Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy New Year and Welcome to 2019!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NASR 12!!!
Mountain Rider

How about a 2018 Great NW M&G?

32 posts in this topic Last Reply

Mountain Rider

I see a lot of M&G's across the country, but the Great NW seems quiet when it comes to get togethers.  What do you think, I'm sure there are plenty of us in the Washington, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho areas, not to mention BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan, to make something happen.  Any ideas as to location or time frame?  Who would be interested?

Just looking at the map, Missoula, Montana is pretty central, and mid July dodges the Holidays.  What do you think?  Or do you just want to stop by my place and have barbecue and a beer, followed by some BS around the fire pit? ;)

• Like 3

AZgl1800

I have always wondered by the NW is so sparse of  Meet 'n Greets, and I never see any RTEs planned at all.

what puzzles me more, is we never, ever, have anyone from California attend any Rally ever...

not once, not even when we had the big NASSIR up in port orchard, WA;

there was not a single person from California there.

Why?

I think Missoula would be a wonderful place to meet...

I have family there, but the distance is too great for me to get there anymore.

jobe05
6 hours ago, AZgl1800 said:

I have always wondered by the NW is so sparse of  Meet 'n Greets, and I never see any RTEs planned at all.

what puzzles me more, is we never, ever, have anyone from California attend any Rally ever...

not once, not even when we had the big NASSIR up in port orchard, WA;

there was not a single person from California there.

Why?

I think Missoula would be a wonderful place to meet...

I have family there, but the distance is too great for me to get there anymore.

Thats not entirely true.......

I know that during the annual Mosquito Round Up in Oregon that Rick, John and a few others put on for years, there were a few that showed up from California.  Great people also (Foodman and his wife for example). 

My opinion is that California is a LOOOOOOOOONG state.  It would be like someone from Georgia attending an event in Maine for the weekend.......  And there aren't any quick roads to get you out of California that isn't 106 degrees in the summer........   Probably why we don't get many visitors at all from the SW.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

pwhoever

I would be interested! I had to break off a trip last year with Parman and Beenshot last year after reaching Cody, Wy for health reasons and would love to come back that way...

• Like 1

AZgl1800

Kind of like being in houston, Tx and saying 'think I will just take a jog over to El Paso, Tx for supper"  LOL

not in one day, you won't.

• Like 2

Mountain Rider

If you start really early and jog really, really fast, you might make it as long as you don't plan on being home........ for a while.  :SmileyTooth:

• Haha 1

Mountain Rider

I'm going to research a few places over the Winter. If anyone is interested, let me know so I can try and work a deal. 

A few places I've considered is the Jelly Stone Campground in Missoula, Challis Hot Springs, in Challis, Idaho, and maybe even Alpine, Wyoming. Bozeman Hot Springs might be nice, with a KOA right next door. 

Even if all I can do is find a place for a quick beer and lunch together, I think we need do something to show our pride in what we ride. 

• Like 2
  • Yay 2

Mountain Rider
(edited)

Ok, I've been looking at Challis Hot springs for a camping meet-n-greet.  They have camping space for tents, trailers, and an on site B&B, plus a couple huge hot pools to soak away the miles.  I've also traced out a couple routes for a Saturday ride, each would be about a 5 hour ride (to long, to short?).  One of those going through Sun Valley, Ketchum, Hailey, and Arco (first city in the world to be powered by atomic energy).  Now we're trying to figure out the best time frame, getting a feel for how many folks would be interested, then see if I can work a deal on pricing.  Looking at the member map, I see there's at least eleven members here in Idaho, with a few more in Washington, Oregon, and our friends to the North (eh).  If we even get a few, it will be a start.

Edited by Mountain Rider
  • Like 1

Goldwings 4 Ever

There was a rider from California in Port Orchard.  I remember talking to him when he pulled over to get directions from us at the Camels. I don't remember his name but he was driving a GL1200.

• Like 2

Ghost Rider 2

I remember back several years ago there was a Steve Saunders M&G out north west.  Best I remember it was somewhere around Port Orchard. At that time I only had one week vacation time and just could not go.  I keep saying that someday when I retire I want to see the northwest.

• Like 1

Halfling
2 hours ago, Ghost Rider 2 said:

I remember back several years ago there was a Steve Saunders M&G out north west.  Best I remember it was somewhere around Port Orchard. At that time I only had one week vacation time and just could not go.  I keep saying that someday when I retire I want to see the northwest.

Yes, NASSIR 4 was in Port Orchard in 2011. It was the first one I went to and was an epic trip for us from Murfreesboro TN out there. My daughter rode out with me (11 days) and then my wife and her swapped out (plane fights) and the wife and I did the return trip. The photos in the header area at the top of the forum's front page came from that awesome trip!

• Like 2

Monkeytrucker

Three steps to having a m&g. 

First get 2 guys decide to meet in the middle. 

Second is to pick a place.

Third and most important thing is to get some guy like Buckfarack to suggest "If you have it at XXX place I will cook ribs and hey make it a 3 day party." 

If you build it they will come.

Ghost Rider 2

Sounds to me like a great trip.   Maybe a M&G will materialize and I can make the trip.

Jluvs2dive

Hey Dave,

As has been mentioned above, we've had several NW meetups from the SS forum over the years.  The first one I attended was mostly in Northern CA in 2007.  We've had anywhere from just a few of us, like 5 bikes and up to 30 plus bikes and one of them was a NASSIR rally that I hosted here in Port Orchard.  I also hosted one of our WCWJAMR's, (West Coast Wingnuts Jamboree and Mosquito Roundup, so named by the founders of it) in Port Orchard.  We've had them in a few places in WA, OR & Northern CA and we've had attendees from as far South as AZ including a couple of people from CA.  Getting people to commit can be a pain though.  I headed up the organization of them multiple times.  I would not be interested in being point in organizing one again any time soon, but I would be glad to attend or just meet up if the timing is right.  I didn't ride much this last Summer but I usually put on quite a few miles and usually take at least one longer trip during the Summer.  It's been a number of years since I've been to Glacier so I would definitely be interested in heading that direction.  I love BC and Alberta too and am open to other ideas as well.  Our last couple were on the border of OR & ID down in Snake River Canyon area at a campground called Copperfield.  Fantastic scenery and motorcycle roads down there!!  The last one talked about was also being thought about in OR but I refused to take point and nobody else did either and it fizzled out.  Like I said, I'd be interested but I definitely don't have the bandwidth to take the point right now.  I'm open to many areas and pretty much anytime in the Summer when the weather is good.  I'm not a big fan of the heat though, meaning 90 Degree plus, just not much fun riding in that.  Not opposed to riding in that on the way there but I don't like camping and riding continuously in those temps. ;-)  Earlier in the Summer is usually more pleasant temperatures.

John

• Like 3

Jluvs2dive
On 12/8/2017 at 12:09 AM, Goldwings 4 Ever said:

There was a rider from California in Port Orchard.  I remember talking to him when he pulled over to get directions from us at the Camels. I don't remember his name but he was driving a GL1200.

Yep, Walkabout was there at NASSIR4, from Lucerne CA.

Mountain Rider

Hey, John

It would be great to meet up with you.  NO worries, I won't force you into working, for now I'm just trying to get some folks together to relax and have some fun.  I have a couple routes mapped out for a ride if anyone is interested, but beyond that, I'd be good just grilling some burgers and dogs, maybe throw back a beer, and be like fishing camp, telling a few lies and more than a few tall tales . 

Port Orchard, huh.  I have an Aunt and a couple cousins that live there.  Myself, I was born and raised around the Yakima area (Selah, but nobody knows Selah).  Hopefully in the next year or so I'm going to come home and ride around the old stomping grounds.  The drive over Chinook and White Pass is wonderful, as is the area near Mt. Rainier and Packwood.

Till then.  :jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon:

Jluvs2dive

Lol, I didn't mean to make it sound like I wouldn't do anything, I just don't want to be on point. :-)

I know where Selah is and I ride Chinook at least a couple times a year.  It's my favorite pass!  Let me know when you're going to be in the area and maybe we can meet up, possibly on the pass, and then go ride though Rainier or Mt. St. Helens.

Here's one of my many pictures from many trips up Chinook.

Chinook Pass 2011-07-23 060.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AZgl1800

jealous I am,

but we get much the same from the Rocky Mountain range, just about any pass you go through, is good picture country.

Wolf Creek Pass sticks out in my mind for some reason, have not been there since the late '70s

Gunnison, Durango, Cortez, Lake City, and up in the NW part of Colorado, I once made a special trip to go see Craig, CO simply because that is my last name LOL

now that we are an Okie again, the Arkansas mountains provide us with plenty of fun closer in that CO...

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Ha  ....  rub it in, John! 

Out of the many times I've been to Seattle and area/Mt Rainier NP, I've yet to see the grand Ole Girl's summit!

Yup, some nice riding through Mt Rainier NP!

6940973234_d435c2584f_c.jpg

6266856150_77c33c2ab2_b.jpg

Idaho is a vastly underrated state for riding in!  

• Like 2

Jluvs2dive
6 minutes ago, Dusty Boots said:

Ha  ....  rub it in, John! 

Out of the many times I've been to Seattle and area/Mt Rainier NP, I've yet to see the grand Ole Girl's summit!

Yup, some nice riding through Mt Rainier NP!

Idaho is a vastly underrated state for riding in!  

Haha, sorry Ken!  I hosted two events here and it rained for both.  Funny, or not so funny thing is, one of them was on the historically driest weekend of the year, the same weekend as Seafair.  Up until that weekend WCWJAMR, it had only rained on that weekend 5 times since the 1800's when they started tracking it.  That was the 6th time. :-(  NASSIR 4 was in July, which is historically pretty dry as well.  It rained the whole weekend but dried up the day after. Sigh!  When I led the NASSIR guys up there the first day it was so foggy you could barely see the sides of the road, let alone the mountain.  At least the park was more visible but still quite damp. lol

Yes, Idaho has some awesome riding!! I could spend a lot more time down in the Snake River Canyon area and not tire of it, and Northern Idaho is beautiful too!!

• Like 1

Mountain Rider

You guys are making me so home sick, I can't tell ya.  I've driven those same roads and seen those same sights so many times, and still never tire of the wonder of it all.  Speaking of the rain, when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, we had a saying, "If you can see the mountain, it's going to rain, if you can't see the mountain, it's raining".  Those were some of my favorite riding areas when I was younger, dancing the old Honda 500 four, Vetter fairing and all, through the curves and along the tree lined stretches, ending up in Seattle, or Packwood, or some other comfy little spot for the night, then heading back in the morning.  The ride coming out of Naches, heading toward White Pass, was always pretty, especially when you would go through the tunnel and come out to see Rimrock lake.  Stopping for lunch at Trout Lodge was always great, too.  Another awesome ride was from Ellensburg to Yakima via the Ellensburg Canyon ( not over the hump, but on the old canyon road along the Yakima river).  Deer, elk, big horn sheep, pheasant, and coyote can all be seen from the road on any given day.

John, I'm going to hold you to it, if or should I say when I get over that way, we're going to go sight seeing.  Thanks everyone for the pictures, you can't imagine how much I miss being there.

Edited by Mountain Rider
  • Like 1

Mountain Rider

Well, retirement is on hold for now, the boss convinced me to hang in there for one more season.  That being said, I'd still like to get together if anyone is interested.  I'm working on getting an extended weekend sometime in June or July.  If I can get that squared away, I'll post a date on here, hopefully a month or so in advance.  If anyone can make it, I'll see about doing some BBQ and a beer.  From there, we'll figure it out. 

If any of you plan on being in the area this Summer, let me know.  We may be able to meet up as you pass through and do it that way.

THINK SPRING!!!

• Like 1

Halfling

May be in your area this June/July Dave. We're starting to plan our 2018 trip and it looks like the western route has won over the New England/Eastern Canada route. Not sure of the timing as yet but we will probably leave TN in June and work it to arrive in IN for NASR 11 on July 10th. We have to complete the route to be home for our Grand Daughter's FIRST birthday on July 15th.

Mountain Rider

John, that would be awesome, we'd love to meet you. 

Mountain Rider

Ok, let's start small. For all the members in Idaho, what do you think about lunch in Carey, Idaho?  For everyone on the member map, it's between 125 and 153 miles there, one way. They've got a little restaurant that has great finger food, and it's right around Craters of the Moon. Ride from home, meet around noonish, eat, BS, see who we are, then take our time getting home. Should make for a nice day. Anyone's welcome if you're around. Let me know if you're interested and we'll figure out a date, May maybe early June before it turns scorching hot.