Sign in to follow this  
DaveO430

So how do they know?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

DaveO430

Sunday I went in Bass pro shop looking for a specific item, didn't buy anything or do anything but gasp at the prices and left. The next day and each day since I have gotten an email from bass pro shop, never before. Makes me wonder what kind of magical spy devises they have in there.

OnaWingandaPrayer

gleaning info from chipped credit cards in your pocket ? not sure how that could get an email addy though.

• Like 1

DaveO430
2 minutes ago, OnaWingandaPrayer said:

gleaning info from chipped credit cards in your pocket ? not sure how that could get an email addy though.

That's the only thing I can figure. Scary ain't it?

How do you react to me reacting to your post? :rolleyes:

Halfling

Is your phone's WiFi turned on?

Monkeytrucker

My vote would be the phone.  Your cell phone is used to track you everywhere.  As you go from place to place your phone keeps contacting different cell towers as you are passed from one to another.  Signal strength into 3 towers can triangulate your position within a very short distance.  Then if you have your WiFi turned on the store's computers via their WiFi know you have graced their doors.

Big brother and all of his commercial minions know all of the tricks.  We do not have smart phones, do not pay out the nose for cell connections and are at a disadvantage.  Everything works thru smart phones.  Home health people wants us to get Lifeline buttons that will work anywhere.  They stop asking when I ask if they will pay for smart phone service for us.  

I have a program on my tablet that looks at WiFi within reach.  It is amazing at the names people name their WiFi units.  Some are really neat, some are definitely off color and some just have the Mfg. name.  One that I find interesting while passing thru Lawrenceville, IL, is FBI Surveillance Van 2.  The shocking thing is how many are not secure. 

DaveO430
2 hours ago, Halfling said:

Is your phone's WiFi turned on?

Yes, I would not have thought they could invade my privacy like that. If I could prove it I would have their butts i a sling.

DougW

The phone knows you were in the store because it saw their wifi.  I think the phone then uses cookies from the web browser to trigger targeted ads.

If you can, clear out the cookies to see if the ads change.

rcameron

Last weekend my Son and his Family were up visiting from Wichita. After one of our meals we were sitting around the kitchen table and discussing options for family vacations for next year. One idea that was brought up was to rent a houseboat on Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas. We have done this in the past 3 times. 

No one did a search or anything it was just a discussion sitting around our table.

Just a little later I went into the other room and got on my laptop and pulled up Facebook. What do I see as the first Ad for a suggested post? Yuuuuup........ Rent a houseboat on Bull Shoals Lake in Beautiful Northern Arkansas. Okay now this is really strange.................

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon::puzzled-smiley-emoticon::STARTLE:

• Confused 1

AZgl1800

Rex,

make sure that Google Voice is turned OFF unless you specically invoke it by touching the Microphone.

Why?

If it is activated, you can just pull up the phone and say "Hey Google" and up google comes.

but, what they don't tell you, is the fact that the microphone is listening 24/7 and Google's servers are scanning the voice info for information to send to their advertisers.....  This is why, I have Hey Google turned OFF, not only that, I turn off DATA, and WiFi when my phone is dark/locked.

Galaxyhunter
9 hours ago, rcameron said:

Last weekend my Son and his Family were up visiting from Wichita. After one of our meals we were sitting around the kitchen table and discussing options for family vacations for next year. One idea that was brought up was to rent a houseboat on Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas. We have done this in the past 3 times. 

No one did a search or anything it was just a discussion sitting around our table.

Just a little later I went into the other room and got on my laptop and pulled up Facebook. What do I see as the first Ad for a suggested post? Yuuuuup........ Rent a houseboat on Bull Shoals Lake in Beautiful Northern Arkansas. Okay now this is really strange.................

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon::puzzled-smiley-emoticon::STARTLE:

Big brother is REALLY watching you Rex,  But can you really blame them?    :SmileyTooth::confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

• Haha 1

Monkeytrucker

We have a couple of amazon echo dots in the house.  One in the living room where Estella resides and she uses it for music.  We have one in the bedroom (was the one I had back here in my room) that we have play relaxation music for 3 hours at bed time and then Alexa turns her music off.  Alexa is listening all the time and actually is helpful by answering questions and etc.  You have to call her name and then maybe the question like "Alexa, what is 20380 times 93870?"  and she gives the answer.  She will tell jokes, she will meow like a cat and that drives our house cat nuts trying to find the new cat. The skills that are available for her is amazing.  Amazon had a college challenge to develop "Social Bots" that you can talk to.  Over 3 months it was amazing how those programs developed.  It is fun to chat with Alexa and for elderly people who are not able to make it out into the world, do not have cellphones, and talk to people the social bot thing is great.  I believe there is a skill where you can chat with someone else via the Echo Dot.  If so that would be really fantastic for elderly and home bound people who have family.  They would be able to chat with the other selected person and say "Mom, have you taken your noon pill and had something to eat?"

The thing is that the Amazon Cloud is always listening.  However like the one in the bedroom, if it listens to us old people who are in our 54th year of marriage the only thing they might hear is an occasional fart.  The one in the living room will only hear the boss giving me orders.

Bottom line is that the only way you can be "reasonably sure" you are not being listened to would be totally out of cell phone range, the batteries pulled out of every electronic device, your car GPS unplugged, your car battery disconnected and then you stand butt-naked in the middle of a desert.  But then you might have eaten some McDonalds hamburger that could just possibly have nano scale RFID tags to tell them in you are in the range of one of their stores.  Laughable but not laughable when one thinks about it.

:confused-face-smiley-emoticon::puzzled-smiley-emoticon::sad-face:

DaveO430
2 hours ago, Monkeytrucker said:

Bottom line is that the only way you can be "reasonably sure" you are not being listened to would be totally out of cell phone range, the batteries pulled out of every electronic device, your car GPS unplugged, your car battery disconnected and then you stand butt-naked in the middle of a desert.  But then you might have eaten some McDonalds hamburger that could just possibly have nano scale RFID tags to tell them in you are in the range of one of their stores.  Laughable but not laughable when one thinks about it.

Amazon already knows if I look at something online anywhere, soon after I will get an email from them showing they have it. Privacy is over folks.

• Confused 1

RICHARD EDWARD
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Monkeytrucker said:

My vote would be the phone.  Your cell phone is used to track you everywhere.  As you go from place to place your phone keeps contacting different cell towers as you are passed from one to another.  Signal strength into 3 towers can triangulate your position within a very short distance.  Then if you have your WiFi turned on the store's computers via their WiFi know you have graced their doors.

Big brother and all of his commercial minions know all of the tricks.  We do not have smart phones, do not pay out the nose for cell connections and are at a disadvantage.  Everything works thru smart phones.  Home health people wants us to get Lifeline buttons that will work anywhere.  They stop asking when I ask if they will pay for smart phone service for us.  

I have a program on my tablet that looks at WiFi within reach.  It is amazing at the names people name their WiFi units.  Some are really neat, some are definitely off color and some just have the Mfg. name.  One that I find interesting while passing thru Lawrenceville, IL, is FBI Surveillance Van 2.  The shocking thing is how many are not secure. 

That's odd.  I am in Clarksville Tn and occasionally I see that wifi name on my list of available units.

Halfling
1 minute ago, RICHARD EDWARD said:

That's odd.  I am in Clarksville Tn and occasionally I see that wifi name on my list of available units.

LOL, yes, me too although it was posted on Facebook awhile back as I recall as a cool thing to do to freak out your neighbors!

Monkeytrucker

One neat thing with my internet/phone company, Frontier, is that they run all of their fiber optic lines thru their major connection to the internet at Marion, IL.  We do not have fiber optic from the house but 2 miles away at the MUX (multi-user-exchange) it enters their fiber optic system.  MUX units took the place of the big telephone offices where hundreds of rotary cans switched your calls.  The inside of those places sounded like a woodpecker convention.  Each can had 2 functions. First one was move up from 0 to level 9 and the second function was to rotate the wiper from 0 to 9.  Then the line went to another can and repeated the process and again to another can.  Each can had 101 wires connected to it. So electrically it was like a railroad switching yard where switches were moved to get each rail car to the string of cars to go out on the main line.

MUX units are scattered around the companies telephone net works and their connections are sent into larger networks.  Just like our nerve system works in our bodies.  There are numerous synapses between the point of a  pin prick on our fingers and our brain.  Each synapses decides the severity of and if to pass it on to the brain or ignore it.  In electronic circuits we use conductors that pass electrons but our bodies tend to use chemical conductors. 

So being my internet connections enters the WWW at Marion, IL (100+ miles away) my location is always shown as Marion, IL.  Now as to our cell phone.  That gets even funnier.  First we cannot get a "worth a hoot" connection here without going up to the top of the hill 1/2 mile away.  When we do we get a cell tower it is across the river in Indiana.  Because of that all calls we make are logged as 1 hour ahead of when we make the call being most of Indiana is in the eastern time zone.  People who visit here with more fancy phones that rate better connections than tracfone does, and being no one wears wristwatches anymore, well they look at their phone for the time and get all in tizzies as their phone shows them the eastern time and they are standing in central time.  OMG, I am running late!!!

When we got our cell numbers and being our county was not in any cell phone companies area we only had 2 choices of home districts.  One covered from our county up to central IL and the other covered from here down to the rest of southern IL.  However we did not hardly make any calls to those areas and any calls to the south western part of IN, which covers 99% of our calls would be on the more expensive roaming charge.  So we went to Wally World in Vincennes, IN and got our tracfones that use the 812 area code.  Even calls from home would have been roaming.  Some guy applied for the cell phone license for our county and the county west of us back when the FCC first issued them.  Well he got them and held onto them hoping some cell company would pay him huge money to get the license but they did not do that.  Instead later the FCC opened up all areas to multiple cell companies and the franchised licensed holders for areas were cut off at the roots.

Many if not most cell towers are owned by companies who put them up and wait for cell companies to come to them to rent antennas and computer space.  We have a cell tower that we can see the flashing red light on the top of it from here and the last time I checked my tablet says there are no cell frequencies being emanated from it.  The company that put it in ran a fiber optic line 5 miles, requiring boring equipment to lay the line.  Expensive!  There are 8 electric meter bases on a panel outside the building they put at the base of the tower and only one has a meter in it.  There are a set of cables ran up the tower to some antennas but as I said, my program does not register any RF emissions.  Probably some secret government system.  I do know the whole fiber optic cable that was laid thru out Southern IL was paid in most part by the government.  The stressed need was for all police departments in IL to have their communications handled thru a centralized system.  Great ides but has proven to be a total disaster as if you dial 911 your call might be handled by a operator 100 miles away and that operator just might not know that your rural fire department only 5 miles from you is the one that covers your home and they dispatch a fire department 16 miles from you.  In our county it does not make much difference anymore as the call is sent out to all fire departments in the county and even fire departments just across county lines as volunteer fire departments do not have enough members who are available during the day to answer the alarms.  VFD fire fighters today have to have the same training that large city fire fighters have.  In the VFD Estella and I were on that rule got rid of the old guys that just wanted to have a place to play cards at on the Monday meeting nights.  When Estella got her Illinois Certified Fire Fighter degree those old guys did not want to allow her to become a member and fight fires.  However the guys that went thru all of the training with her quickly invited them to take the training and become real "Trained" fire fighters like she was.

In the end, these modern communication companies just use schemes that maximizes and makes their systems more efficient even if the communications are handled hundreds of miles away from where you live.  And if you pass thru Podunk, USA, and a cell tower or business reads your cell phone you will forever get an email listing sales for Joe's Market in Podunk.

AZgl1800

that was a very good description of how our rural  areas cell tower systems work...

I am on  Verizon and mostly it does a great job, but this past summer we went to the rally in W VA and found out that VZW does not cover most of the west half of W VA....  I was very upset over that...

a friend was with us and his phone is on AT&T, and most of that route we took he still had coverage...

was really making me  want  to change  carriers..... but not for long, it would be very expensive for us as we own all of our phones now, and they aren't worth a dime on the used market, but do a great job for us still.

Monkeytrucker

I do not think that there is a true cell phone answer for the US.  Then when you figure in Canada, which has a different cell phone operating system it gets more confusing.

We have tracfone and pay $20 every 3 months.  Our minutes pile up and we do not really use them.  I think I have data minutes out the wazoo but really do not use data.  Estella demands to keep her flip phone.  Probably the best.

yooperfan

I'm hanging on to my OLD flip phone too, and when it dies, I have another one to take it's place.  After that one dies, I don't know what i'll do.  I would have 2 others, but they were no match for a battle with the washing machine.  OOPS.  I'don't like big brother watching me.  I'm not even a big fan of MrsY watching me.  More than once,on our way home from trips, we get calls saying we recently stayed at their properties and...... That's all we needed to hear.....CLICK.   As for devices that talk to you, I can imagine the other person being a scam artist telling you to send money.

Monkeytrucker

Nice thing about being where we have to pump daylight into and go borrow tomcats.  Cell phones really do not work at our location.  When I get a call from someone I do not know I answer  "Grays Corner PD, how may I help you?"  That usually evokes a studer then a click.  If they do try to come up with a sales pitch I say  "May I connect you to our computer fraud unit?"  That really gets a click.

Gray's corner is about a mile drive or 3/4 mile as the crow flies and was where my grandfather Gray had a store so therefore it got named that way.  Only one house on that corner in the middle of nowhere.  The people who owned the property decided the taxes on a piece of 100+ year old history was too much and had it destroyed.  If anyone was to question my phone answer I would just tell them it stands for Gray's Corner Produce Department.

I love how those direct marketers can use a local phone number and that number has been disconnected.  I love the calls wanting Estella to get a warranty on her Fiat.  I just tell them we have a 1994 Chevrolet PD truck that we would like to get a warranty.  CLICK

• Like 1