Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

Safety Items

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

Here is a tip to make your bike more visible to cages coming up behind you.  Those who have met us have seen our bears on the rack on the trunk of our wing.  One is red and the other is green.  They sit side by side and their arms are floppy and allowed to wave at people behind.  We also have two little pink and green monkeys designed to hang around a child's neck via the Velcro in their palms. 

The bears have ridden close to 50,000 miles and last year they had gotten so floppy I had to build a Luann platform to cable tie them in the up right position.  Over the years they have faded and maybe this winter they will get fabric painted.  They also break the wind coming in from behind Estella.

It is neat to have people pass us on 4 lane roads and just wave and act like they have known you for years.  Cars with kids will pull up alongside and the kids just wave and of course we wave back.  Here is a quick old man story, we were in St. Louis on the outer belt road and this beautiful Porsche roadster pulled up along side and this Playboy model quality young lady was just waving her hand off.  Made an old mans heart pound that she would be waving at me.... (YEAH RIGHT!)

At the Tom Lincoln Farm Fall Frolic it amazed us at how many people commented about the bike that was sitting just down the hill from where the exhibitors were and were amazed that we two old people were riding.  Just this week while we were getting our safety gear on in a Walmart parking lot and numerous people walking by commented on the bears.

So besides being safety items they are something that puts a smile on people's faces.  

The reason for this post is this photo of our wing in the craters of the moon that I posted in the Idaho Trip post down the forum from here.  This photo does not do both bears justice and the monkeys had not taken up residence hanging from the bottom of the wood seat.

IMG_8964.JPG

• Like 1

m2102

That's a very good way to get noticed Gary. I've been looking for a replacement or a buddy for my minion I have on my trunk lid. If you do decide to paint your safety crew, look for some glow in the dark paint. That would get you noticed when it started to get dark.

Monkeytrucker

We have thought about replacing them but with their history of staring at and waving at ???? number of people in 28 states we hate to do that.  We bought 5 stuffed animals at Goodwill and these two were the decided winners.  We even had a couple of Christmas themed passengers but the 3 runner ups got given to little kids.  

Yesterday when I was going into and out of the MD office they got comments.  One was parents unloading their ALS afflicted son in his late 20s.  The son let them know he liked the bears.  The other comments were from a couple much older that I.  We are glad that those $1 a piece stuffed animals bring joy to others.  Of course the other side to it is that we are getting to enjoy riding the bike carrying them.