Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

GWRRA ?

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I'm considering giving them a try, any opinions?  I figure for a year, what do I have to loose.  There's a chapter here in Rigby, and I'm told there may be another in Shelly.

jobe05

Short answer:  Do it!

Long answer:  Each branch, based on some experience and many threads that I have read over the years, say it depends on the leaders of the branch you join.  I was invited to visit one of the local branches here years ago, and drove by the meeting place several times as what was there mostly was Harley's.  Which was comon for them.  I read a review from one lady who asked if they could do a ride at her husbands funeral because he was a goldwinger, and they said yes, but showed up on their Harley's.....  They never go for rides (probably because they ride Harley's) and just meet and drink coffee.....  A buddy of is a member in NY and he has a great time.  They have rides all the time, training and they try to plan an annual trip, last year they went to Maine.  He post pictures all the time of the things they do, last week they had a Chili dinner for the community and gave the proceeds to a local group in need.

SO I would go before you lay out the cash and see which branch is a better fit for you based on your expectations.

Halfling

When I first started riding in 2010 I immediately joined. The information was good and I went to a few gatherings (meetings) here in Murfreesboro. Good people but very much into pins, buttons, awards, etc, etc and also they'd meet on a Saturday morning for a couple hours and then ride to another area for their meeting with a stop at Dairy Queen. I didn't care for any of that (especially sitting in meetings for hours) so I let my membership lapse and joined several great forums (this one included). HOWEVER, that being said, I have found that there are no forum members within close proximity to me here in Middle TN so I JUST this week joined GWRRA again in the hopes I can make a few local friends to hang out and ride with. You'll get plenty of opinions on this and I have now been on both sides of the opinion poll. The real answer is to give it a try and see what you think for yourself!

AZgl1800

Yes,

depends on the local leadership and as to how well they "tow the line" on some of the Scottsdale weird ideas, such as "there will be No Prayers at the meetings"...

My good close friends just 4 miles from me, are both pastors, and they were the local GWRRA president ( leader? ) for a good long while.

Had nice rides, etc.... but at their food gatherings, they would offer up a prayer if no one chose to do it....

the weirdos at Scottsdale sent down word that prayers are forbidden and that shall desist and stop doing that.

My friends told them to put that idea where the sun don't shine and left them in the dust to never be seen again.

That is GWRRA's loss as their membership numbers reflected immediately.

I would definitely attend each local area group to see how things are handled, and if you enjoy one of them, give it a go.

After all, what you want to do, is to meet up with like minded people, not the ideas of someone in Arizona.

Mountain Rider

Thanks for your responses so far.  This is why I ask these questions, and here's some things I take away from your responses.  The pins, buttons, and badges thing is cool to a point.  For me to put tokens from a ride or event with a group and put them on display in a shadowbox would be neat, but to wear them constantly equates to (pardon my french) pecker measuring.  As you've all said, it depends on the leadership, but I've seen this before and it became a source of ridicule.  You know the deal, "how come you didn't attend this event, I've been to 20 of those rides, but I see you've only been on 2, why didn't you go to that event?".  It's a lot like the trip the wife and I made to West Yellowstone last year.  We got new chaps and were wearing them, went in a store that carries riding accessories, and from across the store we hear, "nice new chaps!".  Of course everyone in the shop had to look at the new folks.  So not always a fan.

You refer to meetings, I enjoy meetings if we're going to have a cup of coffee, discuss a new ride, discuss a community event, or a group  event.  I don't enjoy meetings when they last for hours, I don't enjoy meetings when someone continues to push an agenda that either just doesn't make sense or goes contrary to what I'm comfortable with.  A good example is the prayer, I have no problem with a prayer, I do however have a problem when someone tries to push their specific religious beliefs or doctrine on me.  I have actually been told I'm going to HE double hockey stick because I would not attend a particular church.  Not a fan of being a member just to push someones political agenda either.

I do enjoy the camaraderie, but again it depends on those comrades.  I'm not into seeing how many beers I can drink during a ride, so bar runs don't work for me.  That's for back at the camp ground sitting around the fire and swapping stories.  Now to ride somewhere for lunch  or a square ice cream with like minded friends, and see the scenery and vistas together, taking under privileged kids for a ride, or helping the community, now that's what it should be about.

I'll do as you all have said, do some due diligence and check out the local chapters and see how well I'd fit.  If it just won't work, maybe I'll start a club on here and try and round up a few locals of my own.  It's hard to share something great when you're the only one to see it.  Thanks again.   

• Like 1

Rampal1955

There are some great advantages to GWRRA even if you never attend a meeting. First and foremost The Gold Book, it has members listed from all over that will come to your aid (travel info, trailer, tools, camping (i have had some camp on my property), etc. There is also rescue plus that for around a $100.00 bucks everyone in your household can use the 100 mile free towing for cars, trucks, motorcycles with trailers. Rvs' are extra cost insurance. I have been told that AAA will charge you extra for the trailer you tow on motorcycle (I don't know this for a fact). Also there are some discounts from hotels and etc. I am a member but no longer belong to a chapter. Hope this helps.. check out the web site first.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

We passed on 2 different groups.  Regimented rides and long meetings just do not make us interested.   We are just spur of the moment riders.  Come to a T in the road and flip a coin is our style.

• Like 1

Jluvs2dive

I have been told by a number of people that there are GWRRA groups that are great and spend a lot of time riding.  I didn't find that to be the case in my area.  They only rode to meetings and other peoples meetings and occasionally for events.  I stuck with them for a few years and eventually met my regular riding buddy because of them but he didn't stay for the same reasons I didn't.  There were some mice people in the group but I joined to find people to ride with not to go to meetings with.  I tried over the few years I was with them to get people riding but failed.  Hopefully you find a group that is what you are looking for! 

• Like 1

Mysticfour

I joined over the fall, I have the towing with them and had to use it a couple months ago, better than towing I had with state farm and far less hassle.  I have yet to contact the local chapter myself. Just finally got my good book, love the info

Vito

I think it is worthwhile to check out your local chapter. I'm pretty new to Goldwings, just coming up to the two year mark. When I bought the bike I joined the local chapter of GWRRA and even though I am in mid 70's I felt like one of the younger members. They do make a big deal out of meetings, and regional get togethers, etc. as well as getting together at a local restaurant just for socializing. I could easily do without all of that. But there are also group rides during the riding season, and some of those leading these rides know the back roads in this part of the nation much better than I do, and I have really enjoyed those rides. Usually we have anywhere from 6 to 12 bikes, including a couple of trikes, and about half the bikes have passengers as well. We usually have a route of about 125 to 150 miles and then a nice lunch stop, and then the same mileage back to our starting point. As I said above, we have ridden on some great roads that I never knew existed. That alone has made it worthwhile to be a part of this organization. But I have yet to attend a Wing Ding which is a big thing for most of the members of my chapter. 

Road Runner

OK - here are my thoughts. I first joined GWRRA in 1985. Was an Area Rep (more like a president of a club) in 1987 until 1990, we had a very good Chapter and was attended very well too. I enjoyed the group - led many rides as I had experience with a CLUB before hand. Made friends all over the country and I still see many of them on the road and at events and rallies. It was a great experience for me. I was a Chapter Director (more like a president of a club with a different title) in 2010 for a couple years until many upper echelon changes made it more difficult for me to continue.

I am still a life member but do not attend due to the fact that our chapter folded a short time after we stepped down as a Chapter Director. There are things I still love about GWRRA - but it is in the people (Friends) that we have met over the years. Not so much enthralled with their meetings (they want to call them "gatherings" now). Personally, I would not change my opinion of the association but so glad I did what I did, when I did it. People make the organization and if you are with the right people in any group that gives you pleasure, you will be happy. It all depends what your input is to make something like GWRRA or this Forum great and fun.

When I retired in 2001, I wanted to ride into the sunset with friends while I could still ride, so I started the local group "Retired and Riding." Most of those riders who joined my group to ride were GWRRA members. Today, we have weekly rides on Tuesday and Thursday weather permitting. Many of those riders do not belong to GWRRA any longer and they would rather meet to ride and catch a lunch somewhere along the way. 

Like I said before, I am a Life Member of GWRRA and if I want to I can go anywhere and feel welcome at any chapter anywhere in the world. Wife and I have ridden and been to all 49 states (can't get to Hawaii until the bridge is finished) and many Canadian Provinces. 

Yes Canada - Have attended GWRRA events and chapter functions in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, then in the USA while in the north country, Anchorage, Alaska, Soldotna, Alaska and many other things in the USA! Love meeting and seeing other riders from everywhere. Yeah, personally I love GWRRA and the benefits that you can receive from being a member - however, at this time in my life, I do not feel that I need all the structure in the meetings (whoops - "gatherings") but I still enjoy the friends who are much younger and are active members of the association. 

If I had the opportunity to do it all over again - I would not hesitate. The health problems I have restrict me from doing long distance riding with GWRRA chapters and so forth.

That is my story and I am sticking to it...!    :happy:

• Like 2

AZgl1800

I wish I could be as positive, but my personal experience when I lived in Mesa, Arizona only 12 miles from their headquarters in Scottsdale, was very sour.... went to two meetings riding my 1984 and was treated like dirt, no, even worse than that, I was not even recognized as being there at all.

then I moved here to Oologah, OK where my good friends, Jim and Cyndi James were the Chapter leader/president/whatever for almost 10 years.... then along came that idiot from Scottsdale and he said, " I told you, you cannot hold prayers at our meetings! "

Jim and Cyndi are both preachers of an independent church..... all of the folks in their chapter enjoyed riding with them, they used to cover  hundreds of miles and go on 2 and 3 day trips with their group

but, mister arsejerk ruined all of that.   Jim told him where the sun could shine, and never, ever, went back to a meeting again. he just left them in the dirt where they belong.  Jim's chapter fell apart, dissolved, they are pissed at Scottsdale for ruining a good thing....  Jim still has good friends from the group, and they still do their long rides, but GWRRA is not with them, none of them

RogueWing936

Were members but we have NO chapter affiliation, the closest chapter is 40 miles in to Houston Traffic.. Nope not gonna do that!! We attend chapter Rallies and District Rallies where the rides are good, we will be at the OK rally in September, looking forward to that.. 

Mountain Rider

Thanks everyone for your input, after much butt scratching I went ahead and took a chance and joined.  It's only a one year membership for now, but it's a test to see how much further we may want to go.  I contacted the local Chapter President last night and he e-mailed me some information this morning.  It looks like these folks are serious riders and only token meeters.  Their ride schedule looks awesome, with some rides I never even considered.  Still not sure about all the patches and stickers (especially the stickers, not a fan of covering my bike with removable dots).  I guess we'll see. :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

• Like 1

RogueWing936

If you have a good Chapter (that rides) its fun.. Were going to OK District meet in Sept, should be a good time.. 

Mountain Rider

We're crossing our fingers. I'm going to a breakfast meeting Saturday, followed by a ride to Grand Targee ski area. Not a long trip, but they're talking about riding the lift to the top of the mountain for some pictures. I may try to make the Montana district meet, but we're kinda in the prep stage for our trip to Washington, so we've got to watch our budget. 

Ghost Rider 2

I don't fit the mold.  LOL 

Grey Fox 1954

I was a member of GWRRA for several years and just got tired of the meetings and not riding.  I haven't retired yet, but will soon.  I like the title of retired and riding.  Since I'm still working, I have plenty of meetings to go to, so most of my rides are spur of the moment unless it's a long trip.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
5 hours ago, Grey Fox 1954 said:

I was a member of GWRRA for several years and just got tired of the meetings and not riding.  I haven't retired yet, but will soon.  I like the title of retired and riding.  Since I'm still working, I have plenty of meetings to go to, so most of my rides are spur of the moment unless it's a long trip.

I think the best rides are the spur of the moment rides.  Just mount up and go somewhere that you did not know you were going there.

• Like 1

Mountain Rider
(edited)

We went on a dinner ride yesterday.  Short, not that far from home, but it was good.  We went to Big Judd's in Ashton.  No meeting, just a lot of good food and good conversation.  One member and I were actually stationed in Alaska at the same time, him at Elmendorf AFB, me at Ft. Richardson, so we kinda stole the conversation at our table.  Leslie talked with a lady who rode up on her 1500 trike.  She was a tiny little gal, riding that huge trike, and doing it well.  Les commented that she might consider doing that, I told her I knew where there were a couple nice trikes setting for sale right now.  Yeah, I got the "LOOK".  Bottom line, a good time was had by all.  

Gary, you're right though.  Some of the best rides are the ones where you just point her nose in a direction and see where it takes you.  :thumbs-up: 

Edited by Mountain Rider

terryj

Dave, that's the way Teresa and I ride, we just follow the front tire down the hiway. 

• Like 1

jlburnnn

I joined GWRRA again in June after I got back from Utah. I was a member a couple years ago and it didn't fit for me. In the summer I work a lot of Saturday's and they do there rides mostly on Sat. I like Wing World and I wanted the insurance, towing. I used the towing last month and it worked out good was worth the whole membership for the one tow. So I'm going to get the better package on towing for 100 miles and they will tow anything I drive. It's a great deal, the tow truck driver went to a local Wallmart and purchased tie down straps for his flatbed. Because he knew he would need them for the bike. I'm also going to check out another group about 50 miles away that seem to have a lot of ride's and group get together s, I think the other group I belonged to before have disbanded because there web page is down and no active. The new group seems to be doing well so I will give them a try. I have never tried using the Gold Book but I have one if I find a need. One more thing is that tow was paid for by GWRRA and I paid nothing no out of pocket nothing just called them and they sent the truck. Pretty good deal for $50. 

dwsonar

Join the PGR. You'll meet good people to ride with, and be doing something worthwhile. I've yet to meet a PGR member I don"t like and respect.

Vito

PGR?

Ghost Rider 2

Patriot Guard Riders.