Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • Click on the NAGF Online Store!
Halfling

Time To Winterize The Aspen

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Looks like it's time to winterize the Aspen. No garage so I have to get it up off the ground, maybe take wheels off, wrap it up good and tight, guarding against moisture somehow.  I hate winter, even in Tennessee...

Dusty Boots

I have my Sentry stored in my 10' x 14' aluminum shed, out of the weather.

I backed it in so the tires were on some 2 x 6 boards, dropped the stabilizer jacks and jacked it up to take most of the weight off of the suspension. I also removed the tongue so as to give me more space inside the shed for other items needing storage.

17903625_10155288069240555_3603379324226

• Like 1

AZgl1800

I just throw a tarp over it to keep the rain off the trailer body, the tires aren't going to be hurt sitting on the ground.

They will never last long enough to weather crack anyway.

Monkeytrucker

We put ours in the dog house.  No Kidding, a Dog House.  It was one Estella's sister had for her St. Bernards.  I just opened up the sides of the door, re-roofed it with G-Rib metal and just made a 2' longer porch over the opening that covers the extended tongue.

Maybe some day I will post a photo.  We are still hoping to make a trip to Land Between the Lakes and camp a couple nights and go see the great Christmas light display at Patti's 1880 Village.  More lights than you could count in 100 years. 

Halfling
1 minute ago, Monkeytrucker said:

We are still hoping to make a trip to Land Between the Lakes and camp a couple nights and go see the great Christmas light display at Patti's 1880 Village.  More lights than you could count in 100 years. 

Keep us posted on this Gary, Nancy and I "may" be interested in joining you if the temps are manageable!

Monkeytrucker

Will do.  We are watching the weather closely and in fact talked with the home health lady, my "Second Wife" about us skipping out on her.  Big thing is she has to make up missed time.  But then that usually means she will be her for 6 hours on Fridays.  Good excuse for a nice lunch.

Monkeytrucker

Hillman Ferry Campground south of Grand Rivers closes at the end of Nov.  Patti's 1880 Settlement lights are running now to Jan. 13.  

Halfling

2.5 to 3 hour drive for us...not bad.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

We usually get the handicapped site in A loop next to the shower house and rest rooms.  It is an all concrete pad and we could put both of our campers on it.  Senior pass makes it about $18 a night and with 2 on it, well you do the math.  Patti's has a fantastic restaurant I am told but the two times we have tried to eat there they were booked solid.

Monkeytrucker

Same drive time for us.  We usually ride the bike but have if the weather is really cool drove the Fiat.

Monkeytrucker

Some great drives drive down thru the LBL all the way into TN.  Short drive over to Paris and the Eiffel tower, Fort Donnelson if you like civil war historical sites,  old living farm in LBL, Elk and Bison reserve (not open to motorcycles), several old time spots on smaller roads in LBL, lots of old cemeteries if you are into looking at old grave stones,  and  just a fun place to kick back.  Real short drive to the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY.

Who knows, Buck and Donna' might be tearing up the OHV trails in the LBL.  

Halfling

Dang, you know I should really know better than to even suggest things without checking with the "boss" first. Weekends all covered up this month... :cry:

Monkeytrucker

Well just step up and tell her you are the boss and then run like the rest of us much lower ranked husbands would do in the same situation.

Family comes first and there is always a first camp next spring.  :agreed-with-sign:

Monkeytrucker

We decided to take the Aspen north at Christmas.  By doing that we forgot to take the plastic bottles full of water out of it.  So we have to do that before they can thaw.  Sounds like tomorrows project. 

AZgl1800

for my Toy Hauler, I pulled the drain plug on the water heater, and hooked up the air line to hose bib adapter,

hit the air line with 50 psi of air until the tank quit blubbering.

then I Opened each faucet and blew them out one by one....

called it Job 1 done, and forgot about having to pump anti-freeze thru the water lines this winter.

DougW
2 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

for my Toy Hauler, I pulled the drain plug on the water heater, and hooked up the air line to hose bib adapter,

hit the air line with 50 psi of air until the tank quit blubbering.

then I Opened each faucet and blew them out one by one....

called it Job 1 done, and forgot about having to pump anti-freeze thru the water lines this winter.

Did you remember to hit the toilet flush while the air pressure was on?  I see a lot of people on the RV forums who forget that.  Also, does your camper have the outside shower? Those are easy to forget as well.

AZgl1800
3 hours ago, DougW said:

Did you remember to hit the toilet flush while the air pressure was on?  I see a lot of people on the RV forums who forget that.  Also, does your camper have the outside shower? Those are easy to forget as well.

Yep, blew out the outside shower, and the "toilet" is one of those flapper valve things.... I made sure that the water valve was open on the toilet wash hose, and it blew out into the whole place, I opened the valve on it, but forgot to unhook it :( and place it down inside the toilet itself.... didn't blow much though, all the other lines had already been cleared, no more than maybe a half teacup of water on the floor at most.

There are two drain lines hanging straight down below the bathroom, I open both of those and blew air until they quit spitting.

That didn't leave much in the other lines to worry about.

Ghost Rider 2

I am a service tech at a RV dealer ship.  Antifreeze threw the lines.  I do hundreds of dollars in repairs every spring from those who just blow them out with air.  Air does not blow water out of uneven lines (low spots) and it does not go threw the water pump from the air blown threw city inlet.  Water in pump is about a $125 freeze up.  Why take the chance.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

I used to blow out the 12v pumps and spray wands and when we would go to use them in the spring we would find where a tiny bit of water got into a spot that the air did not get.  New wands and even pumps.  A little cheap RV antifreeze is cheap compared to broken pumps and wands.

I even blow out the pressure washer line with compressed air and then fire up the pump and using one of the little 12v pumps to feed RF antifreeze into the high pressure pump when I see a nice pink spray I know I do not have to worry.

Now the only thing we need to get ready is the bedding and bring the back up electric heater.  I doubt if it is going to be shorts and a tee shirt weather up north at Christmas time.  Of course Galaxyhunter will still be wearing his shorts.

AZgl1800

Yup,

will have to investigate my RV rig when warmer weather arrives.

Whatever will be, is already done.   Overnight temps have been 20, 21, 24 for the last few days.

I checked with www.AdventureRV.net and they have the replacement water pump for $44

There is a list of about 20 of them, priced all the way up to Heaven's Gate.

I will NOT take it to a dealer to have it fixed, if needed, my knees still know how to kneel down onto the mechanic's knee pad.

http://www.adventurerv.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=water+pump&osCsid=i2lonu9l4286rljqm08m4hhas0

AZgl1800
23 hours ago, Ghost Rider 2 said:

I am a service tech at a RV dealer ship.  Antifreeze threw the lines.  I do hundreds of dollars in repairs every spring from those who just blow them out with air.  Air does not blow water out of uneven lines (low spots) and it does not go threw the water pump from the air blown threw city inlet.  Water in pump is about a $125 freeze up.  Why take the chance.

I had totally forgotten that my first efforts at winterizing the Toy Hauler was the expensive way.

I bought about 20 gallons of RV antifreeze and poured it in the Fresh Water tank.... that puppy is huge! there are two of them, at 120 gallons each... so, that 20 gallons didn't go to far.... but, I did at least have the presense of mind to pull the drain plugs on the tanks before the RV antifreeze went in.

As this rig is brand new to me, and I have not winterized one since 1978 when I used to own a Yellowstone 26' TT....

I looked at the Water Heater and there is NO bypass on it..... crap!!! now what??? I wanted to drain that WT tank, but the plug had never been removed, not once in its' life, that was miserably evident by the 1/4 inch thick coating of rust all over the plug.... kicked that crap off, and tried to use a 12 inch crescent, almost broke the crescent wrench.... welll crap, I decided I would just pump the antifreeze into all of the other lines until they ran pink, and then I would just pump all of the remaining antifreeze into the WT tank.

that almost worked pretty good, it never got as dark pink as the other faucets, but at least it did turn pinkish, kind of.....

that took care of things for the first freeze, then we went down to Kingston, OK to visit my aunt and uncle over Thanksgiving week....

There, we hooked up to the water spigot and flushed all the lines until they ran clear.

Never did try to use the 12 volt water pump...... and I just remembered that this morning when I went out to check on the pump to see if it was frozen and cracked open??

Well, look at what I found setting in the suction line???  bright pink RV antifreeze....

sometimes, even dumb bells who dont know what they are doing, can luck out.  LOL

RV Water Pump 1200xy.png

Ghost Rider 2

Next year instead of filling fresh tank.  Pull off the suction side of the pump ( the one you have in picture.  Stick another 2 or 3 foot hose on the pump.  Stick hose in gallon jug of  antifreeze you can run it on just a couple of gallons.  may take 5  or 6 if no water heater by pass.  But still much cheaper than 20 gal in tank.  But that pink in the line will save any problem next year.

Any one with rv problem can always email or PM me.

AZgl1800

Jerry,

thanks for that offer and advice.

I had already decided that next spring I will install a wye connection for doing just that.

Then, in the picture I just sent, I saw the camera found that it is super easy to just turn that twist off and remove the existing suction line.

I will make up that new suction line with its' own twist on connector to the water pump.

On the WT tank, I am going to buy enough connectors and 1/4 turn valves to make up a manifold so that I can bypass that easily.

Question?

The plug that I finally bought a socket wrench for, it has an anode on it?

My first wish was to replace that with a 1/4 turn valve and put a short hose on it to just let it drain out onto the ground.

But, every hot water tank I have seen, they all have anodes, so I'm guessing not putting an anode back in there might be a bad idea?   We will only use the rig a few times a year, just how important would it be to put that anode back?

it needs a new one, the old one is half eaten through.

Ghost Rider 2

Suburban water heaters need anode rod.  They have a steel tank.  If you have an Atwood heater it is an aluminum tank and you can get by without one.    If rod is half eaten it is working.  Once it gets down to the 1/8" steel rod in center then u replace.  Time it last depends on water that is being put in.   Well water eats them pretty quick.  If you stay a campground that has really good water they last for years. 

• Like 1

AZgl1800

It is a Suburban model, the only thing that was with the trailer with the Atwood brand, was the electric tongue jack. and it was miserably insufficient.

I just replaced it with a brand new Odyssey 4000 jack that I found on sale for 33% of its' retail price. 

I figured I could afford $143 with free shipping :)

neat thing about that new jack, it did not even change pitch, nor slow down when it picked up the load of the truck's rear end... just kept on going until I could push the Equalizer bars over the brackets, pretty as you please.  the jack shown is the new one.  the old one will be moved to the 18' enclosed cargo trailer.

Two birds for the price of one stone. not bad.

EQ Bracket.jpg

Tongue Jack.jpg

Suburban and Trailer.jpg