Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • T-Shirt Orders Close on June 8th!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
scraper

charging system

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

scraper

As I did in nov. I had a failure in charging. Change both reg rec and the coil. finally got it together this spring and all was good. This am saw the  head light dim got to work and 11.5 volts. charge it up and got home. Did some checking and these are the readings. on the stator .8 coil to coil 61 volts ac running 3300 rpms so the coil is good rite. now with the reg rec the readings are grn to yel 1.6 for the 3 and grn to blk is 23.4. I saved the old rec and the same raeding not to say that it is good but the same readings. I put it in and still no charging at 3000 rpms. with that said am I only looking at a bad reg rec and not a stator coil. Don I even reread your post to double check that I wasn't doing it wrong again. The only thing that I did diffrent was the ac test to ground and I got 31 volts at 4500 rpms. But a-b b-c  c-a 61 volts ac.

Now that being said I did cheap and bought a Celtic reg recand not one from Ricks power sports. So i may have gotten what I payed for. 

Does this help anybody determine what I have wrong or rite so I can fix it.

roscoepc

I've never heard of testing the stator voltage to ground and I wouldn't recommend it.. At ALL!! If you ARE getting 60vac across all three legs AND, with the bike not running, have no shorts to ground, then yes.. I'd say the regulator has went bad on you.. The first regulator I bought was an Electrosports that cost about $100.00 and some change but lasted about 10 minute's/15 miles... That's why I recommend the OEM Shindengen that you can get at Regulator Rectifier.com for about 1/2 the price Mother Honda wants.. If they even sell it anymore...... Did you perform the Stator test I've posted??

scraper

yes I did and how the book says also and not that it counts the one from my 900 that it still good but has less wires. Thanks.

scraper

This is the storie so far. I got a R\R from rick's motorsports monday and got it put in. I had them make a slightly bigger one for me just cause. So to work this am and back stop to pick up my drugs at the store and hard crank. Real slow and just catches to start. Get home and check the volts and down to 11.54. Pull the R\R plug check ohms 9.7 on yellow. Great that still good check the coils A\C and getting 60 volts at 4000 rpms so am I missing something. I soldiered the yellow wires over the winter so that connection is gone.

Now as far as the new R\R goes the tech at ricks say that they found that the blk wire is eliminated because it was causing an  over voltage to the rec and it can be gone. And looking at the schematic I see that the blk is really redundant. Because both the red and black go to the ignition switch from the rec. So is there something that is not rite with what I've done or missed. Help

roscoepc

Take a look at the starter solenoid. Check the 2 red, red/white wires that are feeding into the 30 amp Dogbone fuse located behind a cover at the top of the solenoid. Those wires will burn there also and the fix for that is to solder a spade type 30 amp inline fuse. Are you checking the voltage at the battery? If so either check it at that fuse or at the regulator...

scraper

Checking at the battery i have a quick disconnect to it so I can connect my solar panel to it when I listen to the radio. 

I'll have to pull the rubber boot up and check the red wires there.

let ya know.

scraper

Ya so that's it the red white trace wire the female spade is gone. Like in vapiorized. Does anybody have the 4 pin holder.

Thanks for the look see.

roscoepc

Greg, you REALLY need to just cut the red and red/white wires and bypass that old dogbone fuse with an inline fuse!! Here's a pic of what I did with mine which should help explaining a bit..... Trust me... This ain't my first Rodeo with this... :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

003.JPG

roscoepc

A bit more info: The connections you see that I made are first rosin core soldered and the heat shrink wrapped. The connection you see the new fuse going to is the battery side of the solenoid. That wire is terminated with a round butt crimp connector that is crimped and ALSO soldered before the heat shrink is used.... I'm VERY big on soldering any connections when replacing any of the spade connectors especially ones that involve the charging system!! I did all of mine from the stator to the regulator to the starter solenoid back in '07 and have had ZERO problems with my charging system since.. I've only dealt with 1 bike that all this soldering did not repair the charging system and that was an '85 Ltd Ed down in Ft. Myers, Fla.that just wouldn't stay repaired!! So I went down there with a new Shindengen regulator I'd bought just for this and spent all day installing the regulator, new fuse holders and soldering everything.. Dam thing Failed in less than 2 weeks... The problem turned out to be the one thing I never thought of: The battery cables were fried!! Both of them!!! That caused too much resistance/load for the regulator causing it to fail...

Oh well... Live and Learn I guess...... :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

jobe05
56 minutes ago, roscoepc said:

Trust me... This ain't my first Rodeo with this...

Greg, take my word for it, if Don tells you something, take it seriously.  He has saved me a few times when I had my 1200, even came to my house to teach me how to do it.

If Don can't help you, No One can!!

• Like 1

scraper

I was thinking of the holder itself to keep the back 2 wires in place cause of the way it's melted. I have a fuse holder to take its place. I had to replace 2 wish bone fuses last year. And when I did the stator and the reg\rec I just just didn't do it then. Looks like putting it off cost me  another 150$. That was why I asked what else is there. Now if this was my old 900 c.f. It wouldn't have been an issue. I knew that bike like a glove. This monster is a whole new learning curve. I think to make it easy tighten the spades on the control wires. Leave the holder alone. And yes soldier and crimp is the only way to go with anything that is exposed to the outside. Do that on the bike truck even the wires going to my barn. Check O even made the son weld his dog lights on his truck this weekend.

I have just got to find where I put that fuse holder. The pig tails were just rite. Some of the bennies of working for the city with it own radio shop that got disbanded and left all the parts set out. I have a wide thing just can't seem to throw it away may need that some day. The little women doesn't see it that way. I have to much stuff. And it's all good to.

I'll let ya know how it goes. If all works like it's supposed to that is.

thanks for the hand. I learned more about this bike. They have big power issues.

roscoepc
2 minutes ago, scraper said:

I was thinking of the holder itself to keep the back 2 wires in place cause of the way it's melted.

Solenoid Connector Pictures..... Inquiring minds would like Solenoid Connector Pictures Please!!!!!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM: In case yer wondering those are the hot wire and the ground to energize the solenoid when you hit the switch. The front 2 are from the regulator to charge the battery and to feed power to the bike's electrical system.... The front 2 are stripped and twisted together when connecting the new inline fuse so they both have access to the battery.

scraper

I have to claim stupid for just a moment and put the inline to both the red wires and no juice and thought what now. Well ya have to give it the power ya dummy. 

• Haha 1

Monkeytrucker

You are not a dummy.  You just had a learning experience.  

roscoepc
2 hours ago, scraper said:

I have to claim stupid for just a moment and put the inline to both the red wires and no juice and thought what now. Well ya have to give it the power ya dummy. 

Patience Young Padawan.... The Force is with you.......

the force GIF

scraper

All gooder  better. It even make DC voltage. The way it should.

remind me of the day I was working a new pole with traffic signals and led signals. And we use he red yellow green wires for main phase and the same but with a trace strip for side street. Got all done put all the colors the way they should be. And did put the feed side to any of it. And I've watched my guys do the same thing you just get going and look at what you've done and say awstuff.

• Thanks 1