Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Mountain Rider

Thinking about retiring

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I turn 65 in March, and after working most of my life, I'm thinking the time is right. The aches and pains acquired from years of military service, climbing towers, slinging tires, and crawling on the floor fixing other people's cars, trucks, and RV's has caught up with me. Although I'd love to tuff it out until I'm 66, my wife, and more recently myself, are thinking it may be time. Looking at the health side, some much needed rest and a slower pace won't hurt. Financially, we've done the math, and I'll make more setting on my butt than working it off.  Of course, the real bonus is being able to spend more time with the wife and friends (and on the bike).   Thinking hard about it, but if all goes well, 1 June I'll be fat and lazy. For now, I'm just fat. 

• Like 5

AZgl1800

I retired at  66.5 IIRC,  the timing was set to coincide with a few factors with my work history, maximum employment gross pay over a 3 year average....  which where I worked, was how they determined your retirement pension check. had I worked one more year to get a bigger SS check, I would have lost 1/3rd of my highest 3 year average....  the numbers just worked out that I should go earlier... and I don't regret it at all.

It took me over a year to quit feeling like I should be up, and going in to work.... two years until I lost that feeling.

about 2 years after moving to Oklahoma, I decided to work a summer job..... I enjoyed the work and the people, but it was a bad decision from the pain I took with the IRS hit... it pushed me over the fence into the next tax bracket, but not high enough to keep from having a net loss....  result? that $12/hour job netted me $2/hour and I worked four ten hour days all summer....  I spent more than that  in snacks at the convenience stores

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

I can relate to much of what you say.  Right now I have my military pension, add my Social Security, and the bills are paid and enough left to enjoy the Aspy..... a bunch.  Since this would be before full retirement age for me, I'd have to watch any work hours I might put in so, like you I didn't get caught working for free.  It also means I would receive about $120 less per month, but at 65 in the state of Idaho, you don't pay state income tax on retirement pay, so I gain about $400 in usable income back.  I've been retired from the Army for 25 years, and until a few years ago, I never needed an alarm clock because the eyes were open at 6 no mater what.  These days sleeping in still means I'm up by 7.   I don't lack for things to occupy my time as I've got projects to do around the property and the house, and this would give me time to do them.  I think my biggest worry is that I've never not worked and I worry that I may not have done the right thing for my family.  My wife,s concern is that I'll become my Grandfather and work myself to death taking care of her.  I've seen too many folks retire and just stop doing anything, then I read about them in the obits.  It's a big step, but we'll get through it.     

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

I retired 9 yrs ago from being a Letter Carrier at Canada Post after 35 yrs, at the age of 55.

I don't know how I found the time to work!

Retire as soon as you can while you still have your health, because money means nothing if you're unable to enjoy living!!!

• Like 3

pwhoever

I retired about a year and a half ago but ended off THAT DAY with a spiral fracture in my right leg that needed a rod put in to fix. So it was a couple months before I got to really enjoy the retirement. For me, I had no problem settling right in and enjoying it. I also retired early at 51 because I was fed up at work and it really wasn't fun anymore. I do miss a lot of the folks I worked with but can't say I miss the job or regret pulling the pin. Lucky for me, my wife still has at least 10 more years to go so she has the family plan health insurance. I also retired like some mentioned above so I can still enjoy being able to still do stuff and have finally been able to get way more trips on the bike in. Work quite often got in the way before. Some may remember the NASSIR down in Eureka Springs. I only got to enjoy the first day and night there before getting called back to work...

Monkeytrucker

Go ahead and retire.  You will find out a job is a lot easier than the Honey Do list and all of the others that say "since you are retired now could you XXXXX?"

As the Canadian Mail man said, "I don't know how I found time to work."

AZgl1800

Retire NOW, so that you can enjoy it.

at 75, and with my body unable to compensate for high temperatures, I can no longer take those great big long trips by myself.

My daughter bought us a toy hauler, and the bike goes in it, we drive the Suburban and the toy hauler follows us.... when we get there, the bike rolls out the back, and I can take short rides each morning until the temp hits 85* and I am done.

Monkeytrucker
On 1/1/2018 at 11:49 PM, AZgl1800 said:

Retire NOW, so that you can enjoy it.

at 75, and with my body unable to compensate for high temperatures, I can no longer take those great big long trips by myself.

My daughter bought us a toy hauler, and the bike goes in it, we drive the Suburban and the toy hauler follows us.... when we get there, the bike rolls out the back, and I can take short rides each morning until the temp hits 85* and I am done.

Does that make you a "cool old man?"

• Haha 1

wpgfire

What Dusty meant was that he spent 35 years walking around the neighbourhood. :)  Now he rides. ;) 

I find it hard to believe that someone that's got an active lifestyle before retirement wouldn't be able to fill the hours that are freed up in retirement. Like Dusty, not only do I not know how I ever fit work into my life, I wouldn't want to go back. I'm far too busy and having way too much fun. 

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

I thought Dusty was a professional gigolo because he said he went to peoples home and delivered "The Mail."  Then I found out he was a mailman.  At the risk of getting him to send me suspicious packages I think that after he retired he started riding around the neighborhood he was riding a Gold Wing.  Now he will probably be getting more exercise pushing his bike....

Calm down Dusty.  I am just giving you a little good natured ribbing.  You have a nice looking 2 wheeler there and with all of those lights you should be able to be seen.  It will look good in parades.

• Haha 1

rcameron

I retired from the City of Holton, Kansas with 28 years of being Street Supt. Prior to that I had 9 years as "Street, Parks and Levee" Supt for the City of Canton, Mo, right on the Mississippi River. 

I was 63 when I retired. I had intended to work until I was at least 65, but after in a matter of 6 months, seeing 3 dear friends pass away (all younger than me), with the last one, I was following Scott and Jeanette on our bikes in Arkansas on our way to Flyone's, tragedy struck that shook me to the bone. When I got home, I told Cindy that if there was any way possible, I was going to retire, because tomorrow is not promised and we were still healthy and we needed to begin on that bucket list, before the bucket was tipped over.

Haven't looked back with ABSOLUTELY No Regrets. Yes, I have my retirement from Kansas, a small retirement from Missouri and our Social Security we are certainly not flush with money, but, we are together and are so busy with our family, I enjoy fishing, camping and of Course riding the wing we are truly blessed.

"Do It If You Can" is my motto and don't look back.

I have so many people ask me "Don't you get bored?" My response is simple. "Not in a heartbeat". You make retirement want you want it to be. I am always doing something, if it is nothing more than going outside and picking up sticks in the yard, I make it what I want it to be and I don't want to be bored so I am not. It is more of a mindset than anything else. 

Whew............. I guess I may be a little passionate about this subject.  Soooo....... just my 2 cents worth..... Back to your regularly scheduled program...........  "Kick Winter In The A**"................

• Like 1

Halfling

I so agree with Rex! I think he has the right idea. I retired "early" (before 65) and have been plagued with financial issues born from that decision but I am in hopes that most of that is behind us and the bucket list awaits. 2018 will continue to be tight but I'm thinking (and praying) that 2019 and beyond will shape up pretty good.

• Like 1

jobe05

I have just under 4 years to go........  Fortunate for me, poor Becca has 9 years to go.......

I say that because I can retire but and we can still run the company for added income during that income adjustment period.

When she retires, we sell the company, pay everything off and have a few dollars left over to do a little traveling with.

Thats the plan anyway.......   

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I semi retired at the age of 57, not due to any wonderful retirement programs, but due to the MDs saying your work days are done.  I officially retired at the age between 65 and 66 when a letter from SS said you are now retired. 

The Bride worked until she was 70.  She liked her job but when Mike Pence and Mitch Daniels cut mental health care funds by major amounts her job became not a happy place to work.  She started the exodus of workers by retiring.  Three years later there is not one person there with more than 3 years of tenure.

AZgl1800

My accident pushed me out, Dec 2010....

so here I am right at 8 years plus.....

I do what I want, when I want, be that taking care of the yard, or helping folks with a computer, or taking a ride on the bike.

but I keep my mind busy every day.

I'm 75 this past March, and am seeing folks in the news that are keeling over that are much younger than me... that is just plum scary.

Mountain Rider

A close friend keeps pushing me in that direction for the same reasons.  He said these very things, to many friends not there any more.  I've seen it too, of the 121 folks I graduated High School with, there's only about 48 of us left.  I told the boss I'd stick it out through this season, but if the back and knees keep getting worse, I'm calling it, so we'll see.

• Like 1

rcameron
7 hours ago, Mountain Rider said:

A close friend keeps pushing me in that direction for the same reasons.  He said these very things, to many friends not there any more.  I've seen it too, of the 121 folks I graduated High School with, there's only about 48 of us left.  I told the boss I'd stick it out through this season, but if the back and knees keep getting worse, I'm calling it, so we'll see.

You won't regret it! All the best......

Monkeytrucker

My high school graduating class has only lost 2 in 56 years.  We graduated with 13.5 in our class.  One girl was pregnant and our class kept her secret because she would have been kicked out before graduation if the school knew.