Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
jobe05

Adding a tarp for the side of the Aspen

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

jobe05

I was asked if I could post about making my Tarp for extra covered living space outside my Aspen Classic.

I ordered the UV rated tarp from here : http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps-single-tarps-white-tarps.html

I believe the side was 10'x12', but check your camper to make sure of the size, and that you ave the full length soft sided velcro on your camper canvas.

I then order 2" Loop velco and sewed it to the tarp.  The material wasn't that thick and was able to do this on my old sears sewing machine.  I did use some heavy duty thread rated for outdoor use http://www.joann.com/coats-clark-outdoor-200yd-thread/zprd_11744323a.html#q=Coats%2B&start=1 

This thread has been on many of my projects for the past 3 years and I highly recommend it.  Again, it works in a regular sewing machine.

If anyone has more, or better pictures of this type of project please post!!

Tarp.jpg

• Like 1

Halfling

Any recommendations on the poles, are they just the Walmart variety?

jobe05

My poles are a mix or 2 piece and 3 piece adjustable poles, No Name poles.  I don't see a difference in use between them.  the 3 piece are a walmart pole on got on EBay.  The guy had them for $9 each plus shipping.  I sent him a message to ask about shipping if I ordered more than 1.  He asked how many I needed, I said 6, but depending on shipping.  He said he had 5 left, send him $9 for all 5 poles and $4 shipping and I could have them......  So I did!! 

Monkeytrucker

We bought 3 painters poles.  Put pins on the end of two and a baseball on the 3rd one. Put the two out on the front and the one with the ball in the center.  We only used it when we went to John's first event.  Found we never spent time at the tent but stored the bike at night under it.  Jim and Deb, if my memory is correct, had a 2 sided room on the side of their camper and parked their bike in it.  We just used  a HF blue tarp and Estella sewed the velcro on it with her sewing machine.  Maybe we need to get it out of storage and use it.  Hope we did not use it to nail on the roof of the shop when the tree fell thru the roof.  Still feel lucky the header broke the fall or it would have hit me harder than in did.

Dusty Boots

When I made mine years back, I removed the grommets from the edge of the 10' x 12' tarp I was sewing the Velcro loop to and then folded over the edge/hem a couple of times just to reinforce the material before sewing the loop on.

I got my white UV resistant tarps from this place in MI.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9127&d=14063

attachment.php?attachmentid=9128&d=14063

15238608166_927003fdd0_c.jpg

15464174046_e891a66ddc_c.jpg

15464174046_e891a66ddc_c.jpg

I then sewed up a bag from 1000 denier Cordura to keep it in when not in use/traveling. 

15238612826_4814b0c756_c.jpg

15075066267_9b906c893f_b.jpg

I use 7' Eureka telescoping poles I bought from here

Halfling

Ordered 2 of the UV 10 X 12 Tarps (White) from here http://www.tarpsplus.com/poly-tarps-single-tarps-white-tarps.html

Ordered 2  5 Yard rolls of 2" black Velcro from Amazon (didn't see any white but I can live with black) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3R9S1K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stopped by Joann's and picked up a spool of Coats Outdoor Thread

I have 2 of the telescoping poles already (came with the camper when I bought it) but I may shop around for a few more.

I plan on setting up a base camp for several days at a time and I'm liking the idea of being able to have two "wings" (one on each side) if I want them to protect from the sun or the rain.

Tim Tool Time Taylor is my hero!

• Haha 1

jobe05

I want to make up a smaller one for the other side of the camper to cover the tongue, cooler and where I store my cover while set up.  I have a piece of material thats about 7'x 6' that im thinking of using.  That would keep the rain off the tongue area but also keep the sun off the cooler and offer some protection for when I open the windows on that side.

• Like 1

brianinpa

Y'all are make us tent campers feel... well, inadequate.

:roflmao:

• Haha 1

jobe05

11 minutes ago, brianinpa said:

Y'all are make us tent campers feel... well, inadequate.

Oh I don't know about that!  Your set up at NASR10 was quite impressive.

• Like 1

jobe05

Mine was sticky back (It was what I had on hand originally purchased off EBay)  I had the same fear, but it wasn't an issue at all.

• Like 1

Halfling

I have all of the material on hand for making two canopies with the exception that I would like to have a few more telescoping poles. I do have enough two piece poles (6 foot 4 inch) that will work fine for the lower corners I think. I have also have two 7 foot 6 inch telescoping poles that should work for the peaks. I will be checking yard sales in this area as they often have the telescoping poles. I'll probably start the construction next month when I set the camper up for its spring cleaning.

jobe05

You should have enough poles.  I use 3 poles, two shorter ones on the corners and one taller one in the center.  Next time your at Home Depot or Lowes, get yourself 2 small spring clamps for each side of the tarp were the velcro attaches.  stops it from "Unzipping".

71rsbHDvFNL._SY355_.jpg.dd13600d1e3f2e7f1814d46431465e87.jpg

Halfling
1 minute ago, jobe05 said:

You should have enough poles.

I'm doing two sides so I'll need 6 poles plus I need two poles for the front door canopy. So 8 total. You are right, I can make do with what I have, just wanting all to be the same telescoping type (OCD).

Excellent advice on the mini-clamps too! I think Dusty had those as well...

jobe05

I wish the front door canopy was actually useful when it rains.....  I just captures water no matter how I angle/slope it.  I just never bother with it unless Im set up for a week or so.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

John  ....  DO NOT use the stick on Velcro!!! It WILL gum up Nancy's sewing machine.

IIRC, I bought a large roll (30'?) of 1 1/2" wide white Velcro for < $10US from eBay

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon:   Jim (JGL351) had a real good idea for his front canopy using 1 shortish tent pole across the width underneath of it. When it started to fill up with rain water, it would tip to one side and dump all the collecting water from the canopy, so you might want to contact him for details

jobe05

Jims coming here in a couple of weeks on his way to Florida, I'll ask him about it.

I was just thinking I could add velcro to the bottom side of the door awning, lengthwise, and have two small pieces of vinyl of some sort that would velcro to that to sheild the side to side rain.......  probably never do it, but an idea.

jobe05
4 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

DO NOT use the stick on Velcro!!! It WILL gum up Nancy's sewing machine.

I didn't have a problem at all with mine.  Put two rows of thread down the velcro and never had an issue.  I thought it might gum up, but it didn't.\, the needle stayed clean.

Dusty Boots
2 hours ago, Halfling said:

Excellent advice on the mini-clamps too! I think Dusty had those as well...

Yes, I have four of them that I use for that purpose as wind can detach the Velcro strips from the tent body! I keep them clamped onto the bag I sewed for the canopy.

Make sure the ones you get have the strongest clamping force of those available

15238612826_4814b0c756_z.jpg

5ab7de5fe4362_PartyDeckClamps.thumb.jpg.465fcd3889ae2399be65e4b3227fdebc.jpg

Pearl Rider

Jobe 

sitting here relaxing with the new To us awning up and then zip whoosh and down it comes on my head and on Ruthies coffee pot.   She said this will be fixed almost spilled a whole pot

Has anyone given thought to adding snaps maybe every 18 inches to help the Velcro hold during wind and storms 

Thanks

Alan and Ruthie