Sign in to follow this  
medic27708

Trike needs new rear tires

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

medic27708

For your intellectually challenge for the day; I need new rear tires on a 2003 Roadsmith trike. What do ya'll recommend? I want traction wet and dry, quiet and minimal road noise. Any ideas??

DougW

I went with the recommendation of the guy at Dunn Tire, a pair of Hankook touring tires. Very quiet, nice ride and no traction problems at all. They are also long wear, I think 100,000 mile rated. Had them about 3 years now and they still look like near new tread on them.

DaveO430

I doubt you would have a traction problem with any tires on a trike, what you would need to worry about most would be hydroplaning. For that you need tires with good wide open tread grooves.

jobe05

I presently have Kumho's on mine from the manufacturer and quite frankly, they suck!  They aren't worn out yet, but quite worn down and I have noticed the couple thousand miles that I have put on them that they don't hold the road like they use to on corners.

I have a left over Yoko Avid Envigor Run flat from my other bike, so I think I'll just order 1 more and put them on and see what they do,  I loved the tire on the back of my 1800, I don't know why it wouldn't do well on the trike.

trike lady

There isn't much weight on the back wheels of a trike compared to an automobile, I agree on tires that handle on both wet and dry roads, some have a more aggressive tread pattern. 

yooperfan

I have not had a trike yet,  so I can't recommend one from personal trike experience, but I am currently using a C/T on my wing.  I have the same tire that was OEM on my S-10 trucks, a Uniroyal Tiger Paw.  They are long wearing tires and I have been happy with them for years, even decades. I will recommend using tires that you can find at any tire shop, a nation wide chain is even better.  That way, if you have a problem, you can find a matching replacement faster and easier.  Using run flat tires on bikes seems popular, so that could be something to consider also.  If you shop online, you can get a list of tires in your size and then narrow your search by speed and load ratings, and any other preferences such as whitewall, raised lettering, etc......  Be aware of directional tires, asymmetrical tires, and tread wear numbers.  If you are unaware of the things I have mentioned, google them all to help make an informed decision..  Knowledge is power.  It can help you avoid being sold more (or less) than you need or want.  If that's too confusing, I can try to help more if needed.

pwhoever

I just recently had to change out mine, long story. A retired longtime mechanic supervisor I know said to go with Goodyears and you won't be sorry. I ended up getting a set of Goodyear Eagle RSA tires from NTB. They weren't the cheapest nor were they the most expensive. I have only put about 1000 miles on them so far but I really like them. Seem pretty quiet along with giving a nice smooth ride.

pwhoever

Just reread the post above mine. There was mention of possibly using a run flat tire. I'm one of the ones that agrees on using a run flat CT on 2 wheels, however it is discouraged from being used on the trikes. It has something to do with the stiff sidewalls and is supposed to give a horrendously hard ride. Non run flats are preferred.

• Like 1