Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Green Dragon

Day ride for NASR 11

39 posts in this topic Last Reply

Green Dragon

N. KY tour, to Big Bone lick and back.GPX

If you have GARMIN Base Camp, you should be able to open this file and look at a nice medium/short one day ride from the Riverside Inn through northern Kentucky and back. It takes in Rabbit Hash, Big Bone Lick State Park and a number of great roads to ride, with some great places you could stop for lunch.

Jeffrey

• Like 1

Green Dragon

There is another route in the Base Camp file for a day trip through south eastern Indiana and along the north shore of the Ohio River.

• Like 1

Green Dragon

When riding with the Retired and Riding group we do these routes or parts of them in various configurations many times during the year. Neither of these rides are long, less than 200 miles total.  They make a nice day ride with a stop for lunch at where ever you pick. Both rides are listed as riding from The Riverside Inn, either through northern Kentucky or southeast Indiana and ending back at the Riverside Inn.

• Like 1

Hawggy

Can't seem to open the file. Any way to make it a Google Map? Thanks

• Like 1

winger77
50 minutes ago, Hawggy said:

Can't seem to open the file. Any way to make it a Google Map? Thanks

Darn good question!!!! Not everyone uses specific programs. But Google Maps is available to all.

• Like 1

Green Dragon

I  will try and send the rides in a different format later today.

• Like 2

AZgl1800

I have never, ever, been able to use those GPX files worth a darn....

the few times I tried to load them into the GPS was a total waste of time,

the GPS totally ignored the way points, and chose its' own path from start to end...

that ended my trying to work with basecamp, what a piece of garbage.

Google Maps will output a GPX file if you need it....

for me, just setting up the waypoints individually into the GPS far outweighs the mess of other methods.

• Like 2

Green Dragon

I don't seem to be able to load these routes in any other format. I would have to individually set up a map with way points. If you can even look at the map on-line, you could get a pretty good idea of where I have taken you. And if you want to spend the time setting up your own map, that should work.  You really can't go wrong just taking off and heading towards the Ohio river and southeast Indiana or Northern Kentucky and staying on the back roads. We have some of the best back road riding available. Of course you have to like twisties and scenery. The two rides, as listed are one in southeast Indiana and the other going across the bridge into Northern Kentucky on I-275 and getting off at the first exit. those are some of the best maintained back roads, black top and lined where possible.  Indiana's roads can be a little rough with tar and chip in many places, but beautiful rides wither way.

2-one day rides.GPX

Road Runner

I  do not load trip waypoints... Is that necessary? I can lead a lot of rides in Indiana, Ohio and Northern Kentucky.

I ca plot out trips if certain waypoints are needed or required!

• Like 1

AZgl1800

if we are just out to see the sights, it don't much matter what the "waypoints" are....

that is an area that I have not been around at all, so it will all be new.

My wife is from the Bluffton, IN and  Ft. Wayne area and I spent quite a bit of time up around there back in the late '60s,

Green Dragon

Road Runner and I do not need way points. We can do these rides blindfolded, (but what fun is that).  The only reason I tried to load the maps was so that those unfamiliar with the area would have a general idea of where they are not get too turned around on little windy twisty roads.  They need to know where the restaurants are located!:confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1

brianinpa

I've been working with Jeff on converting his GPX files into Google Maps for those that do not use Garmin Base Camp.  So, if this works, when you click the link , all the widgets and gizmos should appear and you should see a map and route information for one of Jeff's day trips...

brianinpa

If this link works, it should be the Big Bone Lick ride.

jobe05

Both links worked and look great!

Green Dragon

You are a genius!! Just guessing.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Green Dragon

Both links worked great. And as everyone should be able to see, there are a huge number of twisty, windy, hilly roads, not high lighted, but visible on the maps.  Just use the the designated routes as a guide and you can take off for anywhere on the map and find your way back to dinner.

Jeffrey

• Like 1

AZgl1800

good routes there Jeffery,

looks like we will have some fun this summer.

brianinpa

After making those trip maps, I am really looking forward to riding some of those roads

winger77

Good work guys :thumbs-up:

Green Dragon

There are so many roads to ride in southeastern Indiana and northern Kentucky, east and west of I-75, you could ride a different ride every day and never be on the same roads twice for a long, long time. Even riding to east of Cincinnati towards Adams County gives you a great number of roads to ride, it just a little longer to get there. I could spend my life setting up routes on different roads and never get to ride them. But two inches of the white death falling as I write will keep me in today. I guess I will have to go plow driveways for the neighbors this morning.

Green Dragon

For those that want to ride the local highways and byways of our area, Jim Pennington has graciously offered to lead rides  on Tuesday and Thursday. You could do a lot worse than follow Jim. He will not need maps or way points. Plus he knows all the restaurants that you could stop at for lunch.  If you are going to be here early enough to ride on Tuesday, he will be available, as well as Thursday. A little heads up that you want to ride on Tuesday would help, sop we know, if in fact, he will be leading a ride.  If there are more that want to ride than I would expect, I am sure we have others that would lead you into the deep, dark depths of Indiana, Kentucky or Ohio.

Jeffrey

• Like 2

Road Runner

If any interest in Tuesday or Thursday - or even if there is an early bird - on Monday afternoon - I would love to show the riders a few rides in this area. Monday afternoon for a short to get a preview of a small bit of this area. If any interest contact me here.

Thanks..

Jim Pennington

aka Road Runner

lopeha

Our group of ne'er do wells will be in late Sunday afternoon.  I am considering a day trip to Indy as I have always wanted to see the Speedway and museum. 

AZgl1800

Going to have the Suburban all cleaned up and ready, new windshield being installed this afternoon, now we can actually see what is in front of us 😎

The A/C got fixed two weeks ago, so I can drive up in comfort even if the daytime temps hit 100°F+

Should be all fresh and ready for the rides, as my bike will be following along with me.