Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Planning Has Begun For Summer 2018 Trip

51 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Looks like we may actually get another epic trip in this summer! The starting plan or base plan if you will (the base we will start from anyway) will be to leave Murfreesboro TN sometime in late May or early June (probably start out on May 27th) and heading in a westerly direction. We will complete a large but irregular clockwise circle ending up in Indiana for NASR 11 on July 8th or 9th before heading home for my Grand Daughter's 1st birthday on July 15. I am in hopes to spend about 6 weeks on the road!

Our plan for this trip will be to ride to a given area, camp and stay several days touring the area using that camp site as a base camp and then move on to the next stop and repeat. We will be on the trike pulling the Aspen Camper.

Inputs, route & camping suggestions are STRONGLY encouraged!!!

Not sure that we'll get as far west as California, Oregon & Washington

Some of the things on our list at this point are:

National Parks as much as possible

Colorado Mountains (Never been)

Yellowstone (Went through in 2011 but didn't smell the roses)

Grand Tetons (Went through in 2011 but didn't smell the roses)

Zion (Never been)

Glacier (Never been)

Some of the things we will bypass are (been there, done that, probably twice): Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, Badlands ...

P.S. If there's anyone that wants to join in on the whole trip or a leg of it, you'd be welcome!

Parman

Order your annual National Parks Pass on line. Its good for 12 months from time of issue. It took me about 2 weeks to get mine.

If you going to Utah you also have Bryce Canyon and Arches NP to visit. We camped just outside Zion NP.

In my opinion Glacier NP is a must see. I plan to go back one of these days.

Rocky Mountain NP is nice. I enjoyed going there. Million Dollar Hwy is a nice ride while in Colorado.

Yellowstone you also have Bear Tooth Pass and Chief Joseph Hwy that are must rides. Lolo pass is a fantastic route to ride.

Once you  figure out where you actually plan to travel I can give you more suggestions and some routes.

• Like 1

Halfling
1 minute ago, Parman said:

Order your annual National Parks Pass on line. Its good for 12 months from time of issue. It took me about 2 weeks to get mine.

Got my Seniors Lifetime Pass last year before the prices went up, we're all set in that regard!

• Thanks 1

winger77

Everything Parman says John!!!! 

Utah is definitely a must do on the bike. It was made for motorcycling IMO. 

Colorado would be the first part of the trip, taking in “The million dollar highway”. It gives you a good look at the Rockies to start. Then sometime, swing back down for Southern Utah and meander north again. 

Just too many routes to throw out ya right now,, but I think your timeline should handle it well enough. Your going to love that trip.

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

The lifetime senior pass is one of the few things about getting old.  We tried to get ours at some national parks in the area but none of them could sell them.  So when we made our trip out west in 15 our first national park was Devils Tower.  We were embarrassed at holding up the line getting in while they issued us our card and said so to the lady at the window.  She laughed and said it was great as it was shift change and she did her required thing as Estella was digging her DL out of the trunk.  The next shift finished our card.  We went in and out of Yellowstone 3 times and that was a HUGE savings.

The Grand Tetons are and were probably the most like part of our 26 day trip.  When we were exiting Yellowstone we stopped to fuel up at the gas station there before you turn south at west thumb.  The guy told us when we turned south to immediately turn right.  The official tourist road went straight.  The road he put us on took us closer to the Tetons.  It came back in north of Jackson.  We stayed the night in a camp ground in the open range east of the Jackson airport.  We had Buffalo walk thru the camp that night.  It was a state camp ground where much of the sights were taken up by long term campers.  

Definitely ride Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph.  Be ready for Bear Tooth to be closed.  We were there in the first few days of August and 2 days later it closed due to snow and Ice.  We went into Yellowstone at 34 degrees and just a few days later in Boise, ID,  it was 104 and we wore the same gear.

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

John  ....  don't forget with it being still fairly early in the season for high mountain passes out West, it will be cool/cold in the higher elevations and some of the higher elevation campgrounds will/could be closed/still have snow in them!

Glacier NP's Going-To-The-Sun road is usually still closed anywhere from mid June (earliest opening) until mid July (latest opening) due to them still trying to clear the snow. All depends on the winter and how much snowpack there is in late spring. Winter still has a grip in the higher Western Mountains until late May.

Southern UT is mind blowing to an 'Eastern Boy'!!  

• Like 2

Halfling

Yes, I kind of figured my choice of dates may be a bit on the early side but with the Grand Daughter's 1st birthday on July 15th I didn't have to much choice. It's all still in the planning stages but that's half of the fun!!!

• Like 1

DougW

If you are going to be at Zion, you won't be far from the Grand Canyon so I would think that would be a good add to the list.

Some of the routes we have been on go from Colorado Springs through Salida, over Monarch Pass to Montrose.  From there you can take the Million Dollar Highway through Ouray, Silverton and into Durango.  Mighty Nice Motorcycle roads but watch the weather, those are over 10,000 feet and can be cold and snow at unexpected times.  An alternative from Colorado Springs is to go through Pagosa Springs and over Wolf Creek Pass into Durango which is not as fun, but shorter and faster if time becomes a problem.

We spent 4 days in Yellowstone Years ago it was not enough time, spend a day in Hayden Valley a couple years ago and that is where you see the Good Bison herds.

From Zion, up to Bryce then on up toward Arches there are some fabulous roads and beautiful landscapes so you really can't go wrong on picking a route through there.

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

John, one good thing going for you is we've had a rather mild winter here. Lolo may have some late season snow, Beartooth more than likely, but areas North of me, Challis and Orofino, are generally pretty good. Early June for most of Idaho and Wyoming is usually very comfortable, the Parks are cool early in the morning, but warm up nicely during the day. 

Utah is beautiful, Brice and Zion are great, but check them before you go. For the last year or so some of the areas have been restricted, allowing visitors access only by tour bus or tram. If you get in our area, there are some great hot springs where you can soak the miles away, Lava Hot springs and Challis are a couple. 

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

John .....  this campground makes for an excellent base for a few days to explore what this area of southern UT has to offer, but you'd want to get there around noon, or not much later for a better chance of getting a site. There are 3-4 National Parks/Monuments within a day's outing

It's located at/near the southern end of fabulous Scenic Byway Hwy 12. Probably the best motorcycle road in southern UT

4209463394_03e3b502f8_z.jpg?zz=1

6554942271_c6c6566ef0_z.jpg

11887841163_9d006d49f9_c.jpg

4208701509_ca504e7e4b_z.jpg?zz=1

Feel free to ask me for route/campground suggestions once you narrow things down a bit

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Monkeytrucker

Ken, you should start a motorcycle trip planning business.  As I told you at one of the IL M&G, I think there is not a road in the states you have  not rode.  You should make a coffee table book of your travels and photos.  I bet you could sell them.  Wishing you many miles to come.

• Like 2

brianinpa
16 hours ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Ken, you should start a motorcycle trip planning business.  As I told you at one of the IL M&G, I think there is not a road in the states you have  not rode.  You should make a coffee table book of your travels and photos.  I bet you could sell them.  Wishing you many miles to come.

If not a business, at least publish all of his dang photos!

winger77

The way I know ole Dusty,,, is he’s a people person. and he just loves to share with others “as he rolls”.  He’s been advised to do a book probably a million times over, and yet he just enjoys “rolling with it. 

Maybe it’s something like,,,, if he wrote a book, then it’s all done with, and there won’t be as much for him to share like he does now.

There’s nothing like “on hands” experience sitting at camp with Ole Dusty :thumbs-up:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monkeytrucker

Dusty is a people person.  I joke with him about having to watch him when he is near my bride.  I know she likes to chat with him every year at the IL M&G and was very disappointed when he did not show up for the one last year.  

So Ken is still riding, well maybe pushing that thing he has now, but that should not stop him from doing a book when the long Canadian winter has him sitting in his rocking chair looking out the window and thinking "Wow it is nice not having to wade thru 40 inches of snow to deliver junk mail."

ssad charlie brown GIF

Hey Dusty, we all like you

• Haha 1

Parman

Dusty is like a traveling encyclopedia. I can't remember what I did last year on a ride and he rattles off trips turn by turn from years ago on a trip. I'm amazed how he remembers route numbers like he does. Guess its from all the years memorizing address as a postman. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dusty Boots

You people keep it up and you're gonna make my head swell!

xPdGx8t.gif

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Monkeytrucker

Hey Ken, when did you grow a mustache?

I agree with Don.  I do not think there is a road you have not been on.  BTW, you are welcome to drive down our road and visit a day or three.  We have our rolling 2nd bedroom you could use.  Of course I might have to put it out in the north pasture to make it harder for you or the Bride to visit late at night.

laughing out loud lol GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Halfling

Now that the "I love Dusty Boots fan club" (of which I am a card carrying member!!!) has attempted to steal my thread I think I'd better try to bring it back onto the topic at hand.

So, we're going to start out by a quick trip up to Ohio and back for my Grand Daughter's HS graduation on May 26th. We will then leave from Murfressboro on or about May 28/29 (a Monday or Tuesday). The route will be a clockwise route heading West/SouthWest (maybe Grand Canyon) then North, then back in an Easterly direction and arriving in IN for NASR 11 on July 11th or 12th. Home by July 14th. Just about 7 weeks total.

Monkeytrucker

AW SHUCKS, The Dusty Fan Club is more fun.  Your trip will just be a lot of miles of Nancy banging on the back of your helmet.  

angry vikings GIFN

Dusty Boots
(edited)

Here's a little something to think about, John.

https://goo.gl/maps/NPsTU1eH4kK2

Because of the time of year it is and some of the roads are closed, you'll have to decipher this portion.

https://goo.gl/maps/EK7FMQeS7vw

If you are hoping to camp within either the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone NP, I suggest you make a reservation NOW, or take your chances of arriving at the larger campgrounds early (noonish) in hopes of a vacancy. If not, then I would recommend Rex Hale, between the east gate and Cody as a good base camp, then exit out through the NW portion of Yellowstone to next camp.

Be aware that any of the campgrounds along the Seeley Lake Corridor require you to have an approved certified bear resistant food storage canister

"Bears may frequent the area. All food must be kept in approved containers. These containers are limited to certified bear resistant containers, the trunk of your car, cab of your vehicle with the windows up all the way, or tied up in a tree, at least 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the bole of the tree.

Please view our Visitor Guidelines."

It goes without saying, use the food lockers whenever available. Ask the park ranger if they have any

Pick up CO on the way back down to the NASSR rally

Edited by Dusty Boots
  • Like 1

DougW

Now that I have a few more minutes to work on a response;

Zion, as does the Grand Canyon South Rim, has trolleys or shuttle buses to get around parts of the park. Some people say they don't care for these while I found them to be great.  They are free, take you right to where you want to go with no traffic or parking problems, and have drivers that narrate the route to help you get more out of the trip.  They also cut down on the traffic in the parks so it is much more peaceful and quiet.  The ones in Zion have glass roofs so it is almost as good as riding the Trike.  If you are into hiking, Zion has some good ones. At our age I am sure you already know to stop in the visitor's centers first and figure out your day from there.  You will want to be sure to drive across Zion east to west and back again as it is a very scenic drive, the tunnel is pretty cool too.

We did not get to see much of Bryce Canyon as it was thunderstorms and sleet while we were there so it is still on my list but that is OK as that means I will get to spend time driving across Utah again some day.  If you travel from Zion toward Arches there are some great roads and lots of places to stop and look around at the scenery. 

Arches deserves a couple of days and there are plenty of other sights in the area Canyonlands being basically across the road.  There are some short hikes and some longer hikes in that park, and with the time of year you are going it could be pretty warm.  I use Weatherspark to check normal temperatures for place I am thinking of visiting and at that time of the year Moab has average temps of about 90.

When in the Tetons area plan to spend some time wandering around in Jackson.  They have some tourist shops and such there that are fun to walk through.  Go over to the Ski resort, wander around the Mangy Moose if it is still there, and, if you can stand the heights, ride the cable car to the top.  My brother said the views were breathtaking.  

Yellowstone is one place where research beforehand can pay big dividends.  There is so much to see and so much to do you will want to prioritize your stops and plan your time.  It is best if you have time to just drive slow, stop at most of the turnouts and look at a whole lot of beauty.  The first time we went about 20 years ago I bought a book called "The Geology of Yellowstone".  Knowing just what we were seeing and how it came to be, and how the geysers work made the trip a lot more meaningful.  Of course the Old Faithful area is a full day by itself to walk that geyser basin and visit the lodge and gift shops.  We enjoyed all of it from Fountain Paint Pots, to Yellowstone lake, to Mammoth, and the Canyon and the Falls.  You will need to bring your patience as any time there are animals within sight of the road there will be a "Bear Jam' with everyone stopping to look and get their pictures in.  

When we went to Glacier we stayed on the west side of the park.  When we went in to ride the Going to the Sun Road the cliffs were on our right (and I ain't real good with heights) and the sun was in our eyes as we were going up.  We went all the way across and had lunch on the east side.  Rode back up with the cliffs off to the left side of the road and the sun, once again, in our eyes.  My recommendation is to stay to the east side of the park and hit Going To the Sun early so you have the sun behind you for your ride.  An alternative would be to take a red bus tour, let them do the driving and narrate your ride while you spend you time looking around.  Maybe spend a couple of days so you can take their tour one day and drive it yourself the next.

If you plan to camp in any of the Parks you will no doubt need reservations made well in advance.  There is security in knowing you have a place to camp but it puts you on a rather fixed schedule.  Two years ago when we spent a month out west I made my reservations only a day or two ahead of time and only a couple of times had to go to a second choice for a campground, using private campgrounds for the whole trip.   

Once getting out west I find planning for no more than 4, maybe 5 hours driving time each day is enough.  By the time you stop to smell a few roses it will be time to set up camp for the night.

I am one who likes to read up on places I will be visiting so when I get there I can have a better understanding of what I am seeing.  I like to know how the Grand Canyon was formed, and why Yellowstone has geysers, for me that just makes a trip a lot more interesting.

Bring a decent camera, one with a 20X optical zoom should do the trick.  We have a Canon that has a 10X optical with a digital doubler that works quite well.  When we were at the Grand Canyon we took some pictures of a bridge we could just see at the bottom of the canyon (we were on the south rim).  When we got the back to the camper and looked at the pictures on the laptop screen we could see people and rafts on the beach next to that bridge.  With the naked eye could not see well enough to know there was even a beach down there.

As you get your plans more settled those of us who have been there will gladly give you our opinions on where to go and what to do with yourself when you get there.

• Like 1

DougW
4 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

Here's a little something to think about, John.

https://goo.gl/maps/NPsTU1eH4kK2

Because of the time of year it is and some of the roads are closed, you'll have to decipher this portion.

https://goo.gl/maps/EK7FMQeS7vw

If you are hoping to camp within either the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone NP, I suggest you make a reservation NOW, or take your chances of arriving at the larger campgrounds early (noonish) in hopes of a vacancy. If not, then I would recommend Rex Hale, between the east gate and Cody as a good base camp, then exit out through the NW portion of Yellowstone to next camp.

Be aware that any of the campgrounds along the Seeley Lake Corridor require you to have an approved certified bear resistant food storage canister

• Bears may frequent the area. All food must be kept in approved containers. These containers are limited to certified bear resistant containers, the trunk of your car, cab of your vehicle with the windows up all the way, or tied up in a tree, at least 10 feet up and 4 feet out from the bole of the tree.

Please view our Visitor Guidelines.

Ken, as he said the Colorado mountains were on his list, what about coming into Colorado to Greeley or Colorado Springs, then Salida, Montrose, Ouray, Silverton, and Durango.  This puts him a reasonable distance from Telluride and Mesa Verde if those might be of interest. 

• Like 1

Halfling

How about Colorado first for a week or so and then down the Million Dollar Hwy to Albuquerque, then Grand Canyon and the route up through Utah, etc? That may give things in the north an extra week or two to thaw out!

Ken, what about the Canadian side of the boarder around Glacier NP? Is it worth going over?

Dusty Boots
2 hours ago, Halfling said:

Ken, what about the Canadian side of the boarder around Glacier NP? Is it worth going over?

Definitely worth going over, but you won't have the time, John

Dusty Boots
(edited)

Try this then

https://goo.gl/maps/uQhyhVcZ3u72

https://goo.gl/maps/7ZdvSH5C5D82

https://goo.gl/maps/r5SBJPEo2PH2

Again, Google maps won't route through certain areas due to road closures at this time of year (Like Beartooth Pass/Chief Joseph Scenic Byways south of Red Lodge MT)Besides Glacier National Park, I would suggest staying at least 2-3 nights at the campsites circled in red to visit surrounding areas via Day Rides

I can fill you in on campground details later if interested

5a8a09997143b_1stLeg.thumb.jpg.ae04723a3670aaee47ca07b32e351b64.jpg

5a8a09a436960_2ndLeg.thumb.jpg.75ecd385426426e0a1610951f52addc2.jpg

Edited by Dusty Boots
  • Like 1