Sign in to follow this  
ronvdm

Proud new owner of an ’85 GL1200 LTD

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

ronvdm

Hello everyone. As you can tell from my user name, my name is Ron. I have never owned or operated a bike before but just recently convinced my wife to allow me to buy one.  I looked at a lot of bikes but was won over by the Honda Goldwing. I found a 1985 Goldwing GL1200 LTD for sale just a couple of miles from where I live in Burnaby, BC Canada. 

It had been sitting for a number of years and would not start but it had only 30,000 or so km's on it and, according to the seller, had been running and was in good condition when he parked it several years ago. It had been stored indoors and cosmetically was in a very nice condition. I decided that it would be a fun project to work on (despite having no experience with working on motorcycles) and purchased it for $600 CDN.

My intention is to strip it down and turn it into a naked Goldwing as I will only be riding it locally and will not need all of the bags attached to it. I have heard on other forums that it is not a good idea, and apparently not possible, to turn a standard '85 GL1200 LTD into a naked version.

I am a member or another Forum where another member has the same bike as me and is in the process of converting it into a naked bike.  Unlike him, who has received no warnings about doing so, it has been suggested by a couple of members on another site that I should not do it.  What do any of you think? 

All I would do is remove the bags, the fairing and replace the seat.  I have decided not to remove the false tank/shelter.  Instead, I would use fiberglass to fill in the holes where it would have attached to the fairing.

If it is possible to turn it into a naked GL1200 LTD, then I suspect that I will have a lot of questions as I begin tearing it down. I look forward to learning as much as possible from all of you. I can't wait to get it running and to take a ride on such a beautiful bike. All the best, Ron.

Halfling

Nice post Ron and WELCOME aboard! I'm going to move this post out to our technical section (maybe just a copy) as we've got a couple of members that immediately come to mind that have lots of experience with the 1200s. I'll bet they'll be chiming ion real soon!

• Like 1

roscoepc

First off, Welcome to the Site Ron!!

Being as I own one, I know a "bit" about the 1985 Limited Edition. Being as there were only a bit over 5000 of these bike manufactured you might want to think a bit before cutting it up into a "Standard".... The 1985 GL1200 was kind'a unique in that there was 4 different models: the Standard, the Interstate, the Aspencade, and the Limited Edition, I believe the Standard was the least produced model along with 1984 being the last year for a "Naked GW until the 1500 Valkerie was introduced.

The Limited Edition was very Unique in that it was totally Top of the line for it's year with features not seen for several years like Fuel Injection, ( Except for the 1986 Aspencade SEi)!

Mine had sat in a shed for 7 years before I got her.. She was in SAD shape cosmetically!! The fuel system was totally lacquered up and the Honda Dealership said it was a total piece of Junk. If your bike is in ANY kind of decent shape, Don't cut her up!!! Mine's not Fantastic looking but She's in pretty good shape for the shape she's in as you'll see in the pic I'll post.

How will this bike run?? It just so happens I made a video on the Dragon so here's a sample of what the bike will do with a Rookie on the Bar's!!

If you need any help/advise on her let me know. I don't know much but I'm willing to share!!

010.JPG

• Like 2

ronvdm

Thank you John and Don for responding to my post.  I must say that it is becoming more and more difficult for me to justify converting my LTD.  Part of me would really like to strip it down and turn it into the bike that I was hoping to build and part of me is now questioning if that is the right thing to do given the rarity of this model.  Part of me wants to prove that it can be done but part of me wants to preserve the past.  What I may end up doing is get it running again then sell it and purchase a Goldwing that is already naked or that won't be so difficult to convert into a naked bike.  I do like a lot of the extras that the LTD has that the others don't, such as the fuel injection but, as I understand it, the fuel injection systems on these bike can be difficult to deal with/repair.  Oh well, I guess I will wait to see what others have to say and go from there.   Thanks again, guys.

Halfling

How about some pics Ron? Let's see what your working with!!!

Green Dragon

First of all welcome to the board/bored. Secondly, I do not have and never have had a 1200. But knowing the rarity of the bike, and the condition you say it has been preserved, I would clean her up, ride her and enjoy. If you really want a naked bike, buy a bobber or find a Valkerie. They are a great ride. You may find that what you have works just fine for the riding you want to do. The Wings are a tremendous ride.  Having a few more options than you want or need may not be an issue once you start riding it.

Jeffrey 

roscoepc
18 hours ago, ronvdm said:

I do like a lot of the extras that the LTD has that the others don't, such as the fuel injection but, as I understand it, the fuel injection systems on these bike can be difficult to deal with/repair

The main difficulty with the fuel injection system is in procuring any needed part's as the bike is 32 years old. That said, the only REAL problems I've came across are few and far between mainly issues with the Throttle Position Switch. I've never came across a post about the CFI computer going bad and I believe the injector's are almost bulletproof! Mine had sat for 7 years and as I stated earlier the fuel system was pretty lacquered up. The fuel pump/fuel tank was toast and I got some used one's off Ebay. I got her running by shooting lighter fluid into the manometer vacuum hole and running fuel injector cleaner at double strength. It took patience because the injectors were plugged so it took about a month of running her to get the engine warmed up enough to heat the injectors so they would unplug but all in all, a LOT easier than rebuilding 4 carb's!!!! :blink:

Besides, getting the necessary parts to change her to a Standard is not gonna be as easy as you might think, AND, You gotta figure out where yer gonna put the CFI Computer which is under the trunk!!

In short, FWIW, My vote is to get that Old Girl running and keep her as stock as you can!!!!!! There's some things you'll need to check/work on with the charging system to make that more dependable, but that's really the bike's only weakness in my opinion!! I can walk you through that and being as there are people on here that are a LOT Smarter than I am, Well... We'll fix you up!!! ;)

And BTW... Here's a GL1200 Standard that belongs to Don Piggott: "Poorboy".  I'd fix the LTD and get a Standard for use as a Hot Rod when the urge overcame me!!!!!:59fb607672645_SmileyToothSM:

002.JPG

roscoepc
11 hours ago, Halfling said:

How about some pics Ron? Let's see what your working with!!!

Yeah!!! We want PIC's!!!!!!

pics-or-it-didnt-happen.jpg

Hawggy

Triplets 85 LTD's.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Yay 1

Hawggy

Keep it stock and make friends with others like these 2 JOKERS. We became friends a long time ago through these Bikes and have remained friends to this day. Fix it up, sell it restored and buy a Aspencade to turn into a Bagger. You stole it for what you paid for it..

ronvdm

Hi everyone.  So a number of you have been asking that I post photos of my bike.  Please know that I have not been ignoring you.  The bike is stored at my brothers house and I have not had the opportunity to get back there since the night that I purchased the bike.  Trust me, however, that I will be taking pictures as soon as I am able to do so.  Just thought you might want to know.  All the best, Ron.

• Thanks 1

Graham
(edited)

Congrats on the great find and welcome aboard!

welcome dr evil GIF

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ALK

I have 2 of these.

One I bought damaged, but it is repairable,

and I often thought of making a street rod out of it.

It is just sitting in the garage in case I ever need any parts

for my mint condition 85 LTD which has  80,000 km on it

We just bought a brand new 2018,

which will be delivered after the snow is gone( can't wait!).

Decided to keep my Classic Wing ( it is like an old car to a biker)

These 85's are classic and there was only 5732 made.

they will appreciate in value after the 35 year mark.

They are unique and should be kept as stock as possible.

Some experts say best Wing ever built (only prob is the stator and connectors).

enjoy your ride!

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

Congrats on the new Wing, keeping a fine Classic, and joining our merry band.  Welcome from SE Idaho!!!  Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.  :welcome-signboard-smiley-emoticon: