Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Halfling

Sticky Notes, What Are They?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

There are TWO different kinds of Sticky Notes. One is a Global Sticky Note designed to be used by Administrators in the Admin Control Panel (ACP). The other is the Personal Sticky Note that is designed to be used by anyone. The Personal Sticky Note has permissions just like everything else on the forum. CURRENTLY, ONLY MODERATORS have permission to use the Personal Sticky Note.

Global Sticky Notes (ACP)  (This is what is posted in the front end for Guests to see that encourages them to login or sign up AND it is also what was used to display the SE M&G Sticky Note to all Members once logged in.) *This is for Admins only.

• Display up to 10 admin based global sticky notes to your members
  • Choose what user groups can see the sticky notes
  • Add a signature (username and avatar) to the bottom of each sticky note allowing members to see who wrote it, as a clickable link to said profile
  • Choose the color for each of the 10 available Global Sticky Notes
  • Choose from 9 different screen positions to show each individual sticky note
  • Set a expiry time and date for each sticky note with a option to just show it until the user dismisses it

Personal Sticky Notes (MEMBERS)

• Allow chosen user groups to send personal sticky notes to other members. CURRENTLY, ONLY MODERATORS have permission to use the Personal Sticky Note.
  • Members can receive an unlimited amount of sticky notes
  • All sticky notes are dismissable
  • All personal sticky notes will automatically add the username and avatar, unless you have selected in the ACP to allow anonymous sticky notes (NOT CURRENTLY ENABLED)
  • Personal sticky notes will display the time the note was sent to the member, for example "just now", " 5 minutes ago", "4 hours ago", "16th July" and so on
  • Selected Members can either send personal sticky notes to members by their hover card or via their forums topics and you can also send them via the users create menu

The most important thing for Members to remember about Sticky Notes is that they CAN BE DISMISSED by clicking on the "X" in the upper right-hand corner. If this does not work for you, PLEASE enter a support post in the New Software Support, Questions and Suggestions section.

Note: we have had one report from a member that suggests that Sticky Notes cannot be dismissed unless your browser is in full screen mode.

DougW

John, since you used that font I can't read what it is you wrote.  As far as what the sticky notes are...pain the butt as far as I can see.  The thing covers part of the page and I have to close it to get to what I want to see.  Almost as irritating as a pop up ad.

Halfling
10 minutes ago, DougW said:

John, since you used that font I can't read what it is you wrote.  As far as what the sticky notes are...pain the butt as far as I can see.  The thing covers part of the page and I have to close it to get to what I want to see.  Almost as irritating as a pop up ad.

Ouch! OK, changed the font, are you telling me that you CAN'T DISMISS the note by clicking on the "X"???

AZgl1800

It keeps coming back.

I dismissed it last night, and today it came back again.

and again, I am forced to go Full Screen in order for the 'X' to become an active hotspot.

IMO, the Sticky Notes like that thing, is a real big PITA....

A thread to that effect should be all that is needed, we don't need a huge big overlay that prevents me from viewing the threads....

from my perspective, it is a huge irritation.

Halfling
47 minutes ago, AZgl1800 said:

It keeps coming back.

I dismissed it last night, and today it came back again.

and again, I am forced to go Full Screen in order for the 'X' to become an active hotspot.

IMO, the Sticky Notes like that thing, is a real big PITA....

A thread to that effect should be all that is needed, we don't need a huge big overlay that prevents me from viewing the threads....

from my perspective, it is a huge irritation.

Your opinion is noted, I ask that you give it a chance for a bit before labeling it a PITA. The intent is for it to appear once and be gone just as a reminder and to drum up participation, which shouldn't be a PITA for anyone.

Although, I suspect that you may have some cookie settings or your browser locked down so tight that it doesn't remember that you have dismissed it. Just did some additional research on this, the Dismissal is only kept in a cookie for Guests. Once you log in the Dismissal flag is set in a database associated with your actual user ID. What that means is that if you are logged in and dismiss a particular Sticky Note then it should stay gone UNLESS I make an edit on the Sticky Note itself which might re-enable it. The fact that it is not staying gone for you is troubling. Any help you can give me in continuing to troubleshoot this is appreciated.

DougW
5 hours ago, Halfling said:

Ouch! OK, changed the font, are you telling me that you CAN'T DISMISS the note by clicking on the "X"???

I can dismiss it, but why should I have to?  

Put the posts in the appropriate forum and not have pop-ups in our face would be fine with me.

Halfling
3 minutes ago, DougW said:

I can dismiss it, but why should I have to?  

Put the posts in the appropriate forum and not have pop-ups in our face would be fine with me.

I get it, the intent is for these to be infrequent and not something that would happen too often. Bringing attention to an event was something I thought might lend itself to this method, also issues or situations within the forum that everyone needs to be aware of. 

brianinpa

Maybe I am late to the game, but I didn't have any problem with it.  I read it, clicked the "X" and it was gone.  When I switched to a different operating system or device ( and I use four: PC, laptop, android, and apple), it is still gone.  I kind of like the sticky more than the banner across the top of the page that never goes away, but that my opinion, and everyone has one...

• Like 1

Halfling

Update: I have made a slight change in what the Guest screen looks like. The Sticky Note has been removed and replaced with a block encouraging Guests to sign up and Members to sign in. It shouldn't get in the way of any ones menu bars, etc. This looks like a better solution to me, I hope you think so too!

• Thanks 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,