Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mytur_Banizdurty

Coolant Leak

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mytur_Banizdurty

1993 Goldwing GL 1500A, After The Bike Warms Up, Getting A Cloud Of Vapor (Smells Like Antifreeze) Coming Up Thru The Sides Where The Forks Turn, Fogging Up The Windshield...No Leaks Detected Yet. Checked Antifreeze Level From Overflow Tank, She's Low...Anybody Else Come Across This Similar Issue, And What Do I Need To Do To Fix This Problem. Taking It To My Local Honda Repair Shop, Is The Last Resort For Me.

Thank You For Your Time, 

Chris

OnaWingandaPrayer

One of the common leak points is at the reservoir . The 90* fitting where the hose goes over to the fill neck is known to crack and leak coolant.

Dusty Boots
16 minutes ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

One of the common leak points is at the reservoir . The 90* fitting where the hose goes over to the fill neck is known to crack and leak coolant.

Mike's right.

That is a very common leak source and would be where I'd look 1st!

Don't expect to find a big, gaping tear/rip, just a small crack, so inspect carefully/thoroughly!! 

3480808201_8c929e005d_o.jpg

3481554490_5765fd62cc_o.jpg.cfdf65ec3c7d2184b77596266979771d.jpg

• Like 2

Mytur_Banizdurty

Ok, I'll Check It Out Tomorrow, I Really Appreciate All Your Advise & Help, I'll Let You Know How It Turns Out !!!

Mytur_Banizdurty

I Checked that hose, It's intact, no cracks, It's coming from down below ..Removed Front Radiator Grille, And Lower Cowl.  So Much Stuff Crammed into a small spot, LOL Cant find the leak....Still looking.

winger77
On 1/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mytur_Banizdurty said:

I Checked that hose, It's intact, no cracks, It's coming from down below ..Removed Front Radiator Grille, And Lower Cowl.  So Much Stuff Crammed into a small spot, LOL Cant find the leak....Still looking.

Your probably in the right location. When I did my timing belts last time, I discovered a hose with a very small leak. 

Get the bike warmed up with those covers off and keep watching for the leak is all you can do really. 

I have a set of “Hose Pliers” from Harbor Freight that were extremely beneficial for the job. No way to get your hands in there. You will probably have to remove the Lower side fairing also. 

Mytur_Banizdurty

I've Been Looking, It's on The Right Side Of The Engine. Can Smell Anti-Freeze Burning When The Fan Kicks On. Can't Find Any Leaks. I've Got The Tools, Just Don't Have The Room To Look Inside The Engine Compartment...LOL, I'll Keep Lookin For This darn Houdini Leak !!!

Let Ya Know When I Locate It, Thank You For Your Help !!

winger77

If I remember right,,, I do believe I removed a cooling fan also. So you really have to dig in deep. 

Mytur_Banizdurty

YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, LoL...

winger77

I know,, just what you wanted to hear, right. But at least it’s not during the riding season. This is the time I tear mine down for maintenance. The best time to work on these bikes is when you don’t have the feeling of urgency.  

And while your in there, it makes it a good time to clean out all the bugs and leaves from the back side of the radiators.

• Like 1

Mytur_Banizdurty

You Do Have A Very Good Point There Sir...i Agree !!!

91Winger

Check all the rad and thermostat housing clamps. OEM ones are chincy and strip easily, replacewith  some good quality tridon clamps or equilivent

Curt