eyes looking up ahead don't look down or that maybe where you end up.