Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Halfling

Planning Has Begun For Summer 2018 Trip

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

DougW

I was thinking to go into Colorado and hitting the mountains around Greely, going through Rocky Mountain National Park then south to Salida, over monarch pass to Montrose then south to Durango.  From there head toward the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Escalante/Grand Staircase, Canyonlands, Arches then head north to Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, then head east for IL.

That would put you close to Estes Park, Pike's peak, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado National Monument, Telluride, Mesa Verde, The 4 Corners, and Monument Valley.  If you do the south rim at Grand Canyon you can then go east then north to page and cross the river or go west from Grand Canyon and cross the river at Boulder and take a stop at the dam there, then up through Las Vegas then back over to Zion.  If you go to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon you will already have crossed the River at Page, then just head over to Zion from there.

I have a good Sam membership and use their online trip planner, it allows you to show attractions based on categories along you proposed route to help you decide on your side trips.  Since it is online I can't do much with it where I am now as this place has typical RV park Wi-Fi which means it is near useless.

• Like 1

Halfling

Update: I've taken a long hard look at the comments and suggestions submitted so far and put something together in a spreadsheet to get a better "feel" for the flow of the trip. This is just "roughed in" and anything can be changed at this point. As you can see I think the top part of our trip fits pretty good, I changed the route out a bit to stop at Larry and Belinda's in Knobel and a quick overnight in Eureka Springs. Basically 5 days of riding to get us out to "new" territory then we slow down and factor in sight seeing days. I think tentatively this looks good HOWEVER my biggest concern right now is what we do on and around the 4th of July. I do not want to rely on a first come first serve campground and would prefer to have a confirmed reservation somewhere but we also need to be on our way back east to arrive at NASR 11 (may have to arrive as late as Wednesday the 11th. SO, if anyone has any suggestions about the part below the red line I would really appreciate it!

Of course comments are welcome on the entire trip as well!

Note: anything over a 300 mile day is frowned upon!

Click to enlarge...

2018-02-25_10-37-56.jpg

2018-02-25_10-38-25.jpg

DougW

If it were me I would reduce the days at glacier and increase the days at Yellowstone unless you are planning on doing some hikes at Glacier.

Also it look like it is about 3 hours ride from Cromwell Dixon campground, Helena MT, up to Glacier so you might want to find someplace closer to the park entrance so you can maximize your time in the park.

• Like 1

Halfling
59 minutes ago, DougW said:

If it were me I would reduce the days at glacier and increase the days at Yellowstone unless you are planning on doing some hikes at Glacier.

I get your point however we have been through Yellowstone before (twice for me) and while we did miss some things we did manage to see a lot of it already. That's kinda why I reduced the time spent there over what I had originally had. I also agree with reducing the time in Glacier however we have never been so I'm not sure yet what there is or isn't there for us to see/do. This is just tentative and your comments are important to me in figuring out what will be best for us so keep them coming!!! I fully expect to hear more from you guys/gals before we lock things down a bit.

Mountain Rider

When you leave Rex Hale, a nice ride would be to Three Forks, Mt.  It's not quite the 250 mile limit on your spread sheet, coming in at about 270 miles.  The Three Forks Camp ground is a beautiful place with grassy camp sites, plenty of trees, and a few cool places to see near by.  One of our favorite places are the Lewis and Clark Caverns.  If you can do the walk, the tour through the caverns is beautiful. 

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Just a quick glance at your itinerary, but I saw that The Wave is on your list.

You are aware you have to apply for a permit by lottery to see it, right???  -  https://www.thewave.info/CoyoteButtesNorthCode/Permits.html

Edited by Dusty Boots
  • Like 1

Dusty Boots

Okay, had a little more time to go through your rough itinerary;

Here's how I would tackle the stretch from Rio Bravo campground over to the Grand Canyon, seeing as there are very few camping opportunities between the 2 areas.

I would ride over to the Navajo National Monument, (free camping and quite a bit to see there) and then do a day trip into the GC and back. The GC is a zoo and would be tough to find a campsite without reservations!! Also, NNM is closer to Red Canyon Campground (than anything in GCNP), which being a very popular and small campground, the earlier you arrive the more chance of getting a campsite!!  -  https://goo.gl/maps/BeihT5kB2eC2  (in case RCCG is full, there are a couple of alternative campgrounds relatively nearby)

Then when you leave RCCG, instead of camping at Natural Arches NM, I would push on to Devils Canyon Campground, just north of Blanding. Then head over to Amphitheater Campground, (which is also a small and very popular campground!!).  following this route up through to Telluride and on to Ouray   -  https://goo.gl/maps/sQyfjYx6rF92

Yes, the mileage from RCCG to DCCG is a little over your set max, but will pay off with an earlier arrival in Ouray. If that is too much, then skip the side trip into NBNM.

If Amphitheater CG is full (or no suitable campsites large enough to accommodate the camper) then your next best bet is up at Ridgway State Park - https://goo.gl/maps/TZKBcoqQutx

Then take a day to ride the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango and back. Also worth it to ride up to the Colorado National Monument to ride the Rimrock Drive and back, along with a visit to check out The Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

Don't forget to take your bathing suits so you can relax in a soak in the nearby hot springs!

Also, those campgrounds along the Peak to Peak Highway, leading up to Estes Park are also very popular and fill up fast, so keep that in mind!!!

The idea with a 2 night camping stop in Lander, WY was so you could do a day trip up to see Jackson and ride the Teton Park Rd from Moose on up and back as a day trip. It's a rather boring and slow ride north of Jackson Lake until you enter the south end of Yellowstone. Quicker to get to Rex hale the other way and more assured of getting a campsite there.

Definitely  plan on spending a full day at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody!! Excellent and very interesting stop!!!

From there, I would head to Cromwell Dixon campground for 1 night, going through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone and following  287 up  -  http://mapq.st/2oyPd1Y

Head up into Glacier for 2 nights, 3 at most if the GTTSR is open

From there I would follow this route down to Skidway Campground and on to Itch Kep Pe Park in Columbus, as there should be no issues with it being the July 4th weekend at either campground, especially Skidway, but don't dawdle to  Itch Kep Pe Park, either as the best spots will be gone by later afternoon.

When you leave Itch Ke Pe Park, head down 78 to  Red Lodge and follow 212 over the Beartooth Pass and pick up Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (296) to 120 and into Cody before heading over to Lovell Camper Park, in Lovell.

IMPORTANT TIP!!  -  when riding between Cody and Lovell, make sure you obey the 30 mph speed limit through the little town of  Byron, as there is always a patrol car parked along the street strictly enforcing that 30 mph speed limit!!  He can be in a pick up, or (usually) in a patrol car and parked behind another veghicle. The 1st time through there, we almost got nailed.  I saw this pick up parked along the curb under a large shade tree and something struck me about that not being quite right to my 'spider senses'. We started slowing down when I spotted that, when an arm came out of the driver's side window of the parked truck waving us to slow down, and have since learned to keep it down to 30 mph going through there, as he's always out there. He'll wave to you in appreciation when you do and you go past him!  ;)

Then follow this route to your destination at Campshore Campgrounds near Greenfield, IN  -  https://goo.gl/maps/kAWp7jB2v9T2

Staying at Riverside Park in Douglas, WY, then St Francis City Park, Mankato City ParkThomas Hill Reservoir, south of Macon, MO and finally Sunset Park by Linton, IN

Edited by Dusty Boots
  • Love 1

Halfling

It's going to take me awhile to digest/dissect all this wonderful information!!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

• Haha 2

Monkeytrucker
On 2/26/2018 at 2:21 PM, Halfling said:

It's going to take me awhile to digest/dissect all this wonderful information!!! :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

You will never get lost as long as you follow the graffiti that says "Dusty Boots was here."  

His expertise is priceless.  You had better rob a  bank if you are going to visit all of those places as Nancy will fill the trunk with tee shirts.

rotate riccardo tisci GIF by fashgif 

Dusty Boots

8551399163_6e1812031d_b.jpg

Monkeytrucker

Yeppie, a sign that Dusty was here.

Hope you found enough pieces to get that 

Victory back together.  

signs fail GIF by Cheezburger

Halfling

OK folks, I've spent some time (but not yet enough) looking over everyone's recommendations so far and it is apparent that there is something I really need to point out. If this were just me I am A-OK with "roughing it", but it's not just me. If we are doing a single overnight along the route from point A to point B, then we can live with vaulted toilets, no electric and no showers, HOWEVER, if we are staying at any area for more than one night then the needs change. We'll need electric, flush toilets and showers. For example, my original plan was to stay at the Amphitheater Campground for 3 nights but now I see that they do not have electric nor do they have showers. I'll need to find something else in that area and adjust accordingly. I hope that makes sense!

Dusty Boots

Pay showers (and a coin laundry) can be had by Mather Campground in Grand Canyon NP, when you stay at Navajo NM. (most likel;y too late to reserve a campsite at Mather CG in GCNP - the only cg with showers)

Same goes for Rex Hale, as showers for a fee are available in Yellowstone NP, at Fishing Bridge RV park

As for Amphitheater CG, I guess you missed the part about the Hot Springs in town, where they would have showers as well.

Not sure why you would need electric, if you can charge up electronics as you ride (?) or charge up the trailer's battery pack at sites that do have electric en route.

There is always the option of making/bringing your own shower/shower house with you.

• Haha 1

Halfling
39 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

Not sure why you would need electric, if you can charge up electronics as you ride (?) or charge up the trailer's battery pack at sites that do have electric en route.

Just added it to my "to do" list! The trailer is wired for it, just need to get the new trike wired up to handle it.

41 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

As for Amphitheater CG, I guess you missed the part about the Hot Springs in town, where they would have showers as well.

Yep, missed that part totally! Will give it another look.

Halfling
On 2/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, Dusty Boots said:

Just a quick glance at your itinerary, but I saw that The Wave is on your list.

You are aware you have to apply for a permit by lottery to see it, right??? 

The Wave is no longer in the list! I'll buy a postcard!

• Haha 1

Mountain Rider

How're the plans coming, John?  I know some of the places you spoke of are reasonably close to me, so I spoke with the wife, and the boss (not the same) and may be able to hook up with you as you pass through. Maybe even fix you up with some Huckleberry jam for your trip. 😋

Halfling
2 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

How're the plans coming, John?  I know some of the places you spoke of are reasonably close to me, so I spoke with the wife, and the boss (not the same) and may be able to hook up with you as you pass through. Maybe even fix you up with some Huckleberry jam for your trip. 😋

Thanks for asking Dave! Plans have kinda stalled at the moment, that doesn't mean we're not going, what it means is that I haven't taken the time to get into all of the specifics yet. In Laws left this Tuesday, got a big order of planters done and still have taxes to finalize. Maybe then I can feel comfortable enough to get back into the planning. We're both (Nancy & I) having some anxiety about being apart from our precious Grand Daughter for 7 weeks which will be months 11 and 12 for her, we will miss so much of her development that it makes us sad. We'll be home just in time for her first birthday on July 15th though!

We would love to meet up with you at some point on our trip and Huckleberry Jam sounds great! I'll post up here some of the highlights probably on the next week or two!

Mountain Rider

Awesome, looking forward to it. :59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

Halfling

Looks like this trip is in jeopardy...Obamacare Taxes cut me off at the knees...it's not that I didn't expect some pain, I just didn't even come close to expecting what I got...still trying to figure out how to survive.

jobe05

We have gotten notices in past years that we have over paid.  Not by much, just under $300 each year.  We get the notices but no way to get the money back as it shows up no where.  The first year I just figured they would put it toward our next years premiums, but that never happened........  No they owe me just under $600 and no way to collect it that I can see so far....

AZgl1800

so far, the Medicare tithe has not changed for me from last year.

last year, it went up a small amount compared to the year before.

I decided to fudge and set aside 25% of my SS check to go to the state income tax thieves... that worked out, I got a smallish refund but my bank account never felt it.

Monkeytrucker
5 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

so far, the Medicare tithe has not changed for me from last year.

last year, it went up a small amount compared to the year before.

I decided to fudge and set aside 25% of my SS check to go to the state income tax thieves... that worked out, I got a smallish refund but my bank account never felt it.

My SS income went up $3 but my Medicare insurance went up $2 so I get $1 more a month than last year.  The Great State of Disrepair (IL) income tax always costs us simply because we do not have any withdrawal.  Big advantage for us is that IL has a homestead exemption for property tax.  Without that we would be paying a fair sum.  We itemize, itemize, use depreciation schedules, and enterprise the little farm income Estella and her sister gets.  We even log how many miles we drive to look at the crop that is planted.  We even do soil samples and check the ph to make sure we are not going to be billed for lime that is not needed.  We used to have a old pickup that was used for just that.  No more, I do not think Frankentruck would pass an IRS inspection for that.

Years ago we used to deduct a certain amount for the security (farm dog), when The Bride was raising show dogs we could take deductions for feed, vet, and even photography.  All were legal deductions.  We had a great tax accountant who did my uncles taxes and by golly he needed a great tax man.  He was also a customer of mine so we scratched each others backs.  His Jr. CPA is in the federal penitentiary, not for using illegal tax advise, but for embezzling  $2,000,000+ from the estate trust of a local guy who looked like he did not have a penny in the world.  He died, his wife was in a nursing home and this CPA thought it was easy picking simply because there were no dependents.  This CPA bought tons of stuff that were collectibles.  The Feds had a huge sale of the stuff and it went cheap.  One item did bring some serious bidders, it was a certified piece of Abraham Lincoln's hair.  The buyer put out a bunch of Abraham's pictures for that.

Our last tax accountant got $200 a year and we felt he was worth it.  Now The Bride does it by simply following instructions and rechecking several times that all of the forms required are documented.  As I said, itemize, itemize, there are legal deductions in the forms and the internet is a trove of information about legal deductions.  Of course you want to double check any of those deductions being legal.  My guess is that some way travels using a Gold Wing could be worked as an entertainment expense.  Farmers take nice vacations and as long as they are visiting farming operations at their vacation destinations they can deduct the expense of their trip.  Maybe if a person rode to some far away place to look at a business opportunity it could be deductible?  Just is probably in the fine print in some tax book.

Edited by jobe05
Removed political banter

AZgl1800

I am not able to deduct for anything, no house mortgage, medical expense must exceed $6,000 or you get nada from that.

the only thing I can use is "one dependent" as my daughter does not have a "job",

jobe05

We have had Timmy as a deduction till this year when his schooling wasn't as many credits as required and we pay him to much to say he's a dependent.

We owed, which is to be expected in our situation but we opened and IRA which offset that by a lot. 

It still stings more however when you have to pay your accountant $1800 to tell you you owe $4500........  I wonder if I get a refund if he'd pay me?

Monkeytrucker

The cost of your accountant is a deduction, well it used to be.  This new tax cut thing is cutting on one hand and hammering on the other hand by doing away with deductions.  AND no tax accountant does, can or will know what is included in the bill.  I had a nice IRA until the Goldman Sachs and other bank failures made it disappear, along with many others retirements, in the great depression of 2008.  Now they are doing away with the requirements that banks have to have money on reserve to cover their failure due to bad loans.  Setting up another bank bailout we tax payers will get hammered twice. Our savings goes away and we have to pay to bail out the very institutions that lost our retirement funds.

Hey, make Timmy a contract worker.  Then that makes him a business expense you can deduct.  He would be responsible for paying taxes on his own and as a business he might pay less under the new tax cut for businesses law.  When you take your trip make sure you visit similar to your businesses on the way.  That makes it a business trip.  Hey Farmers do it.