Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• NASR 12 Hosts, Location and Dates Have Been Announced!!!
  • See The NASR 12 Threads For Additional Information!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Monkeytrucker

NAGF 6th Annual Illinois M&G Sep 14 - 16, 2018

175 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Nancy and I are home safe, we got here at about 7:30 and just finished unpacking some of the essentials! What a great weekend with good friends. The weather was near perfect and the food provided was simply awesome! Thanks to all involved in putting on another fabulous event!!! Can't wait for number 7!!!

• Like 4

AaronzDad

We made it home safe and sound without anything terribly untoward happening on the ride up.
I tried to get the bike weighed at a CAT scale when we fueled up but it was too light to register. Dang. I'm sure I'm way over GVWR on that bike with all the gear loaded.
Hit a pothole on a ramp somewhere around Rockford that jarred the bike hard enough to screw up my mirrors - and those things are TIGHT! For a moment I was worried about the wheel and tire condition. Dang again.

I'm already looking for better camping equipment for next year. I think Grace has the camping bug now and we'll probably be doing more of this. We'll have to put together some more weekenders just for whoever can make it. There's hundreds of places to camp here in the midwest. I think we need to try 'em out.

Thanks to John and Nancy and Jack and Beth and everyone who put this together and made it work. It was fantastic meeting everyone!

• Like 2

Halfling
10 hours ago, AaronzDad said:

Thanks to John and Nancy and Jack and Beth and everyone who put this together and made it work. It was fantastic meeting everyone!

Just for the record, Nancy & I were just grateful attendees at this awesome event! The Illinois folks get all the credit!!!

Halfling

I created an album and added a few pics for the NAGF Illinois M&G in our gallery. You can find it here:

RHalbur

Made it home safe and sound today after staying a  night and visiting kids and grand girls. Had a great time even with very warm temperatures.

• Like 4

Monkeytrucker

Getting home is great but the grass had to be mowed.  That dry, tough grass that makes you ride in a continuous dust cloud.  Also picked a couple bushels of really sweet apples after we got back from the MD today. Will peel. slice and core them this evening.

Set a new low today.  For the diabetics on here I found a new low. A1C is 4.9.  Thought 5.0 was as low as one could go.  What is amazing that this was after the cookies, fudge and great food at the M&G.

Again, what a great weekend.

• Like 1

kiptap
(edited)
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, pwhoever said:

I guess Kiptap didnt think there was enough excitement going on...

Of course you realize you just opened up another front. ⚔️  I bet you were the one honking the horn.

Eh Tu Monkeytrucker, hahahah

IMG_4969.JPG.f764f4e4c92266e13db6f91b67ef8776.jpg

Edited by kiptap
  • Haha 1

AaronzDad

Paul it looks like you're falling into your shirt! :Face-Raspberry:

kiptap
1 hour ago, AaronzDad said:

Paul it looks like you're falling into your shirt! :Face-Raspberry:

Oh swell, everyone's a comedian, hahahaha

Buckfarrack
On 9/16/2018 at 8:24 PM, Mysticfour said:

Glad everyone had fun, just wish I could have been there, hopefully next year as long as I get a bike back

darn,glad you both are ok Ronnie.I hope the dumba$$ wasn't on a cell phone that rammed you.There just isn't an excuse for this.THAT is why my wife doesn't want to ride anymore,after all these years of travel this country,we are selling them both.Not too long ago,a very close friend got rammed for the SECOND TIME on his Harley by a dumba$$ on her phone.I got to witness him laying in the ditch 60' from the bike and car.

Just glad y'all are ok.

Buckfarrack

As usual,had a good time at the (#6) NAGF IL M&G. It was great seeing everybody,also, a few new faces.Hope they all enjoyed the Meet and will try to be back next year.

Thank you Jack & Beth and Carl for taking the reins and organizing this years event.It sure made me look lazy.LoL

ArizonaDad,nice meetin y'all,and if you are looking for an Aspen Classic MC camper,i may have one for sale  if Mikey doesn't take it.

It's a 2014 and is Black and Orange.It's the one on the cover of the Aspen brochure.Helluva buy at 2500.

We are selling everything and headed to Arizona for a while fulltiming RV,but have a base camp in southern IL

to come back to.

Stay safe all.So good meeting and seeing y'all again.

Rod n Donna

Mysticfour
2 hours ago, Buckfarrack said:

darn,glad you both are ok Ronnie.I hope the dumba$$ wasn't on a cell phone that rammed you.There just isn't an excuse for this.THAT is why my wife doesn't want to ride anymore,after all these years of travel this country,we are selling them both.Not too long ago,a very close friend got rammed for the SECOND TIME on his Harley by a dumba$$ on her phone.I got to witness him laying in the ditch 60' from the bike and car.

Just glad y'all are ok.

That's what we were thinking,  he was probably playing with phone,  he was stopped as we were and he said he thought he saw us take off out of the corner of his eye,  but we didn't move 

• Confused 1

Mysticfour

The insurance called me to let me know that the bike is totalled today, offered for me to buy the salvage but didn't have the cost figures for that yet. I have nowhere to take it if I wanted even though it starts and runs 

Monkeytrucker
6 minutes ago, Mysticfour said:

The insurance called me to let me know that the bike is totalled today, offered for me to buy the salvage but didn't have the cost figures for that yet. I have nowhere to take it if I wanted even though it starts and runs 

Ronnie, it would make a great coffee table, maybe a lamp stand.   Rent a storage unit big enough for the bike and space for you to work on it.  A professor at SIU had 3 garage sized units side by side and with a long term contract they even let him make openings between the units.  It was his art studio.  

AaronzDad
22 minutes ago, Mysticfour said:

That's always tempting but usually turns into more work than it's worth.
Is the frame twisted, did they know or tell you? If it's just  body damage that would certainly be worth salvaging.

Hopefully the driver has good insurance.

Mysticfour

The only thing I was told is totalled,  the only plastic touches in accident was the lower bags, nothing else that I could see was hurt, I am sure rear frame is probably tweaked,  it might be worth it if I wind up with another 1500 and need my accessories that didn't get damaged,  tpms, armrests, cupholders and a couple other things,  motor was good,  sounds good anyhow 

Indianawantsme

You might be able to take some of accessories off.  Insurance let me when my 83 was totalled. 

Rearended and shoved into my sons van.  Glad I had a big bike to absorb the hit. Bruises and  bad whiplash and lucky nothing else. 

pwhoever

If the impact was only in the rear and nothing forward of the saddlebags was impacted, it is definitely rebuildable. The thing with the 1500's is that the saddlebags are only sold new in individual pieces and not as a complete unit. What that means is that the individual pieces priced together comes in over $1000 each. And I can pretty much guarantee that the saddlebag sub frame was tweaked and needs to be replaced. No way to straighten it perfectly so a new one is required. It's a hard part to locate so the insurance company might have difficulty pricing it but it is located in the Engine Guard section

Saddlebag Stay

That part comes in just over $500.  so just looking at the cost for the saddlebags and the subframe, it's enough to justify totalling out the bike. Not sure how your trunk faired in the accident. Your rear wheel and drivetrain is probably fine as it is protected. You wont know if anything got damaged until you pull it apart. There is a chance that the mufflers were pushed forward a bit causing damage to the exhaust chamber but I'm betting that the rack probably protected them as well. And you should make sure they include the cost of the rack and hitch replacement as the rack was definitely damaged and the hitch was most likely tweaked as it mounts to the sub frame.

As far as rebuilding, I was in a similar situation and got rear ended on my 1997 GL1500 on the Dan Ryan while moving at 45 mph in a construction zone during the big 2 year reconstruction project years ago. The insurance company gave me a check for all the parts needed to fix which was only the saddlebags, the center panel and I was able to convince them to include the sub frame in the estimate even though they never physically saw it. They didnt total it. I was then able to get a set of good condition saddlebags and center panel that were takeoffs from a trike conversion for about $200 but bought a brand new saddlebag stay (sub frame). I took my time during disassembly paying attention to all the wiring and parts. Over the next month or so, I began installing all the new and replacement parts and it was good as new with money left over which I justified as labor that I did. The bike ran, handled , and looked just like it did before the accident. I still have it but haven't driven it in at least 2 years.

Beth

Finally got a chance to settle back in at home and catch up on the pictures and posts, which I enjoyed so much...well, except the recap of Ronnie's and inability to make it. 

Gary and John, the pictures are terrific!  Rod and Donna, so glad you made it.  Steve, as always, yes we were so glad to see you!  Don, sorry you had to leave early but happy you reported nothing serious.  Jim, John, Nancy - we always appreciate you taking the long drive to be with us.  Mike, we make so much racket but you still didn't wake up so we could say 'until next time'.  And hats off to everyone else who helped, showed up, etc!!!

Even though we may be small in number, it always seems like a massive crowd to me.  I think that is because the conversation is always so full....full of some truth, full of a lot of bull probably...but full for sure.

Thanks to all who took some left-overs, my eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach.

To any who may be wondering, we are on for the same location and time frame next year.  I'm thinking Rod's pickin skills will be advanced and we'll have round-the-campfire singing!  As Gary would say....approximately 365 days!!

Until next time...or Galena in June.........stay safe out there, a lot of crazy people on the road!

Beth

• Like 2

Mysticfour

I think I have my next bike all lined up,  just waiting for the papers I need to sign to get my check released , most likely buying the 02 listed for sale in the forums 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

If Mike could sleep thru all of the racket then next year we need to set a cannon off next to his camper.  Then duck.  Maybe if Ronnie is there she will have him up and going in time to wave bye at everyone.

Anyway one puts it it was a great time.

• Haha 1

RHalbur

What are the dates for 2019 get together?

Monkeytrucker
On 9/21/2018 at 8:47 AM, Beth said:

To any who may be wondering, we are on for the same location and time frame next year.  I'm thinking Rod's pickin skills will be advanced and we'll have round-the-campfire singing!  As Gary would say....approximately 365 days!!

Until next time...or Galena in June.........stay safe out there, a lot of crazy people on the road!

Beth

Sounds like a good idea on the date till next year.  Actually it is less than 365 days now.

Galaxyhunter
9 hours ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Sounds like a good idea on the date till next year.  Actually it is less than 365 days now.

Year three was the last year we held it in October,  Then it has been basically the second week end in September. 

The same weekend next year would be,   Friday 13th -& Saturday 14th.   Since Gary & Jack started this event, One or both should decide on the date.

Monkeytrucker
3 hours ago, Galaxyhunter said:

Year three was the last year we held it in October,  Then it has been basically the second week end in September. 

The same weekend next year would be,   Friday 13th -& Saturday 14th.   Since Gary & Jack started this event, One or both should decide on the date.

Since Rod passed the mantle to Beth and Jack I think my vote is of much less power.  I cast my vote for the great weekend of September 13-14-15, 2019.  Maybe we can have a Friday the 13th party at the restaurant.  If we would have the same waitress it just might be a real interesting party.