Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • T-Shirt Orders Close on June 8th!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
Sign in to follow this  
Mountain Rider

Question about the Madstad windshield

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

The windshield on the 1800 is in need of a good polish job or replacement. It appears to have some kind of protective coating, which has been compromised. There are a couple large streaks down the middle that don't seem to polish out, plus scratches which make it difficult to see clearly. 

When we were shopping for the new bike, we rode a Harley Eltra Glide. I really liked the windshield on that bike, as I was looking over it, not through it, yet we weren't getting a lot of buffeting. 

Looking at the Madstad windshield, it looks like you look over it as well, but have the benefit of the air being directed up and over you and the passenger. I know AZgl1800 has one, so I guess this is really for him. Is this in fact the way these work, and does it really help with buffeting for the passenger?  Anything I can do to make Leslie happier is always a plus. How do they do in the rain?  

Thanks

Monkeytrucker

Use Pledge on the wind screen.  We used it on our 1200 when we had so much crazing we could not see thru it when driving into the sun.  Used Pledge and it filled all of the crazing and made the wind screen great again.  Works on plastic lens in glasses.  Lemon Pledge makes honey bees try to find the pollen. 

AZgl1800

Yes, I have the Madstad.

at first install, Jimmy and I pushed it as high as it would go, and almost vertical. 

That emulated the Optic Armor +4 that it replaced, and a ride proved that it did.

Next ride, I dropped it down to eyeline level, and again, it did exactly what Madstad claims.

The airstream goes above your helmet if you wish, you control that by slanting the screen back towards you for "more air".  But, at 'eyeline level' I was bothered by the edge of the screen floating up/dn across my vision to the road ahead.

Next stop, I dropped it all the way to the bottom which is at least 7 inches below the Optic Armor, it is about chest high on me.... and again, the Airstream is above my helmet.... if you want wind in your face, slant it backwards....   I do believe that the Bottom most position is going to be the winner for me.

I have about 4 inches of "above the screen" view of the road ahead, no distortions from looking through a windscreen, like I have done for 20+ years. I love it.

I think the Madstad if the best of all Windscreen Worlds.

You can make it do what you want, when you want....

They say to not adjust it while riding.  e.g., Up/down ( I agree with this )

Slant Forward/Backward, it is easy to do, and I did it a lot...

that is the only way you can decide how you want the Airstream to flow at/over/around you.

Oh, the original OEM up/dn controls stay in operation.... so at a stop, you can leave the 'slant' as is, and raise/lower the windscreen.

AZgl1800

Oh, for cleaning it? I have Pledge and Plexus both in the trunk.

I use the Pledge as a cleaner...... if no water available. on the fairings, and windscreen.

in the morning, I use a wet towel to get the bugs off, then the Plexus...

awesome stuff.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/plexus.php

09-29710.jpg

Mountain Rider

So the base actually mounts in place of the original windshield, and that moves up and down for your vertical adjustment. That's pretty cool. I guess it's time to start stocking the piggy bank. 

AZgl1800

Actually there are two (2) vertical height adjustments.

The OEM amount, plus there is about 4 inches of vertical height available in the Madstad brackets.

What steered me to Madstad was the fact that my Optic Armor was 2 inches too tall to allow the bike to roll up into the Toy Hauler garage.  I have been curious about it for years, but now that I have one, won't ever go back to anything else.

Since I have the "body temperature" problem resulting from the 18 wheeler hitting me in 2008, this thing just might be very valuable to me.  I am going to try tilting it back when the temps get up over 80°F and see if that will allow me to ride in the higher temps?  I always wear ATGATT and the normal windshields block all airflow on my body.

Mountain Rider

We'll, if my driveway and in ground sprinkler work goes as planned, I'll be ordering one up next month. I don't have a service manual yet, how involved is it to remove the old one and install the new one?  

jobe05

Its not hard, just a couple things to remember.  There are 2 nuts that have to come off behind the mirror's on each side.  Before attempting to remove these, but a rag in the the opening of the cowl below. If you drop a nut in the obis, you will never see it again.

When you go to put the rubber back on around the mirror, you have 3 or 4 little rubber tabs and 1 round long tab that have to go into their respective hole and slots.  SPIT......  Spit is the only lubricant that I have found that make these slide back in with ease.  I have tried all kinds of oils and greases, nothing works like plain Ol Spit!

• Haha 1

AZgl1800

ditto on putting a White rag down into the Dark Abyss of Nowhere.

Try as we might to NOT loose one of those screws, it got away from us trying to put it back in.

and down it went, into the Abyss.... but, we were in luck, the White Cloud held it in place  ☺️😀