Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Mountain Rider

Thoughts on a new camera

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

Retirement is getting closer, riding season is getting closer, and we've made up our minds that we want to document our travels.  My Nikon is just too bulky for hauling around on the Aspy, and the old Olympus is kinda on its last leg.  I'm thinking I want something easy to carry and easy to use, but will allow me to to zoom in on those shots at a distance when need be.  It probably needs to be something a bit more than just a pocket camera, with a bit larger objective to enhance those up close and personal shots, yet small enough that it can be grabbed quickly and tucked in a corner of the trunk or hung around a neck.  So what does everyone find works best for them?

Monkeytrucker

While I do not have one and do not foresee getting one, the smart phones today can take photos as good and most DSLR cameras.  Heck, they have even filmed movies using an I-Phone.  And most everyone has one in their pocket.

AZgl1800

My Samsung Note 4 has a great camera.......

But it has one huge glaring error, as all cellphone cameras do...

Lag Time!

See that fox in the hen house? quick, grab the phone, turn it on, enter the passcode, hit the Home page, hit the Camera icon, and wait....... wait.... and now the camera is ready for use..... ah crap, now where is that fox now?

I think what is needed, is a smallish DSLR camera with a small internal Zoom Lens so that the longer scenes can be pulled in and the camera can then go click click click all within maybe 5 seconds at most.... this camera needs to have a neck tether though, or it will take too long to get it ready to go.  Or, it will be dropped off the bike and lost/broken.

I have a great Sony DSLR with a 7 MegaPixel capture capability. It also has a 25 to 750 zoom lens on it....

that allows that 7 MP lens to capture anything you want with way more pixels than will be accepted by any forum... or Facebook for that matter.  But, that camera has a huge flaw.... it is Big, and it is Heavy, and the Flash technology is so old, and soooo slow, that you only get one flash shot, and then the subjects have fled the scene..... it takes it 12-15 seconds for it to build up enough power to flash again.

But, what a flash!!! that thing once lit up a parking lot down below where I was standing in Cottonwood, AZ... a picture taken after dark, the flash lit up the entire parking lot.  I saw a line of cars at least 20 of them all lit up bright as day.... there was a fence behind the cars, it was painted white, and it was a bright white in that picture.....

but, a night shot caused the camera to program that flash for Super Power, and it took it 45 seconds to build up enough power for the light to go green and show me it was ready for a flash shot.

My cellphone's flash is good for about 10 feet, end of story....

NC Aspenwing

I carry a Nikon Coolpix P-500. Feels and acts like a DSLR but you don't have to carry

extra lenses also has a built in flash. Battery life Is good, And you can shoot In auto mode or change

the settings just like a DSLR.

• Yay 1

Mountain Rider

NC Aspenwing, that's one I've been looking at, along with the Cannon PowerShot. 

roscoepc

Since I went to digital camera's I've used 2 Kodak EasyShare camera's, the latest one being a Z1012 IS. Both take really good pic's with good resolution and have a pretty good zoom lens. What I really like is the cost compared to the Nikons, Minolta's and such!! Here's a pic taken with my old Kodak.. I don't remember the model but I was able to carry it in my shirt pocket!

100_0139.JPG

AZgl1800

My next camera's requirement is going to be a Time Stamp!

w/o that, you don't know when the pix was taken, and I like Geo tagging, so I can use Google Maps to find out "where that picture was taken"

jobe05
On 1/14/2018 at 11:02 AM, roscoepc said:

Since I went to digital camera's I've used 2 Kodak EasyShare camera's, the latest one being a Z1012 IS. Both take really good pic's with good resolution and have a pretty good zoom lens. What I really like is the cost compared to the Nikons, Minolta's and such!! Here's a pic taken with my old Kodak.. I don't remember the model but I was able to carry it in my shirt pocket!

I agree with Don.  When I carried a camera, I always used Kodak.  Most that I have had, I can use a lanyard around my neck and the camera's are a point and shoot.  Even from an off position, I could pick it up, point and shoot and the camera would come on and take the pic.

I have since gone to the Biker Pro series camera.  https://bullethd.com/en/ 

I have one on the front and one on the back of the bike.  THey come on and off with the ignition.  What I like about these that no one else had when I got these was all the electrical connections, even the charger wire gets clamped in.  I have spent so much money on GoPro's over the years and due to vibration, they last a few months then the plug in connectors get worn out or the camera itself craps out.

Mountain Rider

Good stuff here.  I was telling Leslie this morning that if all goes as planned and June 1st finds me retired, I'm going to take a photography class.  I've wanted to for some time now, and this would be the perfect time.  We have a world class nature photographer and instructor here, and the basic classes are very reasonable, about $75.  It would help both with making me a better photographer and give me some insight into equipment as well.  Guess we'll see.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 2

DougW

Check out the New York Institute of Photography http://www.nyip.edu/ Page.  Look at the articles that are available on there for some good ideas.

flylow

Go online and check out the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 Lumix.  While not a DSLR it has X10 optic zoom 28mm wide angle Leica lens, auto focus, takes photos, movies and macro mode along with all that other digital stuff.  We've had ours many years now, a little beat-up but still working good.  I'm sure this has been replaced with another model but the size and weight should be about the same.  Fits in the cubby by the 1800 passenger's speakers.  Good luck with your search....there are a lot to look at out there.

brianinpa

I used to think I needed a expensive camera to take better pictures.  I have a Coolpix P500 at work and I cannot tell any difference between most of the pictures I take with that or my cell phone.  Now obviously I am not a professional photographer, but I'm happy with what my cell phone does.

AZgl1800

I have been using only a cellphone now since 2010....

at that time, and previously, as cellphones weren't even invented then ( the smart ones ) I was using a Sony 7 mP with a 28mm Wide Angle to 750 mm telephoto lens.

When you still have 7 mPixels trapped inside that 750 mm long lens, that is a lot of detail.

I have never found a reason to go for a "big pixel camera".

forums and websites usually can't use more than about 800x600 pixels anyway, as the display will be larger than our screens.

So, my Samsung Note 4 camera which can do 16 mP, has been permanently set to 2 mP...

why? for the reason above, and I get 8 times as many pictures on the 64 gB stick.

Why take a 16 mP photo, then have to run it thru a converter app to bring it down to 2 mP so a forum will accept it as an upload?  I gave up on the big photos 3 years ago, just too darn much trouble. I never will have a photo plastered on the wall at 16 inches x 24 inches anyway.  If it can't be seen in Digital format, I just won't do it.

Mortimerr

I purchased a Nikon S7000 a couple of years ago. Small enough to fit in your pocket, but has a 20X optical zoom. Takes nice pictures and has enough options/bells/whistles to make you see double. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it had the features I wanted - mainly a strong optical zoom. I don't like what digital zooms do to the resolution. What surprised me the most, is how that can fit all that lens into such a small body. So far it seems to be a good all-around travel camera.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,