Sign in to follow this  
Monkeytrucker

It scared me!

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Monkeytrucker

When we pulled the Aspen out to the highway behind the bike the gravel road scared me more than it ever had.  With no rain for weeks so the ground was like concrete and the round river rock is like ball bearings on the mile we have to go to get to hard road.

So the new project is to build a trailer I can run the bike onto, secure it and then crank the bed off the ground.  It only has to go one mile at a time so it does not have to do more than get the bike and Aspen to the hard road.  Might sound like a bit of overkill but we want to keep riding and this will take the scare factor out of it for this old man.

We rode in the rain last Sunday and the water puddles were not near as scary as the rocks are.  We went down on that rock stuff with the 1200 and do not want to do that again.

Have the shop semi cleaned out and my soap stone in hand and have started drawing it out on the floor.

• Like 1

Monkeytrucker

Oh how quick things can change.  I have designed in my mind a lifting trailer to put the bike on.  Talking with a friend today and he reminisced about trailing a bike from Chicago to So. IL.  Made me feel dumb.  I would use Frankentruck to pull the trailer, he has a winch, a super strong pipe bumper and can well hold the weight of the 1800.  So now the project is to make a wheel cradle on an arm  so I can just roll the bike front tire into, secure the bike and then lift the front of the bike off the ground and tow it to the hard road.  Just have to remember to put the bike in neutral.

An aside for all of you deer hunters.  The guy farming next to us just had a deer cost him $6,000 +.  A dropped deer rack managed to puncture 2 tires on his new combine and they were not repairable.  Plus he lost a half day of shelling corn.  And we think motorcycle tires are expensive.  But then $6 k compared to the $450,000 combine is cheap.  If I were the calculating kind I would run the cost ratio of both.

Monkeytrucker

have the front tire lift all drawn out on the floor of the shop.  Remembered a hyd jacking cylinder I had from a old HF boom.  Might just make it the lifting force.  But again what I start out to make always gets modified to be easier.

AZgl1800

are you going to use vertical pipe ramps with roller wheels to hold it in place?

Monkeytrucker

Am going to make a teeter totter type  set up that when I drive the front wheel up on it (it will be sitting on the ground) it will flip forward and chock the back of the front wheel.  The front of the wheel will go between to angled tubes so it cannot flop side to side.  One strapped the whole front of the bike will be lifted either using the hydraulic jacking cylinder or just pulling it up about 3-4" with the winch on Frankentruck.  The tire holding assembly is going to be mounted to the truck trailer hitch via 2 H-frames acting as a 2 link suspension.  The whole thing is going to be made out of 1" square heavy wall tubing where strength is needed and light tubing where not. I have a piece of 2" square heavy wall to go into the truck hitch.

Of course the design might just change before done.

I only have to tow it a mile out and a mile back in.  Do not have to break any speed records and if I keep the bike in the tire tracks on the road things should work.  Should work with the trailer hooked to the bike.

We just do not want to give up riding so this should make it more fun and less fear.  Cage dangers we can handle as good as anyone else.

yooperfan

Gary, is it hard to ride the mile solo, with the trailer?  If not, your bride could drive the cage or ATV, while you ride the wing out to the road.  It could just be a short term fix while you work on the long term solution, or a plan B.

Monkeytrucker

All is up in the air about the mile.  Heavy farm traffic made it reasonably safer to drive.  The big thing would be to simply get some rain so the gravel would be anchored instead of being loose ball bearings.

Building the wheel lift has gone on the back burner due to winterizing needs.  We are now needing to make deer cages to go over our pecan trees they almost killed last year.  Using old rolls of fence wire to do that.  Have to put some of it around Estella's cypress tree to stop the buck deer from using it to rub the velvet off their antlers.

Have to haul Bob the Dog to Indiana this morning to get him out of our hair (AGAIN).  later today we are going to the eye doctor to see about them doing Estella's cataracts.  And to see if they will be able to do a check up on my right eye has problem from diabetes.   The last week of October we have at least one MD apt. a day between the 2 of us and one day we have 2.  Getting old is a BITC!