Sign in to follow this  
Halfling

I Think I'll Start Making Bread Again

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

I think I'll start making bread again! Nothing fancy, I think I'll just get out the bread maker we've got stashed away and make a small loaf every once in awhile. My Mother and Grandmother used to make the best bread and yeast rolls ever!!!

AJ1500

throw away the bread maker and do it the old fashioned way, you will like the results a lot better. My wife makes our bread, we rarely buy bread anymore. it's so simple. 3 ingredients

get yourself a couple silicone bread molds and bake them in the oven, Oh it is SO MUCH BETTER

Halfling
3 minutes ago, AJ1500 said:

throw away the bread maker and do it the old fashioned way,

Oh I totally agree HOWEVER I have always had a problem getting the bread to rise.....

Parman
1 minute ago, Halfling said:

Oh I totally agree HOWEVER I have always had a problem getting the bread to rise.....

They make pills to help with the rise issue.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Monkeytrucker

Estella has a bread maker but it does not compare with the bread she makes in a couple of corning ware 5x10 dishes.  While we had zucchini and squash this year she made zucchini bread using the same recipe for both.  We have several in the freezer awaiting resurrection later this year.  Maybe I can get her to crank out some old fashioned potato bread.  A friends mother would make that every so often and he could always invite one friend to supper.  Oh how many friends he would have that day and oh how many "your not my friend today" buddies.  You could smell that bread for blocks.

My mother's younger sister married a guy who was a master trader.  He would buy cars and in fact had a car lot in his later years, buy airplanes but could not fly, and would buy "NOT low end" homes, fix them up while him and his wife lived in them for a few months and then sell them for way more than he paid for the home and repairs.  His secret for selling the homes was have a few candles burning and have bread baking in the oven.  Something about the smell of baking bread has captivated customers for centuries. 

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker
9 minutes ago, Parman said:

OH DON! you are quick with that comeback....

• Haha 1

Parman
22 minutes ago, Monkeytrucker said:

LOL

Mom used to make fresh bread all the time. Haven't had homemade bread in years.

Monkeytrucker

Down in Evansville, IN there is a large bakery that makes bread under several brands.  You do not want to be there early in the morning when all of the trucks are loading out.  I like to ride by there during the day when they are in production.  Mouth watering smells.  There is also a large baking plant south of Vincennes, IN.  I applied for a job there years ago as a millwright but their electronic controller test was chip maker pacific and I just understood what what the actions of the computer chips did.  The guy hiring turned out to be a friend of a guy who while I was back at university I got him to do his job related assignment by going and interviewing some other companies management.  He was a mine safety inspector and when he was talking to one of the office people at a large coal company the manager of the mine happened by and stopped to listen.  He invited Bill into his office for a chat and Bill walked out hired as the head of mine safety for that company.  However that connection did not get me that job at the bakery.

My Mother used to make the world's best cinnamon rolls.  They just dripped with pecans and the extra sugary mixture poured into the rolled up rolls.

AJ1500

I think the trick is to mix up your dough, then let it sit and rise for a couple hours, then refrigerate it. my wife says she has trouble getting it to rise in the oven when it's not been chilled

jobe05
6 hours ago, Parman said:

6 hours ago, Monkeytrucker said:

I suspect Don may have a lot of experience in this area, so it's in the forefront of his mind..........

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

jobe05

I like making my own bread but to be honest, when I can find it, I get the frozen bread dough and keep it in the freezer.  It's easier, cleaner and makes a very good loaf bread.

Or if I want, I thaw it, put it in a bowl, add some nutmeg and cinnamon to it and make donuts in the fryer.......  Awesome!!! 

I also like to make my own pasta......... and sausage (as some of you know) another thread someday.......

Halfling

Finally got some time to give it a try, first up was a typical Italian Loaf...came out excellent! I used our Kitchenaid mixer with dough paddle and I had a warm oven for letting it rise in. 

20171023_171323.jpeg

20171023_171259.jpeg

20171023_172802.jpeg

• Like 1

AJ1500

Looks delishious

:SLOBBER:

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Beautiful loaf and I bet it tastes even better.  

:SLOBBER::SLOBBER:

Both Estella and myself.  Maybe she will get the idea

Halfling

Next up will most likely be yeast rolls, I'd like to try the triple split top like my Grandmother and Mother used to make! Nothing like fresh bread to make the house smell good!

Monkeytrucker
1 hour ago, Halfling said:

Next up will most likely be yeast rolls, I'd like to try the triple split top like my Grandmother and Mother used to make! Nothing like fresh bread to make the house smell good!

Baking bread smells are worth an couple thousand bucks when you are trying to sell a house.  Oh, and a few candles burning to provide the home ambiance.