Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
m2102

The knee

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

m2102

Earlier this year I posted about needing my knee replaced. The time is finally here. The big day is Monday the 20th. Going to have it done in Peoria at st Francis hospital. As it winds down to the day I have been careful not to let anything prevent me from getting my new knee. Won't know till Friday when I have to be at hospital. Total length of my stay will be a whole 2 days at most. Gonna be a long next 4 days.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

youngnbald

Good luck!

Halfling

Keep us posted Mike! We'll be watching this close that's for sure. From what I understand it's all about the rehab so mind your doctors and get back on your feet as soon as you can!

m2102

Thanks for well wishes. Been going over all the papers they gave me making sure I haven't overlooked anything. Got a second to none post op caregiver. Terri has gotten pretty good with all my hospital stays and recoveries. Don't think anyone else could put up with me.

One thing I've always wanted to do while waking up in recovery is ask "what year is it? Who am i, where am i". Only thing I been able to do was take a swing at a nurse and pull my breathing tube out.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Monkeytrucker

No grabbing the nurses like G. H. W. B.  when the photographer says "Says Cheese."  Do those rehab exercises religiously,  Wishing the best to you.

m2102

Thanks Gary I'll try and remember that. I'm kinda looking forward to rehab. No pain no gain. It'll be a good hurt.

m2102

Well the knee is done. It's iced down and waiting for therapy to get here to see how I manage walking. 

OnaWingandaPrayer

Follow instructions and dont over do the rehab. Slow and steady gets good results.

m2102

Thanks all. With age I have learned to do as Dr tells me, or as best as I can. I say it every year it seems like. That we want to ride the wheels off the trike. But very year something happens and the miles aren't possible. We're hoping this coming year is the one.

m2102

Well therapy was impressed on how well I walked with walker. Aside from a little swollen from surgery I got around real good.Little more therapy this morning and Dr said I could go home. Im anxious to get home.

m2102

Theirs always one aspect you end up waiting on. Seen all but physical therapy. After them it go home time. Been waiting all morning. Got pain pills ordered but will give them to me on way out. 

I am ready to leave. Home is calling.

m2102

Finally home. Never new 2 days could be so long. Dr asked how my pain level was when I saw him this morning. Said it was about 2. He said good, it's going to get worse by Thursday or Friday. Important thing is we are home. 

When I went for first walk the nurse had hard time keeping up with me. Said i was doing great walking.

DougW

My sis in law had her knees replaced.  One thing they told her was to be sure to take the pain mess on schedule to keep the pain from starting.  She said she missed a dose and had a hard time getting it back under control.  

It does depend on what your DR says but following orders is usually the best thing to do.

m2102

As I get older I have come to the conclusion the Dr knows better than i do, lol.  hardest part of keeping up with the pain meds is going to be overnight. Norco is 1-2 every 2-4 hours. Tramadol 1-2 every 6 hours. Pain this morning is high, 9-10. When I take the ace bandage off this morning I hope it helps to relieve pressure and pain.

Monkeytrucker

Hey man, you said no pain no gain.  Well you must be gaining with a 9-10 level.  Wishing you the best and do the exercises religiously. 

pwhoever

Be very careful using the opioids. They do what they are supposed to do but are evil. I was using them for awhile when I recovered from my knee surgeries but I made the mistake of having them done 6 weeks apart. The first one wasn't quite ready when the second one was done. I was in quite a bit of pain and began using the maximum "allowed" dose. I went through the supply pretty quick.  I caught a lot of grief from the doctor's office about that and argued that I was only using them per the prescription directions. Then when I was ready to stop using them, I just stopped. I had all kinds of withdrawal pains. Uncomfortable feeling in my chest, insomnia, etc... I recognized immediately what the problem was. Luckily I had some left over so for a couple days, I took only half the recommended dose by cutting pills in half. Then the next couple days I cut the halves in half and stretched the times between doses. I was successful in weaning myselg off them. Finally I was able to just stop taking them. I learned my lesson that time. I have been very leery of taking them since then.  If needed, for various surgeries, I will still use them but am very careful about not overdoing them.

Monkeytrucker

When I had my hip done early this year they were pushing those pills like crazy.  I should have got every bottle I could have.  Could have sold them on the street and bought a new gold wing.  I really do not like pain pills.  Do not like to feel high or in la la land.

Mike be careful and follow the rehab instructions,

Mike I am glad your pill cutting worked out.

mowerdoc

Glad to here all went well 

The Bride

Hey Mike, do not force your Bride to crack you over your head with your cane when you do not want to do exercises.

m2102

No problem there. I'm anxious to start therapy. Its Been A Week Already.

AZgl1800

just got home from visiting with my aunt who is 85 now.

she is having knee problems and told the doctor she is not going to have the replacement surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. She has been told that the procedure usually causes a lot of arthritis, and she already has some of that... don't want to make it worse.

Power Guy

My wife had her right knee done a little over a year ago. They scanned her bad knee and built a 3D replacement.  After all was said and done, she gets around just fine.  Wish you well.

Monkeytrucker

I am waiting for that cushion that can be inserted thru a very small hole.  Supposed the same material as contact lens.  Just will have to put up with people complaining about my knee popping while walking.

Monkeytrucker

Hey Mike, have you accidentally kicked the therapist in the behind yet for demanding just one more leg lift?

:cant-believe-it-sm:

m2102

She can tell I've done my limit from my face in pain. I must admit that I have been slack on exercises they gave me but I justify it by how much walking i do. I' m  glad i had it done but I really don't think I would go thru it again. Gary I got one more original knee left. Curious to see how that new procedure is for you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,