Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Just knowing what rock to look under

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Our son is in need of a vehicle so ole dad scrounged under a few rocks and found a cherry 91 Mazda LE-5 pickup.  The owner did not want to fix the brakes.  First pedal push and it goes almost to the floor and the brake warning light comes on. A quick 2nd push and it has full pedal and the light goes out.  I am sure all I will have to do to fix it is adjust the rear drum brakes. Good tires, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, A/C, Radio, 2 door cab with only 89,000 actual miles. I have drooled over the truck for several years and know it pretty well. Got a deal much less than what would be asked in a private sale.  So now I just have to go get it and I even have a pay me later deal on it.  Did put up my JD tractor as collateral.  He does not want the tractor but doing that made me feel better.  Estella says "if our son does not want it she does" as she does not like to drive Frankentruck.

Now our son has to get serious about selling the Astro Van we have up there for him to sell.  Then he will need to arrange a ride down her and drive his "Classic" 27 year old truck home.  His big worry?  Hauling his 130 pound white German Shepard with him.  I told him he can ride in the passenger seat or we will bend a cattle panel into a dog cage for the back of the truck.  I know the dog would love that as what dog does not like sticking their head into the wind.  

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Turned out to be a 90 B2200.  Clutch hydraulics will have to be attended to.  Brakes attended to.  And maybe we will find a red truck under the tree sap when I pressure wash it tomorrow.  Also has a tire out of balance or going bad.  But there are 3 spare tires and wheels in the bed and I have a couple from a old 75 Mazda pickup I had years ago.  Other than the vibration of a tire it drives nice and in 5th gear at 60 mph it seemed like it would cruise like that all day.  So my shop project is lined up for a few days.  Beats trying to figure out what has to be done next.

Monkeytrucker

SOB! and I do not mean that as in tearful.   Took the Mazda wheels to get them balanced today and they told me all 4 rims are bent.  Well out comes the 40 ton porta power and have to tweek them back to straight.  There are some other wheels that will work on the truck but almost all are taller and that little 2.2L motor is about 40 less hp that the 1800s so it needs the smaller diameter.  AIN'T LIFE FUN!!!!

Mountain Rider

Gary, I feel your pain.  Just finished putting a timing belt, front brakes, and a new heater core in my sons PT Cruiser.  By the book, the heater core is 23 hours, by You tube, 3 hours, by my version of the You tube video, 8 hours........but he has heat, brakes, and it runs.  The things we do for our children.  ;)

Monkeytrucker

I got the new clutch master cylinder on and when I gave it a push it had a good feel and it is not even bled yet.  Got the brake master cylinder off and things came to a halt.  The supreme household commander pointed out that tomorrow night it is supposed to get down to 37 degrees.  That means the hanging ferns out in her hosta garden and on the front deck have to come in along with her hibiscus trees.  Since she has even more plants that need to be inside I had to modify the large plant tray by putting casters under it.  Tomorrow I have to build a corner pivot so she can pull the trees out into the room so she can get to the additional plants to water and tend them.

I did get the fender finish color sanded and a coat of clear sprayed on.  Got a run where my patterns crossed so Monday I will have to sand the run out and lay another clear coat.  At least the fender looks more like the rest of the color on the truck.  Hopefully Sunday I will get a chance to put the brake master back on and get all of the systems flushed and bled.  Both had a thick layer of sludge in the bottoms of the tanks.  Need a couple quarts of white lightning to flush them before using brake fluid.