Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Halfling

Got Out For A Nice Ride Today

44 posts in this topic Last Reply

AZgl1800

not looking too good for today

Wx.png

Vito

Here in Rockford, IL in the northern portion of the state we are not predicted to have even moderately good weather for riding, which I define as 50 degrees or higher, for another 10 days. Most years the riding season begins here in mid to late March. This now looks like we will not have good days consistently until at least mid April, and more likely the end of April. Should winter come early, say in October, our entire riding season may well be only 5 months total. For someone to whom riding is a key part of my life this really sucks. 

Galaxyhunter
4 hours ago, jobe05 said:

But I would rather you guys up north have all the fun.........

Please......  Take the fun...... 

Just give me the horrible, no fun 70 degree weather back........

I would, But my parents taught me to SHARE!!  If they knew I was trying to horde all the fun, They would slap me.:sad-face:

AZgl1800

Well, I gave it a few hours and walked to the mailbox, about 110 yards from the house.

By the time I got there, I was chilling all the way through even though I had a jacket on.

Winds are 22+ according to the WxBu and at 61*, eh, no rides today.

roscoepc

I feel yall's pain.... It was 83f here today and clear as who'd a thought it!! But I had to work......... :roflmao::roflmao:

Vito

5 days since my earlier post. Its now April 8th and it was in the teens this morning, and now up to the upper 30's here in the Rockford, IL area. Still too cold to run and be enjoyable. Plus we are expecting SNOW later today. Its odd that early in March I was able to get out for nice rides several times, but nothing since then. What's the cost of living in Naples, FL?

Mysticfour

I got out on the bike last Saturday for a couple hours,  was in low 60's and then snow storm on Sunday,  mid to late of this week low to mid 60's, low of 50 Wednesday night and mid 60's Thursday, unless it is raining in morning it will be first day to ride it to work for the year 

roscoepc
9 hours ago, Vito said:

What's the cost of living in Naples, FL?

Expensive!!!!! But the weather's nice unless a hurricane hit's.... :roflmao:

Bluthundr31

After procrastinating for months, , ,I was "forced" to deal with Uncle Sam yesterday.  He took most of my hard-earned $$, , ,but I'll be damned if he's gonna take my FUN!!!  I decided that I'd take the LONG way around to the Post Office and enjoy the ride on the bike, (I sure showed HIM!!) smiling the entire time.  Know what?? That fat check I mailed didn't seem  to hurt quite as much, , , :)  

Vito

Being from California, where your high state income taxes will no longer be deductible, next year will likely be even worse for you. But if you relocate before the end of June, you might be able to avoid that dilemma. 

Monkeytrucker

Went for a ride today, on the mower that is.  Wind was blowing so hard that the discharged grass was blowing right back over me.  Maybe some day we will be able to ride the Gold Wing.  We did ride the Big Red up thru some oil roads north of here.  There has been so much water that we did not want to ride thru the holes in the lanes.  One spot they even had a mud float bridging a washed out bridge.  The boss did not want to ride across it so we back out of that one also.

Mushrooms are popping out.  Saw some people scratching around looking for them.  My Mother could find them like she had radar for them.  I could not find one if it was growing 3' tall.

Bluthundr31

Took my 10 yr. old grand-daughter out for a ride today, ,she's been wanting to find out what I call "A dam good ride".  Its a loop of three of the good size dams around here, and its about a 40 mile loop through gorgeous rolling green hills, decent-smooth curvy roads, and lots of hawks, buzzards, deer, cattle, horses, squirrels and a ton of others, (no skunks though, she doesn't like the smell). Dam kid had a smile plastered on her face from beginning to end.  It was great!!!!  'Bout 1/2 way through she yelled for me to turn on Siri, she called "grandma" from the backseat and had a great time, the BT-S2 headset was worth the price when I heard her "smile" to my "little Lotus Blossom" over the phone. A bit of a side trip to show her "Papas" old house where he grew up, and, down the road, "Grandma" grew up was icing on the cake.

I call days like this, , ,"Memory Makers", , , It sure lived up to the billing on THIS ride.

Bluthundr31

My brother arrived on a Harley Ultra that he rented in S.S.F. and will be in town for a few days.  I met him on the freeway before he got into town and used Siri to call his cellphone while we were doing 65 mph and it connected just fine, but I noticed a "tick" of a lag in our conversation.  Cellphone-to-Cellphone worked fine, even this cheapie BT-S2 did great.  He brought his helmet with a Sena-10 for an intercom.  He had to use the "Universal Intercom Configuration" to get it to pair to my BT-S2 but it worked like a charm!!! 

I took him out on my favorite "Dam Good Ride Too" route for about a 40 mile loop and had the BEST time EVER!!!  His bike did great on the twisty's and he had fun.  My front forks are still leaking a small amount of "fork oil", but I can't deal with it until he heads home.  I'll have to be gentle to it 'til then.  It was a great day for a fun ride

Bluthundr31

Temps in mid 80's and the "BEAST" was whispering for me to "blow out the carbon" on her pistons.  I decided to check how the new HJC helmet handled the "Dam Good Ride" course.  The reservoirs had a lite breeze off the water, and temps were 5-10 degrees cooler than home.  The helmet/intercom worked flawlessly and the vents kept my head cool.  My only complaint about the helmet is that the "mouth/face" vent gives far less fresh air than the "head" vent.  It might be adequate if the windshield were gone, , , but THATS not going to happen.  I really enjoy the new helmet, , and I got most of the carbon blown out of the pistons when nobody was lookin.  It was a great 40 mile loop and the ride was GREAT.

Bluthundr31

Had a great family-gathering/BarBQ in the back yard and all the kids wanted to go for a bike ride.  I spent much of the afternoon, and 1/2 tank of gas, giving each of em a ride on some twisties, and country curves.  Every single one had a smile ear-to-ear when we got back.  Even my youngest daughter (40's) had to see what all the "fun" was about.  Great "memory-maker" Day.

AZgl1800

Temps finally cooled off a bit, and I started the bike and rode around my property and then around the blocks in my part of town.  Needed to exercise the ole girl, and get her properly put away on the battery tender.... when I unloaded her after getting home from NASR-11, the shop was full of junk, so she was left outside in the rain :(

Bluthundr31

Took a ride over to San Joaquin Valley (180mi round trip), to check out grave-markers of grandparents who came through Ellis Island from the Azores in the early 1900's.  I did the "Ancestry-dot-com" test and have dabbled in organizing a "family tree". My grandfather passed in 1934 so I never got to meet him.  I found the marker from "hints" given by the website so I can now add a picture of the marker for other family members to see. 

The beast handled the trip flawlessly and even though the ride was hotter than HELL, , ,it was good to get out and ride.  The radio/helmet/cellphone projects made the trip so much more enjoyable than previous rides.  I wish I had done this "refurbishing" job on the beast years ago, , , but its still fun now to have 'er up and going.

Bluthundr31

In the mid 80's & low 90's here so I took the back-roads along the dams to San Jose to pick up some meds.  Caught sight of a bunch of wild turkeys and deer in the hills near the water.  I was pleased to see the beast charging at 14.1-14.2 volts the entire way.  I mounted a small LED voltage indicator on the inside wall of the fairing just under the dash panel and the darn thing was easy to see/read and its shaded from the sunlight nicely.  Taking the "LONG" way to the pharmacy was about a 50 mile ride, , ,another great day

• Like 1

Bluthundr31

Temps in low 60's today and clear skies so it was time to blow some carbon outta them carbs.  Rode past the local dams/reservoirs to gawk at how swollen they are.  Signs of flooding all over the roads over there but it was a smooth, sunny ride.  It felt good to take a break from working with those new unobtainium panels.  The ride gave me time to contemplate adding a "gauge-visor" as an option with the purchase of a new panel.  Some riders have commented about the sun "glare" and the annoying "reflection" off the windshield at night riding.  I think I will check into it some more.