Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Sign in to follow this  
Geordiemuppet

Remembrance

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Geordiemuppet

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, the First World War ended. Since then, 11th November or Armistice Day, has been enshrined in the memories of the nation as a day to pause and remember those who have given their lives for the peace and freedom we enjoy today.

The Royal British Legion has always supported the traditional Remembrance Sunday services and the customary Two Minute Silence on that day. As the national custodian of Remembrance, the Legion also believes that when 11 November (Armistice Day) falls on days other than Sundays - on working days - Remembrance should be brought into the everyday life of the Nation on those days as well. The revival of support for observance of this demonstrates that, despite the passing of the years and the declining number of veterans, the nation still feels strongly about Remembrance.

Remembrance transcends all boundaries. The Legion seeks a small yet important individual and collective act, a rare moment when the Nation can stand together and reflect on the price of freedom. That price is still being paid. More than 12,000 British Servicemen and women have been killed or injured on active service since 1945.

'If we are to maintain our peace and freedom, we must always remember.'

For the fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We shall remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon

• Like 4

Mountain Rider

Well said, Sir, well said.  My Grandfather and Great Uncle both fought in that war.  Both returned home but remained quiet about much of what they endured.  They both passed a number of years ago.  My Grandfather passed on the few things he kept, to me, when I retired from the Army.  Those included a captured German saber, his collar brass, and a book with pictures and stories about the men in his unit.

People always say "we'll remember" or "never forget", but it seems to always fall to those of us who have served or truly put forth the effort, to keep those memories alive.  To many of those special days are allowed to slip by simply because they fall on a work day.  Keeping the masses engaged in the process that maintains those memories means those who gave all are remembered a bit longer, and what they stood for not forgotten.

From our side of the pond to yours, I salute all who fought and died in the war to end all wars.  Now, if only today's generations would learn the lessons of the past and remember.  Maybe the world would start to be the better place it should have been.

Sincerely, SFC David W. Hanna, United States Army, retired (Mountain Rider)

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Never forgetting should be the largest deterrence to future wars.  

Sadly the people who thrust us into new wars have not experienced war themselves or in their families, or have political or monetary gains in mind  or just taking troops into harms way just for the glory of war.  

My father once told me "there is no glory in war, only death and destruction."

In the remembrance of armistice day we look back on the "war to end all wars" that ended on 11-11-1918 with the sad realization that just 21 short years later the world would be at war again and England would again be on the point.

During the Second World War Winston Churchill said "This is England's finest hour" and that statement could be back dated to 1914 and be true.  The horrific bombing the British  have suffered in both wars made Winnie's statement very graphic.

I once read this quote from some military officer who my memory fails me to his name.  "To not honor all of those on both sides who died in battle is to not honor yourself."  So may we honor all of those who served and died for their country.  They all were their Mother's child.

May the silence on the 11th day of the 11th month and at the 11th hour be heard so loudly that all leaders will step back from the brink this world is facing.

Respectfully submitted

Gary

• Like 1

Geordiemuppet

Christine and I have the Honour of receiving tickets to the Festival of Remembrance on the evening of Saturday 11th November this year. Always attended by the Legion's patron, Her Majesty the Queen.

The room normally gets dusty when we watch it on TV so being there will be an experience.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,