Our Official NAGF Flags

are now available in the NAGF Online Store in TWO Sizes! Don't miss your chance of being one of the first to fly the new high visibility NAGF Flag!!!

Click Here To Go To the NAGF Online Store!!!

Snag_1ffcf50.png

NAGF Admin NAGF Admin
NAGF News Ticker

• Happy 4th of July Everyone!!!
  • New Members are always welome!!!
  • NAGF
Halfling

Our New Trike

49 posts in this topic Last Reply

Halfling

Sun came out, I went out for a few circles around the block and got back after about 30 miles. Big block I guess! Nancy got her first ride in as well!

20170902_123931-1.jpg

20170902_123912-1.jpg

• Like 2

Halfling

Gave the trike her first warm water bath this morning. No soap, just warm water with a micro fiber towel then hand dried with another soft micro fiber towel. Looking good!

Must Do's: got to get the wiring done for hooking up the Aspen camper trailer (top of the list for Illinois M&G), install belly pan, install throttle boss, pay tax and register (ouch!), and I'm sure the list will continue to grow!

Halfling

Had two of the shorter keys made at Home Depot (27R blanks). They will open glove box, trunk and gas tank but will not operate the ignition. I also ordered a couple of black oem radio knobs and will be making some knob keys to leave in gas tank and glove box key holes. Had these on my 2003 and loved them. Easy to take out when concerned about security.

Halfling

Found out the trailer light plug of the CSC trike kit is proprietary BUT it is a 6 wire so...I cut it off and replaced it with a flat 5 wire plug (taping off the 6th hot wire for now). The connections were colored coded the same as standard so it was pretty straight forward. I did a good solid connection using solder and heat shrink. Mated it up to my existing 5 wire flat connector on the camper trailer and all worked as per design! Good to go!

Note: The trailer is wired to accept 6 wire so I'll be reworking it over the winter.

trike lady

That's a nice blue, looks nice. Congrats.

• Like 1

Halfling

Got the registration done today, was able to transfer old one over AFTER I paid the sales tax .. cha-ching!!!

Not much cash left to purchase any farkles with!

• Like 1

Dusty Boots

Got the registration done today, was able to transfer old one over AFTER I paid the sales tax .. cha-ching!!!

Not much cash left to purchase any farkles with!

I hear you John!

I take mine in on Friday for it's safety check then off to get it registered and will have hand over a bunch of cash to the Ontario Goberment for sales tax!   :sad-face:

Halfling

First fill up!! Gas light came on today at 165 miles. I filled up at 174 miles and it was 30.2 mpg. Not sure what I should expect for a trike so if anyone has info p!ease let me know!

AZgl1800

I hear you there loud and clear!!!

I just registered my "new to me car, a 2001 Suburban purchased for very small numbers" and all it accomplished was to change the tag's owner to me, KaChing!!! $165.00 please, and your tag runs out in 2 months, thank you :(

The tag stays with the vehicle down here, and the new owner has to get it registered in his name.

that can cause some funny issues, like we have 30 days to get a new vehicle insured and registered in our name...and I waited all of that 30 days.... we made a trip to  Austin, Texas and purchased a Toy Hauler and pulled it home with that new Suburban..... and a few of those Texas highways are Toll Roads, and they don't use a Toll Booth, so I just kept on driving....

later on, I found out that Texas just uses a camera to catch your license plate and sends an invoice by mail.

ha ha ha, that old Suburban owner is going to get the Toll charges tee hee.

and he won't answer my text messages so I betcha he deleted my phone number from his phone...

too bad, so sad.

going back home, the Toy Hauler blocks the car's license plate, so the toy hauler registered owner is going to get the bill.

tee hee again.

AZgl1800

First fill up!! Gas light came on today at 165 miles. I filled up at 174 miles and it was 30.2 mpg. Not sure what I should expect for a trike so if anyone has info p!ease let me know!

I was talking to several trike owners this past weekend, and you are right on the money....

GLester is getting 30-34 depending on speed and hills/level ground.

Halfling

Heading to Banner Elk NC tomorrow to visit my sister. Will be taking the scenic route over through Tellico Plains, Cherohala Skyway, etc. It will be our first trip on the trike. Its not completely ready for Nancy's comfort yet (need additional Baker Wings) but it will be a good shakedown cruise I'm sure! Not pulling a trailer, just going to attach the ice chest carrier to the hitch and pack a picnic lunch etc.

Halfling

Equipment update:

Installed: Hitch Cooler Rack, Mustang Passenger Back Wedge, Lower Trike Wings

Have but not installed: Belly Pan

Ordered but not received: Front Pocket Power Plug, Front Fender Extension, Comfort Grips, Throttle Boss, Upper Hand Wings, Middle Dual Baker Wings, Passenger Armrest Trim/Lights

AZgl1800

why would you need the throttle boss, when the bike has a very good cruise control?

pwhoever

Cruise is great when you are traveling down lightly traveled roads with little traffic. If you travel down highways with constantly changing speeds and more traffic, it's not as easy to rely on cruise control. Much the same when driving A car. A long day of travelling and it will help with less fatigue to the hand. I am using a different but similar one called the Throttle Rocker. Comes in very handy because I can use the heel of my hand to help with the throttle instead of relying on having to grip the throttle.

• Like 1

Halfling

Yep, what Mike said! I had a wide/large throttle boss on my 2003 and wouldn't be without it. I'm putting g an inexpensive one on for now until I can afford new grips, then I'll upgrade it.

P.S. Installed a Ram Ball on the passenger handle and attached a drink holder to it for Nancy.

Parman

I have the Throttle Boss and use the heck out of it. Cruise is nice but I rather control my throttle. I probably only use cruise about 25% of the time. Mainly when traveling in small groups on open road to set the pace and maintain it.

• Like 1

jobe05

SO happy you got a trike John!!  I know you have wanted one for a long time and Im glad it finally came about.  Good things come to those who wait!!

As far as a throttle Boss.......  I wouldn't live without one, Love it!!  I rarely use cruise control for some of the reasons Mike mentioned above.  THe throttle boss really saves my wrist.

• Like 1

AZgl1800

I had a the Throttle Rocker installed on my ST-1100 which did not own a Cruise Control...

so I know of what you speak of... and yes, in stop and run traffic, a CC is useless.

Halfling

Safely arrived at my sister's in Banner Elk NC last night at 1015. About 11 hours and covered 413 miles. We took the scenic route and had long rest stops along the way. Averaged 34 MPG. Here's the details/observations...

Been out of the saddle too long...our butts hurt even with the sheepskin!

The Mustang Wedge for the passenger given to us by JGL351 was good but Nancy likes it without better

Additional wind wings are a MUST!

Throttle Boss is a MUST!

GPS and Cell phone mounting is a MUST!

Power P!ug in left pocket is a MUST!

I didn't think it would make much difference but I now realize exactly how much the handle bar adjustment kit helped my comfort level, now another must!

The trike is louder than the 2 wheeler...drive train maybe plus it has a slight rumble to the exhaust. I suppose the rear tires add some noise too.

Trunk holds LESS than MY WIFE thought!!! Go figure....

The trike is a different ride, takes more arm strength to drive and sharp curves requires leg pressure on tank to stay in seat, Nancy had to hold on to handles a few times as well. Dodging road hazards is a different mindset too, trike responds very quickly to handlebar jerks and you have rear wheels to think about too, can't straddle anything....not to mention pulling in to gas pumps, came really close once when I forgot about rear width!!!

The apprehension that I was experiencing on 2 wheels is totally gone!

So far, I like it a lot, just need to take care of some creature features!

• Like 1

jobe05

Going to a trike for me, made the ride so much more relaxing and enjoyable.  I no longer worry about dropping the bike, I no longer think about "Options" of what lane to be in, what direction to be pointed in when I stop or things jumping out in front of me because now I have different options.  Pulling the camper is so much easier also!  Huge plus.

• Like 2

jobe05

The trailer performed perfectly! Very happy camper. The ramps also performed well. I was worried about belly drag on the trailer edge but the ramp design kept it clear by several inches, in addition I was concerned about the trailer hitch dragging on the ground but also had about 3 inches of clearance...sweet!

What is the make of the trailer John?  and the ramps?

jobe05

Yea, I had seen that thread after I posted this.  Good deal on those!!

Halfling

Yea, I had seen that thread after I posted this.  Good deal on those!!

I have a single extra ramp if anyone should buy a set and need a third one...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use,