Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

Bill & John Bill & John
NAGF News Ticker
  • Times running out!!! Order your NASR 11 Items NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 T-Shirt Orders Have CLOSED!!!
  • NEW NEW NEW...Official NAGF Flags Now Avaialble In Our Online Store!!!
  • Two Sizes Available!!!
  • Quantities are limited, Order NOW!!!
  • NASR 11 Store Is Open!!!
Halfling

Kayak Rack

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Anyone built a kayak rack for their Aspen yet? I'm getting ready to put two 12 footers on top of mine.

Parman

No I don't have one yet but have been debating and looking for an idea of making one.

I checked with Aspen about the ones they sell. Design isn't very good. I won't buy one because the way they mount you lose your cooler space.

Halfling

No I don't have one yet but have been debating and looking for an idea of making one.

I checked with Aspen about the ones they sell. Design isn't very good. I won't buy one because the way they mount you lose your cooler space.

I agree! I just bought a pair of cheap roof racks off Amazon for the Xterra, I'm actually thinking of mounting these to a couple of 2X4s and then strap them to the top of the Aspen. Should work fine I'm thinking.

20170928_110716.jpg

Monkeytrucker

I do not understand why a simple set of kayak racks could not be mounted.   Just make some brackets that bolt between the jacks and the frame and have upright sockets (i.e. 1.25 inch square tube) that a simple light weight set of easily removable racks could mount to. 

A Dusty Boots rear bumper could have a pair of sockets mounted easily.  Then a cross bar on the front frame for sockets.

Another version would be foam pads between the kayaks and the toneau cover and ratchet straps to hold them on.  We used to use foam pads to mount our 17' aluminum canoe on top of our vehicles.

Halfling

I'm pretty good with wood and have a lot of woodworking tools BUT metal work is not something I do nor do I have the equipment for it so what sounds easy for some is not so easy for me...unfortunately.

jobe05

I would think if your going to put the wood braces across the top of the camper, Sitting on the camper, then forget the wood, just put the Kayaks directly on top, maybe a soft blanket between the kyak and the camper top and tie them down.  Will 2 kayaks fit side by side laying flat?

Halfling

The 2 kayaks total 6 feet side by side so they would hang over too much I'm afraid. The racks would allow them to be tilted and they would be contained within the width of the camper. Still a work in progress so I appreciate the ideas!

Monkeytrucker

John, how about simply using a piece of plywood to lay on top of the camper with carpet padding and then just attach a couple of wood 2x4 risers on each end to hold the canoes upright and support the curve of the kayaks.  Once you strap them down you should be golden.  I wonder if you strap the kayaks together using a couple of spacer blocks between them then the two would present to the top of the camper as a larger block and then could be strapped down easier. 

Just trying to think inside the box or maybe outside the box.

:puzzled-smiley-emoticon:  :confused-face-smiley-emoticon:

• Like 1

Pearl Rider

I just want to see the pictures of you in the kayak

Twowheeltourer

Aspen makes a kayak rack for the trailer but I don't know if it has to be on a new trailer or it will work on a older trailer. Call Peggy Trailmaster and she will have the answer 800 398 9090

Monkeytrucker
On 10/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, Pearl Rider said:

You have to remember Halfling was a Chief Petty Officer in the USA Kayak Crew.  

:wink-icon:

Pearl Rider

How long ago was that monkey trucker

• Like 1

Halfling

A long long time ago in a land far far away......

• Like 1

jobe05
8 hours ago, Halfling said:

in a land far far away......

Well........  You were on a Big boat.....  That is where you would want the land when your on a big boat.......

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Monkeytrucker

Well John has been promoted to "Captain of his Ship"  Well at least when "Admiral Nancy" lets him.  

:cant-believe-it-icon:

Monkeytrucker
On 10/16/2017 at 10:40 PM, Pearl Rider said:

How long ago was that monkey trucker

While sitting around the campfire at the IL M&G we got John telling some of his Navy stories.  He had a lot of experiences that were very fascinating and his Navy career should be applauded.  Thank you John.

Halfling
On 10/2/2017 at 8:06 PM, Pearl Rider said:

Here ya go!

image000000.jpg

Monkeytrucker
(edited)

Hey John,  today I had an inspired thought by something I saw concerning a kayak.  Saw a full size camping trailer with kayaks stored on the side of it.  The guy had put D-Rings and ratchet strapped 2 kayaks on the side.  Yes they stuck out the thickness of the kayak but if anyone was that close they would have removed the truck mirrors.

So my thought came to the subject of your Aspen and kayaks.If you were to clamp a metal tube onto your tongue in front of the camper and back behind the camper with a metal tube upright on the end to secure the kayak between the camper body and the uprights you could carry one belly out on each side.  Plus you would not have to remove them to put the camper up as they would be fore and aft of the tent.  If you were to put two tubes side by side and made the tubes one size larger than the tubes going out to hold each kayak you could push each holder tube back to the main body and not in the way when you were toting kayaks.  Being you now ride a trike the extra width would not be a problem as you probably ride down the center of the lane and the kayaks would not obscure your rear view as your mirrors would be above and between the kayaks.

I think that makes more sense than the overhead kayak carrier that Brady offers.  And your camper would look streamlined and maybe get you a little more mpg.

Edited by Monkeytrucker