Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Sign in to follow this  
jobe05

Thinking about what I have to do.............

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

Thinking about what I have to do to get my Aspen ready for the 2018 season.....

I need a new battery for the lights inside.  I want to get another AGM motorcycle battery so that while traveling, in an emergency, I'll have a spare battery for the bike.

Last year I took the brake controller off the tongue to install it in a better weather proof box.  In my haste And lack of pictures, I mixed up some of the wiring so now when I hit the brakes, The electric brakes come on fully..........

Repack wheel bearings.

Do an annual purge of basement items.  My new rule for basement items.  If I didn't use it last year, I probably wont this year and out it comes!

Replenish my coffee box supplies.  i.e. coffee filters, 1 lb LP tanks etc....

Wash pillow cases, sleeping bags hand towels.

Check all nut's, bolts, screws, and rivets to make sure nothing came lose or is warn.  I learned this from the nut on the tongue latch coming loose on me a couple years ago and the bolts on the hinged bed part of the camper had a couple broken screws on it.  If I had not spotted that when I did, it would have broke completely, and with the gas struts, it would have lifted up.  Under highway speeds, Im sure it would tear right off.  So now I check that often.

THats all I can think of for now........  I'll add more as I think of it.

AZgl1800

I have a very similar list for my Toy Hauler as it was not well maintained before I bought it.

X - new battery done

X - new high capacity tongue jack installed, pulls less current and twice the load capacity

* install a bypass manifold so the HW tank can be drained easily and left empty for winter.

* make a TV mount for the new LED TV, we have a few DV movies for it

* R&R the generator oil and power cycle it for an hour to drive out moisture from winter

* fix the floor in the bathroom, got wet in years gone by and soft to walk on

* install a new intake manifold for the water pump ( to use to suck in RV antifreeze for all the Water lines )

* install the new winch to lift the ramp back up off the ground, too heavy for me and Cyndi....

......... the factory really goofed on this, no overhead roll up spring lift, like garage door. just a couple of springs about a 1/3rd the was up from the bottom hinge.   useless as bumps on a boar hog.

* replace bad stop/signal lights on the rear...

other than, we don't have anything to do before we both go rally tripping :rofl:

Ghost Rider 2

I bought a new to me Kwik Kamp trailer last fall.  I  brought it over from storage shed to garage back in January and went threw everything.  Cleaned everything and packed everything in it except food. Repacked the bearings and did a little rewiring on it.  I may replace the tires this spring just for peace of mind.   This was a 1 owner camper guy I bought it from towed it behind his BMW. Great shape and is a lot lighter than other bike campers I looked at. It is smaller and as my wife says it is a 1 butt camper.  And that fine with her. She says when we out riding she not camping.  She says on bike trips roughing it is when you get stuck at a motel without a pool.  She is fine with riding 750 miles a day, but when we done she wants a nice clean room air conditioning and a restaurant very close to the motel.

• Like 1

brianinpa

Tis the season... I am taking inventory of all my gear and making sure it is ready for another year.  If it is suspect (old poles for the tarp) they get replaced with the tried and true telescoping poles.  I had a running "nice to have" list from last year, so now I am starting to work on that list, but sadly that list only seems to be getting longer.  I'd really like to get a smaller propane tank (5 pound) so I don't need to keep buying and throwing away the 1 pounders, but those things must be lined with gold!  I could buy two 20-pound tanks for the price of one 5-pound tank.  Finally the snow has left my back yard so I can get the trailer into the shop and start looking things over on that as well.

jobe05

I too wanted to get a 5# LP tank, but like you, I want no investment in Gold when your selling me a white tank......

Last year, I bought the adapter to fit my 20# tank to refill the 1# tanks and found it works pretty good.  I was able to fill one tank fully but the other tank only filled about half way.  Could be the tank, could be user error as it was my first attempt at refilling.

brianinpa
16 minutes ago, jobe05 said:

I too wanted to get a 5# LP tank, but like you, I want no investment in Gold when your selling me a white tank......

Last year, I bought the adapter to fit my 20# tank to refill the 1# tanks and found it works pretty good.  I was able to fill one tank fully but the other tank only filled about half way.  Could be the tank, could be user error as it was my first attempt at refilling.

I have an adapter as well.  I haven't used it yet, but everything I have read is that you will never get them, nor do you want them, completely full: 80% is about the best you can hope for and where the bigger tanks are shut off at when refilled. 50% is about the average that people seem to report as getting with just the adapter.

Ghost Rider 2

question??  Has anyone here ever tried one of those 12volt/110ac refrigerators?  I saw a very small one the other day that holds 6 cans max or 4 cans and a sub sandwich.  I was wondering how well they work and how long it takes to get cool.  And as for the 5 pound lp tanks.  Check with the rv surplus places up in the Elkhart Ind area. Sometimes they have all kinds of that stuff.  May be scratch and dent but they work.

brianinpa
(edited)

I've used one of these several times when I've been in the car and have no real complaints as far as keeping things cold, I plug it in the night before I leave so it is cold when I am ready to hit the road.   Depending on the model you get, just make sure you do not reverse the plug and accidently turn it into a warmer when you want it to be a cooler.

When buying used or older propane tanks, remember they have an expiration date: ten years from the date they were manufactured, five years from the date they were reinspected and stamped with an "E" date or seven years from the date they were reinspected and stamped with an "S" date.  Some places don't care and refill anything, someplace are picky about what they refill.

Edited by brianinpa

jobe05

THe big issue with using 12v fridges on the camper (or on a rack at the back of the bike) is they have a fan that blows arir into the unit (I would assume across a set of coils) If running while traveling they suck up a lot of dirt/dust and won't work/last long.

Parman

Holly Molly.

You are actually starting to smarten up a little. I'm happy to hear you say your lightening your load in the trailer. I've seen the stuff you haul. You will  lose at least 50#.

Now if we can get you to quit mowing your lawn when its snowing. :roflmao:

jobe05
33 minutes ago, Parman said:

You will  lose at least 50#.

I started last year and I did weigh everything.  I forgot what the number was but it was like 180 pounds taken out!! 

There isn't much left in there, maybe another 10 to 15 pounds out this year.  But I will still have to load Trip specific items so that could all change tomorrow, who knows.....

And I didn't hear you complaining when I cooked you breakfast every day on our trip..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Parman

Hey I did the dishes. Paper plates are hard to clean.

• Haha 1

AZgl1800
26 minutes ago, Parman said:

yup, they just rumple up into a wad :surprise:

Monkeytrucker

Question?  what about taking say 4 one pound bottles and manifolding them into one unit?   Should be able to charge them together or as single units.  But then it would be just as simple to carry 4 or 5 one pound bottles and simply change them when needed.

brianinpa
3 hours ago, Parman said:

You need something to start the fire after riding all day!

brianinpa
2 hours ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Question?  what about taking say 4 one pound bottles and manifolding them into one unit?   Should be able to charge them together or as single units.  But then it would be just as simple to carry 4 or 5 one pound bottles and simply change them when needed.

I can see a use for at least two: you wouldn't lose light in the lantern or flame in the stove while switching bottles.  Anything more than two would be over kill, but I have been referred to as captain overkill by my sons from time to time.

pwhoever

I slapped a new set of shoes on mine today to start the preparation. Brand new Carlisle ST145R12 tires. The last set of radials along with the previous bias ply didnt last too long due to the bent frame and axle. Now that the frame and axles are now brand new, I'm hoping to get way more mileage out of this set.

Next will be setting up the tent for a good cleaning and go through the gear and decide what works and what hasn't.  I have been going through serious withdrawals and cant wait for the first trip to start but that won't be until June...

And even though I'm retired, I still have to wait for the little guy to get a little older and I will be able to take a lot more journies...

• Like 1