Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Steed

50 years

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Steed

This summer will be my 1/2 century mark of being a licensed motorcycle rider.  Just when the weather was starting to break and the Spring fever had me feeling "Not Too Old".  Ned,(Longboater), you are my inspiration...

Suzuki 250-H small.jpg

• Like 4

NC Aspenwing

40 years for me Terry, Dang I'm getting old.

At least I'm still on the upper side of the dirt!

• Like 1

AZgl1800

by "licensed" I am assuming you mean that you have a Motorcycle endorsement on your DL?

I forgot to do that, just figured that if I keep the rubber side down, I must be doing it right.

no use in doing it now, at 75, who cares?

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 2

I at 46 years licensed .  My first legal street bike was a 1967 Honda 300 dream . Started riding 52 years ago.  Had a couple old Honda 50's and I think one was called a super 90.

Steed
2 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

by "licensed" I am assuming you mean that you have a Motorcycle endorsement on your DL?

I forgot to do that, just figured that if I keep the rubber side down, I must be doing it right.

no use in doing it now, at 75, who cares?

Well John Penn. has an annual motor vehicle inspection system, in the 60/70s it used to be bi-annual.  (a real money maker for the mechanic/garages)  You need a valid registration and proof of insurance.  Hard to get one or the other without an operators license or learners permit.  I should've moved south years ago...

NC Aspenwing

In North Carolina you are required to have a

motorcycle endorsement. Which was started In 1980.

Monkeytrucker

Hobbled into our DL service on crutches with a cast up to my right knee.  Rode there on an SL-175 which was illegal.  It was the bike I broke my leg and ankle on.  Rode with my crutches crossways under my butt.  When the lady decided to give me my test she had me ride around the block and she gave me my motorcycle endorsement.

When health forced me to give up my CDL I decided to drop the motorcycle endorsement.  When we bought the GL-1200 I rode it home.  The boss wanted to go for a ride so we went for a little 30 mile ride and on the way home we hit a place where the gravel had been graded over a rut.  Down we went.  Hurt the knee on the same leg I broke my leg and ankle on.  After a couple days of recuperation I went to the Honda dealer, rented a 200 cc bike.  They took it to the DL station just across the street, I was using a cane, took the test and almost failed.  The lady who had me riding their test course told me to accelerate hard in a straight line and when I got to a line stop hard under control.  So I accelerated hard with the front wheel not on the ground then set it down hard to a stop.  "I should fail you because pulling a wheelie is not allowed and instant fail" but she let me do it again without the wheelie simply because she did not tell me not to wheelie.  Passed the test and have not looked back.  44 years from my first endorsement.  Hope for a few more years to go.

5aa716fb9357a_motorcyclejump.jpg.cf605953293816b7c5ff7b2cbb0576a2.jpg

AZgl1800
2 hours ago, Steed said:

Well John Penn. has an annual motor vehicle inspection system, in the 60/70s it used to be bi-annual.  (a real money maker for the mechanic/garages)  You need a valid registration and proof of insurance.  Hard to get one or the other without an operators license or learners permit.  I should've moved south years ago...

guess I lived in backward states all my life :)

OkieLand, Texas, NM, AridZona, and Utah...

I guess they all offer the m/c endorsement, I just never bothered, and my insurance agents have never asked.

I have had a "safety inspection" a few times over the last ten years, not one LEO mentioned the subject.

Bluthundr31

My (our) first bike was a Honda 90cc (CB model) that I had to "share" with my twin brother, back in '70.  Great part was we always had someone to "push" start that sucker, cuz the "kick-starter" was a SOB for us skinny-azzed young kids.  Those were the GOOD DAYS fer sure   Both the bike and my brother are gone now, ,RIP Danny

Vito
(edited)

Although I have been licensed to drive for over 50 years, my motorcycle license is only 35 years old, and I am turning 75 shortly. I was a bit late getting into two wheels, although I had always wanted to. Growing up, and even as a teenager I did not know a single person, relative or friend, that rode a motorcycle, and my family had a very dim view of anyone who did. But it was a secret desire I had since my teens. After marriage I gave in (too easily) to a young wife that was terrified of the thought, and then came babies and the dream was delayed again. At 40 it suddenly hit me that I had let half my life pass without doing what I had wanted to do, so I went out and bought a used small bike, signed up for the MSF basic class and have not looked back since. My role model is an old Italian man that I watched a video about recently. At 91 he rides every day, and his bike is a Haybusa. I know that my Goldwing will become just too heavy to handle at some point, so maybe it will be made into a trike, or I might downsize to a smaller bike, but I hope that I can keep riding until I hit 90 or so. 

Edited by Vito
Typo

AZgl1800

Absolutely!

you can't let someone else live your life, if you do, you will be miserable.

My daughter would "prefer" that I didn't ride, but, she says "if I can't enjoy my retirement, what is the purpose of living?"

so, I go out when the wx is nice and ride a bit...

this was from last Wednesday, enjoyed meeting friends for lunch, a measly 187 miles from home...

pCcBUtu.png

AZgl1800

On the way back, Redbud ( Jim ) and I stopped at Speedy's 66 in Kansas, OK to let my hip relax...

Got a charley horse and it was just easier to stop and rest for a while.

We had a nice visit, that lasted right at 90 minutes, which can be proved my ole SPOT, he kept sniffing around the store and left his droppings everywhere LOL....

SPOT checks in every 10 minutes if it can find a satellite.

ole SPOT left 8 drips of something on their property.... :Face-Raspberry:

ZogJ1VD.png

If you note how far apart those geo tags are, it is easy to see that if I had pressed the RED 911 button, the 1st responders would have no trouble locating their patient.

.typical accuracy of a geo tag is something like 6-9 meters for any one given location.

That is for civilian GPS units, the military boys can get down to Centimeters.

• Like 1

Offcenter

50 years this summer for me too.  Got my first bike, a Honda 90, in the summer of '68.

My current GL-1500 is bike number 14.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

First rode a motorcycle circa 1954.  Worked on a customers dirt bike in early 70s in our implement dealership, took it out back and proceeded to break my leg and ankle when the brake locked up when I was trying to keep from hitting a fence.  Bought a bike very soon after figuring I had paid my dues already.  Went thru 2 dirtbikes, 2 CB 750s then went thru several years of not riding then "The Bride" wanted to get a Gold Wing and now we are on #2.  Hoping to keep riding but both of us are having health & balance issues.  Figure we will keep trying to give old age a one finger gesture.

Now if it would just stop snowing, get warm and stay warm, maybe we can ride and go camping.

Hey Vito, where would you find any Italians around your home town.  Back in the 60s when we lived there the Italians, Swedes and Germans made up most of the population.

BigBob

This summer it's 50 years riding for me.  46 years as a licenced rider.  I had to get a cycle licence while in the army if I wanted to get on post.

• Like 2

Steed
(edited)
35 minutes ago, BigBob said:

This summer it's 50 years riding for me.  46 years as a licenced rider.  I had to get a cycle licence while in the army if I wanted to get on post.

Same requirement in 1970.  The Air Force also required on base training if you worked on, and wanted to ride drive near the flight-line.

Edited by Steed
  • Like 2

wlkjr

Bought my first bike in 1973, a CL350 Honda. So it's 45 years for me, although I've only ridden probably 5000 miles the last 20 years.

wlkjr
1 minute ago, wlkjr said:

Bought my first bike in 1973, a CL350 Honda. So it's 45 years for me, although I've only ridden probably 5000 miles the last 20 years. I kinda lost interest when my riding buddy got sick and had to quit.