Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Trike Lower Lens Cover Fell Off!

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

OK, the trike is just barely 6 months old and has less than 4K on it. I was at the car wash today and was using the low pressure rinse blowing off some of the dust that has settled and wham, the lower left rear CSC red lens cover just blew right off! I put it in the trunk and headed home to evaluate. Upon close examination, the lens cover has zero screws and was held on by a small bead of some crappy adhesive around the edge, no internal tabs or anything. Apparently it was either a poor quality job or the adhesive was crap. So, I put my  fingernail under the edge of the right one and POP, it just came right off with very little effort!

First, I am glad I found it this way rather than losing one of them on the highway!  I guess they need to be glued back on but with what and how do you access those lights if maintenance is needed, from the trunk? Any advice or guidance from the experts out there?

20180428_132443.jpg

20180428_132504.jpg

20180428_132622.jpg

• Surprise 1

OnaWingandaPrayer

John, are those LED panels ?  Not sure how you access the bulbs if behind the perforated panel. 

After you figure the access out you might try a bead of clear silicone to hold the lens.

Halfling
27 minutes ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

John, are those LED panels ?  Not sure how you access the bulbs if behind the perforated panel. 

After you figure the access out you might try a bead of clear silicone to hold the lens.

They are indeed LED panels. I haven't checked access as yet but I suspect through the trunk. Maybe they won't EVER burn out!!! The old stuff used is peeling off so I'll have to clean it all off and then hit it with some Isopropyl  BEFORE I try to attach them back on using anything AND it needs to be waterproof!!!

The big question in my mind is should I use something that I may be able to pry lose if I need to or should I use something a bit more permanent! 

Halfling

Just took some time to take a good look inside the trunk, the carpet is Velcro'd in the light area and there is a plastic knob to unscrew and pull the LED panel back through the trunk. I didn't try it but that's what it looks like to me. The stuff I'm peeling off looks like silicone and it was in a bead all the way around (to keep water out I suppose). It looks old and yellow and I guess it just let go. Shouldn't take me too long to fix it up and get back in business.

OnaWingandaPrayer

John, did a light once where I converted to LED. When I siliconed the lens back in place , I put a fishing line inside with each end hanging out . If I needed to get back inside I could pull that fish line and cut the silicone.  In my case I was able to hide the exposed ends of fish line . I don't know if have that option. 

I hope I explaining that so it's understandable.

Halfling
1 hour ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

When I siliconed the lens back in place , I put a fishing line inside with each end hanging out .

Hmmm, interesting, not sure how much I can "hide" it be still interesting

pwhoever

IIRC, California Sidecar put a 5 year warranty on these trikes. I would give them a call on Mon morning and see what they tell you. I would consider this a warranty issue.

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

John, if you use a sealer to put it back on, use Permatex Ultra.  It will adhere anything.  You can get it is various colors.  Will even patch holes in exhaust systems.  A guy told me he tore down an engine and the bolts holding the valve cover broke off.  Said he used Utra, let it sit till cured and the valve cover was still on miles later.  I do know it is great for re attaching trim pieces and etc.

• Like 1

Halfling

I got out to the trike today and spent a lot of time/effort in cleaning off ALL of the old silicone from BOTH sides. It was very yellowed and appeared to be old to me. I then cleaned them up using 99% isopropyl  alcohol. Cleaned the red lenses with it as well. I then ran a generous bead of clear silicone around the opening and applied the red  lens covers into it firmly. The line up is perfect and the silicone appears to have spread evenly for a watertight seal. I used some balled up rags on the outside of the red lenses and ran some clear packing tap across it to make sure there was some pressure applied while it dried. I suspect it will hold for a long time.

20180429_124355.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Yay 1

Parman

Sounds like a phone call to CSC. They come with a 5 year warranty. That shouldn't happen to a tail light.

Halfling
1 hour ago, Parman said:

Sounds like a phone call to CSC. They come with a 5 year warranty. That shouldn't happen to a tail light

While I agree, I am not sure what the solution would be for such a low cost item. Nothing but a couple of hours of my time and about $6 for the silicone. Now if the lens was damaged or lost, that would be a totally different situation.  I will probably give them a call anyway and also talk to them about my trunk door leaking.